Can I retire in 5 years?

Thank you.

I don't have issues with coworkers, the main cause was lack of work. My company does not have much work, but they keep hiring new people while telling old employees to use vacation hours. Also the incompetent workers use up budget without finishing deliverable and I am always told to clean up mess with minimal hours left. It is a ridiculous situation.

Wife is always complaining and also my teenager son always causes troubles. Overall my life sucks despite of my 2.15 million networth.

I just want to tell them I quit in one day.

I totally get it. Back in 2008-2009 I was worried every day I was going to get laid off, coupled with the fact that my wife stopped working around that time after the birth of our third kid, I was extremely stressed.

Around 2014 it got even worse as I had issues with a co-worker that was trying to get me fired. I had a bit of a nervous breakdown but somehow made it through and developed a plan to clean up my co-worker's mess. Fast forward another year and they promoted me and made me the boss of my problem co-worker! They quit about six months later and I have enjoyed job security ever since.

However, it has come with more responsibility and more stress. I really don't want to die of a heart attack at my desk. I'm targeting early 2028 as my exit before I turn 58. I'll have one kid graduated from college and two in college at that point.

Good luck on your path.

Congratulations on hanging in there. I just now saw your original post today and didn't realize it was five years old until I got to the end. I was going to recommend stay in your current job until you accumulate what we all called "F**k You money" meaning you had enough net worth that you would be OK if you got fired or layed off. That amount is not necessarily enough to never had to work again, but could easily weather the storm. You have reached that point IMO.

You need to stop stressing out so much and enjoy your life. My boss who used to threaten to fire me weekly got so mad when he could tell I wasn't worried and was unfazed by his rants.

I believe you will look back and feel it was better to work fewer years in a high paying job than many, many years in low paying non-skilled labor part-time jobs.

You also need to relieve yourself of feeling the pressure of you being responsible for fulling funding your children's college. They should work towards scholarships and can work part-time while going to school. I think studies show those students who work do just as well in their classes.

I will also say time is just as valuable as things/possessions. Don't be so over conservative as to rob yourself of time with your parents or travel or hobbies, etc that you might do if you retire a few years earlier. It does sound like you are already leaning towards a simple lifestyle. Best of look and congratulations because you are on the other side of the toughest part.

Thank you very much for your comments.

Yes, I plan to suck it up for a few more years, but they may lay me off soon. Recently they hired a new manager, but we have no billable work. I may get forced out soon. I can find other lower pay jobs in the range of 70-100k. It won't be ideal. However, it will be better than nothing.

I totally agree with you on FU money. I feel less stressful about job loss after 5 years of accumulation. I looked at my old post five years ago and my investiable asset was just 600k and now I have 1.8M investible asset. If I can make to 3M, I will feel much more comfortable with stop working forever. Fingers crossed I can reach that goal.

I will try to enjoy life more. Currently I feel very depressed about mid-life. My family are not very supportive. My wife has tension with my parents. I feel my life is fked up. My parents also started having health issues in their late 60s. Anyway, there is not much I can do to change my life. The mid life stress is so high. I won't say my 2.15m networth made me a happy life, but my life could be worse without the accumulation in the past 10 years or so. My biggest regret is that I should have started investing in my 20s. At that time, I only focused on spending money to impress women. Not a single woman was impressed sadly. Just as Dave Ramsey said, I was driving a fancy car to impress people, but no one gave a fk. I lost almost 8 years of time before focusing on FU money accumulation.

Congratulations on hanging in there. I just now saw your original post today and didn't realize it was five years old until I got to the end. I was going to recommend stay in your current job until you accumulate what we all called "F**k You money" meaning you had enough net worth that you would be OK if you got fired or layed off. That amount is not necessarily enough to never had to work again, but could easily weather the storm. You have reached that point IMO.

You need to stop stressing out so much and enjoy your life. My boss who used to threaten to fire me weekly got so mad when he could tell I wasn't worried and was unfazed by his rants.

I believe you will look back and feel it was better to work fewer years in a high paying job than many, many years in low paying non-skilled labor part-time jobs.

You also need to relieve yourself of feeling the pressure of you being responsible for fulling funding your children's college. They should work towards scholarships and can work part-time while going to school. I think studies show those students who work do just as well in their classes.

I will also say time is just as valuable as things/possessions. Don't be so over conservative as to rob yourself of time with your parents or travel or hobbies, etc that you might do if you retire a few years earlier. It does sound like you are already leaning towards a simple lifestyle. Best of look and congratulations because you are on the other side of the toughest part.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom