Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-13-2021, 12:24 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Hit Ctrl-F and type in FIRECalc and keep hitting return until you get to the last one on the page.
Got it.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2021, 12:39 PM   #22

Should I continue to rent or buy?
Old 07-13-2021, 04:57 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Google NYT rent vs buy.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...alculator.html

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
This is for my personal scenario. I know you are one of the legendary experts on this forums.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:36 PM   #25
gone traveling

@F.I.R.E User

are you the same user "Vanguard User" on bogleheads? The user with the thread that was recently locked?
chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
@F.I.R.E User

are you the same user "Vanguard User" on bogleheads? The user with the thread that was recently locked?
He obviously is the same guy, which is fine, a lot of us jump between forums as we get different things out them. But between the two forums, he has received many hundreds of thoughtful replies to his repetitive, thought-free questions.

After wearing out this forum a couple months ago, he apparently discovered Bogleheads and went over there and asked the same questions over and over until their aggressive moderation locked his threads. I encourage him to go back through all the threads both here and there and actually read the replies and the links. If he did, he would find he has already been given an encyclopedia of knowledge about finances.
Exchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:46 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Why have some generic non confrontational responses been removed?
Old 07-16-2021, 12:49 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
No posts have been removed from this thread.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Which ones?
Old 07-16-2021, 12:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Thanks for update.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:01 PM   #31

F.I.R.E User:

Firecalc mentioned in this thread is the calculator linked at the bottom of the page of this forum. It runs your 'plan' through historical cycles. Make sure you fill in all the tabs across the top. Others have linked info to figure out your expected SS income.

You are asking for advice - which you are getting but no one here has a crystal ball to 100% accurately predict the future.

My advice:
* Save as much as you can.
* Take advantage of the ESPP to the maximum allowed. Personally I was able to do 10% of my salary with a 15% discount. I churned it - selling the shares every 6 month window to invest in other funds. Couldn't guarantee that kind of return anywhere else.
* Track your spending. This is different than budgeting... it's see where you spent the money, after the fact. Seeing this may give you ideas of where you can trim your spending (to save more). Over time you'll have solid data on what you will need in retirement income.
* Don't post GIANT screaming statements at us. We don't like to be yelled at. Bold, italics, all fine. Font size changes make it scream.
* Read and absorb what advice you are given. Refine your questions based on what people have said... Don't ignore the responses and ask the same questions (unrefined by previous responses) over and over.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
F.I.R.E User:

Firecalc mentioned in this thread is the calculator linked at the bottom of the page of this forum. It runs your 'plan' through historical cycles. Make sure you fill in all the tabs across the top. Others have linked info to figure out your expected SS income.

You are asking for advice - which you are getting but no one here has a crystal ball to 100% accurately predict the future.

My advice:
* Save as much as you can.
* Take advantage of the ESPP to the maximum allowed. Personally I was able to do 10% of my salary with a 15% discount. I churned it - selling the shares every 6 month window to invest in other funds. Couldn't guarantee that kind of return anywhere else.
* Track your spending. This is different than budgeting... it's see where you spent the money, after the fact. Seeing this may give you ideas of where you can trim your spending (to save more). Over time you'll have solid data on what you will need in retirement income.
* Don't post GIANT screaming statements at us. We don't like to be yelled at. Bold, italics, all fine. Font size changes make it scream.
* Read and absorb what advice you are given. Refine your questions based on what people have said... Don't ignore the responses and ask the same questions (unrefined by previous responses) over and over.
ESPP is max 15% allowed of salary. Isn’t that a big risk? PC app shows that we should not more than 3% total portfolio.

The bold italic was to give emphasis so it’s easier to read. I apologize if it came as screaming.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:16 PM   #33

For the ESPP - that's why I churned it (sold it as soon as the window closed) - locking in the 15% discount plus any gains. I used the proceeds to buy diversified holdings.

Where else can you get a guaranteed return (the discount) in that short of a window.

On the plan I was on - it was 6 month windows. If you need the cash - it only hurts the first 6 months. You can use the proceeds after the first sale to offset the extra withholding for the current investment. But - pretty soon you get used to not having that 15% in your paycheck - just like maxing the 401k, or any other 'pay yourself first' diversions from your paycheck.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #34

Quote:
For the ESPP - that's why I churned it (sold it as soon as the window closed) - locking in the 15% discount plus any gains. I used the proceeds to buy diversified holdings.

Where else can you get a guaranteed return (the discount) in that short of a window.

On the plan I was on - it was 6 month windows. If you need the cash - it only hurts the first 6 months. You can use the proceeds after the first sale to offset the extra withholding for the current investment. But - pretty soon you get used to not having that 15% in your paycheck - just like maxing the 401k, or any other 'pay yourself first' diversions from your paycheck.
I have 2% of check as ESPP. I do sell them as soon as itís allowed which is after 1 year.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
My error. Mixed it up with the 4% thread.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #36

Quote:
My error. Mixed it up with the 4% thread.
What was removed?
Old 07-16-2021, 01:28 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
What was removed?
Nothing.
I was looking for a response of mine in this thread, but I posted it in the 4% thread.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
I have 2% of check as ESPP. I do sell them as soon as it’s allowed which is after 1 year.
Ok - so 2% of your annual salary goes to ESPP, which you convert to other holdings once a year. So at any given point you have $1200 max in your company stock. (2% times your 60k salary). Your networth is $547,498. So the percentage of your portfolio or net worth, invested in your company stock, is about 0.2%. It's simple math:
(2% * $60k) = $1200.
($1200/547498) *100 = 0.2%

I think the risk you worry about is minimal. Risk of holding a single holding gets real at a much bigger percentage... 1/5 of 1% is not a significant risk.

Edited to add: If you didn't have a significant price discount in your ESPP, it might not be worth it - but in this case - it's worth it, IMO.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:32 PM   #39

Quote:
Nothing.
I was looking for a response of mine in this thread, but I posted it in the 4% thread.
Thanks.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:37 PM   #40

Quote:
Ok - so 2% of your annual salary goes to ESPP, which you convert to other holdings once a year. So at any given point you have $1200 max in your company stock. (2% times your 60k salary). Your networth is $547,498. So the percentage of your portfolio or net worth, invested in your company stock, is about 0.2%. It's simple math:
(2% * $60k) = $1200.
($1200/547498) *100 = 0.2%

I think the risk you worry about is minimal. Risk of holding a single holding gets real at a much bigger percentage... 1/5 of 1% is not a significant risk.

Edited to add: If you didn't have a significant price discount in your ESPP, it might not be worth it - but in this case - it's worth it, IMO.
Once I get the profits from ESPP I take that money and invest into Roth IRA - FZROX and/or taxable VTSAX

NW changed to: $543,449 today according to Mint.

Tags
f.i.r.e, fidelity, taxes, texas, vanguard