Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2021, 02:56 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Isn't that what 100% in firecalc means? That I can handle any 30 year sequence of returns that has happened in the last 115 years? As it sits right now, we can handle the worst ever and have $400k left over. 2008 was a cakewalk for new retirees compared to 1969.
As they say, “Past performance is no indication of future results”.

I'm just saying that agreeing to a budget removes a lot of the differences in future spending expectations that are often the source of conflict in a relationship.
austin944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2021, 04:14 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I love it. Do it. Happy wife, happy life. Enjoy retirement.
livingalmostlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:23 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Landscaping is like retirement.

You cannot just look at what it's going to look like when you finish--on Day One.

You've also got to anticipate how it's going to look 10 years ahead--and 20 years ahead.

Just because it looks good today doesn't mean it's going to grow up to be good.

I like how you've got a good plan. That's a great place to start. Spend the $.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:26 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
just say DW no more clothes for YOU !!!! ;-)
Beat me to it. lol
Well this type of spending is not a continuous yearly type of spending, so you are probably okay all in all.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:32 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes landscaping is a way to spend money, and you can spend a lot on maintenance costs for a plan like this one. An alternative is to use plants native to your location. We've almost got rid of all the grass in the yard. In a few more years we'll have a no maintenance yard. For more information see https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/Na...ng/index.shtml
Old 03-16-2021, 06:32 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

So corn18 is this really the way you planned on gliding into retirement? You seems obsessed with fear of spending money. It actually sounds like your money is controlling you instead of you controlling your money.

Every expense or random worry turns into you starting a thread and kind of beating yourself up with should I or shouldn't I.

Why should all of us here have to talk you into spending your own money? It's not our money it's your money. You say I know we can afford it but what about X... posters debunk X and then you say fair enough but what about Y...

None of this can be very relaxing to you or your spouse..

You keep saying you have enough and even more then enough but then act like paying for some landscaping or etc, is the most stressful thing in the world. You money is there to give you and your DW a happy and contented life.

Enjoy your money and the things it does for you, try to quit letting money drive the bus, you drive the bus... That's why you worked your butt off to get in this position.

Enjoy your new yard...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:19 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am in the "do it" camp, just with the caveat of "Don't get used to it!"
Old 03-16-2021, 09:13 PM   #48

Did that include new irrigation?
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:04 AM   #49

I would get myself a 30K, 15-18 month 0% CC and spread that 30K over 15-18 months. Obviously 5K to start. We did this with our house build. Her 30K went for the kitchen and my 30K went for two bathrooms. Worked very well.

I get where you are coming from with the 4 days. It's like when you leave on a cross country trip and literally 10 miles down the road the kids need to stop to use the restroom.

Sign of things to come?=DW loves a Mimosa on a weekend morning. For many years now it has been some prosecco with a splash of OJ. Prosecco is $10/bottle at the base excahnge. 2 weeks ago the wife says "pick up some champagne while you are out". I said "you mean prosecco right?". She said "nope, champagne". Champagne at the base exchange is $50/bottle. 5 fold increase over prosecco. My worry is RE will be just like this. I will plan for X and DW will grow into X times 5. First world problems.

Good luck Corn. Blow the dough!

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:05 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
Did that include new irrigation?
It did not. We have full irrigation in the yard and current beds so we'll need a quote for that. The second guy we had come out did our irrigation so we'll see what he charges for that.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:23 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
...Labor costs are killer. I was quoted $300 an hour just to have people dig up some dead trees that weren't even all that tall. I ended up cutting down the trees myself and just paying to have the stumps ground out...
I am curious about those $300 per hour - is that for a whole crew and includes advanced equipment? My handyman gets $30 per hour, but he is very good, and when I hire a landscape crew, it's $25/h for the main guy and the core equipment he has, and $15/h for each of his 2 to 4 (possibly undocumented?) helpers. Add to this the actual cost based on receipt from the rental center for any more specialized equipment that he may need (in your example I would imagine he doesn't own a stump grinder).
Leo1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:39 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Well, DW is getting estimates for putting in landscaping, including a kick butt fire pit area. Estimates are coming in @ $35k. We'll see what the final tally is because she is getting all the bells and whistles in the estimates.
Please help!
A reasonable middle ground between the complete solution you are getting quoted and doing it all yourself to save money (or to reign in your fear of spending, which is closer to where your issue lies) is to act as the general contractor of sorts and hire out sub projects and do the smaller things yourself. That's what I would probably do, and especially planting all that shrubbery sounds like a fun thing to do over a few weekends. In my case it's particularly curative for work hangover I may be experiencing at the time. And it may also help bridge the gap of time management going from a structured work environment to a retiree life, which if you don't watch it can get unstructured easily.

On the other hand the paver project for the fire pit area I wouldn't want to touch, this is a lot of heavy lifting and specialized techniques and experience are needed to get everything just right on the first try. But there are many contractors that do just this kind of thing, for example in this area you can hire Home Deport of all places to put down pavers that you buy there. They aren't very expensive because they know people go there to save money; a neighbor here had his pavers done by them pre-Covid, and there are many other paver places too. Same for irrigation, which isn't hard after you master a few basic ideas, but has a bit of learning curve and requires moderate digging.
Leo1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Just north of the 41st parallel, near the 88th meridian west.
^ I agree with the middle ground idea. Personally I would hire out the paver work. I'm too old to take on a paver patio project, with its material hauling, compaction, etc.

I would have a nursery deliver the plantings and mulch. Then I would plant the plants, spread mulch and do the irrigation system.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:04 AM   #54

I don't want to do any of it.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:07 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Just north of the 41st parallel, near the 88th meridian west.
Quote:
I don't want to do any of it.
I understand. Your plan and price to have that done by others looks good IMO. I would have it done and do as others have suggested in amortizing it over a few years so that it doesn't look like a big expense just starting retirement.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:18 AM   #56

You say you have $50K discretionary per year. So now you have $15K left for this year, just make sure you and DW are on the same page.
If this is causing you to pause or causing problems in the marriage, something to think about and discuss with your wife.
The design looks nice, and if you will enjoy during your retirement, so go for it.

one thing to add, I have noticed in our neighborhood, "new" landscaping always includes lots of new small plants/trees, mostly so there aren't "bare looking" spots. These grow in over the years and the yard starts to look crowded. Pretty soon, folks are taking out plants/trees that were put in! So think about how the yard will look in several years, and make sure plants are spaced or put in less.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:30 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
You say you have $50K discretionary per year. So now you have $15K left for this year, just make sure you and DW are on the same page.
If this is causing you to pause or causing problems in the marriage, something to think about and discuss with your wife.
The design looks nice, and if you will enjoy during your retirement, so go for it.

one thing to add, I have noticed in our neighborhood, "new" landscaping always includes lots of new small plants/trees, mostly so there aren't "bare looking" spots. These grow in over the years and the yard starts to look crowded. Pretty soon, folks are taking out plants/trees that were put in! So think about how the yard will look in several years, and make sure plants are spaced or put in less.
To be honest, I think I am more excited about getting the landscaping than my wife.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:48 AM   #58

Well, there you go, thats your answer. So enjoy the new yard and your retirement!
Old 03-17-2021, 10:25 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
To be honest, I think I am more excited about getting the landscaping than my wife.
You do seem to jump back and forth with your posts. At first, it sounded like you were blaming this on your DW.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:30 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post
You do seem to jump back and forth with your posts. At first, it sounded like you were blaming this on your DW.
That's what my wife said.