Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Can I move part of my IRA funds to another bank?
Old 03-25-2016, 10:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Can I move part of my IRA funds to another bank?

I visited a credit union this week that has a CD with a decent EWP for IRA monies. I have my traditional IRA Invested at Vanguard (I am retired and no longer contributing) and have some uninvestd cash in that IRA account that I would like to transfer to this credit union's IRA CDs.

The rep told me the government only allows one IRA account and that I would get in a lot of trouble opening and transferring money into an IRA account at their bank. She seemed a bit green and that didn't seem accurate. Should I have been allowed to do this?

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk HD
Debinnov a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 10:28 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debinnov a View Post
I visited a credit union this week that has a CD with a decent EWP for IRA monies. I have my traditional IRA Invested at Vanguard (I am retired and no longer contributing) and have some uninvestd cash in that IRA account that I would like to transfer to this credit union's IRA CDs.

The rep told me the government only allows one IRA account and that I would get in a lot of trouble opening and transferring money into an IRA account at their bank. She seemed a bit green and that didn't seem accurate. Should I have been allowed to do this?
That is hogwash. You can have as many as you want.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:21 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

That is what I thought. I even tried to tell her several times that she was mistaken and she was adamant. I will be making a call to her Mgr. tomorrow. Frustrating because it is a smaller regional credit union 14 hours from me and I wanted to handle things while I was travelling in that area this past week.

Wonder how much business she has cost them...

Old 03-25-2016, 11:41 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Agreed. If you're in the US, at least, I know of no such limitation and myself would be afoul of it right now. Definitely express your disappointment at the unfruitful initial exchange with their rep and see if they can make the rest of the process easier for you, given the distance & opportunity cost already lost.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:17 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have occasionally bought CD's from accounts at other institutions. You might check with Vanguard and see if you can also. Even if they cannot get the one you are looking at, they may be able to match the rate. It would be less trouble than setting up a new account.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debinnov a View Post
....The rep told me the government only allows one IRA account and that I would get in a lot of trouble opening and transferring money into an IRA account at their bank. ...
I guess that I am in big trouble then because I have tIRAs with Vanguard and PenFed.

You would have been better off to insist on talking to a manager while you were there.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:29 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Run far away from that bank they appear to be clueless.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yes you can..... I've had as few as one and as many as eight at one time (all at "different" institutions). I've split them, merged them, opened new ones, closed a few and even done partial transfers from one to another.

If you have more than 250k in an FDIC insured tIRA, you probably want tIRA accounts at different banks to stay under the 250k FDIC limits in each account.

Just be careful how you move the money around. Read up and understand the "important" differences between things like direct tIRA trustee to trustee transfers, withdrawals, and especially issues with "rollovers", etc. I've found it best to stay away from rollovers when moving money around. To many issues and limitations. Direct trustee to trustee transfers have worked very well for me.

It's not complicated but the terminology can be a little confusing at first.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:12 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you, everyone for the feedback.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:20 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Run far away from that bank they appear to be clueless.
This.

I would not want to have an IRA at a place that knows so little about IRAs.

My MIL had a half-dozen IRAs at a local bank. Every year she made a contribution the bank created a separate account, with each a separate CD (like the CD was the 'account', or something). And we wanted to consolidate hers with the spousal rollover from her recently departed husband (my FIL). Paper work required for each and every 'account' there.

Anyway, it was a real pain to unwind it and get it all transferred to Fidelity. But once there, smooth as silk. One IRA, one RMD. EZ.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

This answer must be taught at “financial institution college” because a few years ago I had money at a local bank and wanted to split the funds between the bank and Vanguard. I received the same information from the bank.
Bflotomny is offline   Reply With Quote