Join Early Retirement Today

Can I suspend my Social Security?
Old 08-03-2021, 08:00 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm 64 and started taking SS at 62. Can I suspend my payments for a few years? I think I've read in a past post you could suspend payments but have to repay what you've already received? Not sure I'd want to do that but it's possible.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

According to this article from AARP: https://www.aarp.org/retirement/soci...k-to-work.html, you have to pay back everything - bummer.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:22 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You would have to repay and you could "suspend" years ago, but not anymore if you're 64 and starting taking SS at 62.
Quote:
Timing is key. Social Security will let you withdraw your original application for retirement benefits only once, and it must be within 12 months of the date you first claimed your benefits.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
I'm 64 and started taking SS at 62. Can I suspend my payments for a few years? I think I've read in a past post you could suspend payments but have to repay what you've already received? Not sure I'd want to do that but it's possible.
No. had to be done within the first 12 months of receiving benefits.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:24 AM   #5
gone traveling

Social Security gives you a grace timeline when you first sign up.
OneMarcilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:23 AM   #6

When you reach full retirement age you can suspend payments. However, you can no longer pay back payments. Suspending at FRA and then waiting until 70 to refile will allow DRCs to accrue.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirem...r/suspend.html
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
When you reach full retirement age you can suspend payments. However, you can no longer pay back payments. Suspending at FRA and then waiting until 70 to refile will allow DRCs to accrue.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirem...r/suspend.html
This is the correct answer. Some misinformation in the thread.
teej1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:24 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1985 View Post
This is the correct answer. Some misinformation in the thread.

What exactly is misinformation? Just in case somebody reading here wants to know. the article Spanky clicked to is up to date..

if somebody shows a link and the readers don't click on and read it, that's on them.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:01 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. I'll just keep getting the payments.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
What exactly is misinformation? Just in case somebody reading here wants to know. the article Spanky clicked to is up to date..

if somebody shows a link and the readers don't click on and read it, that's on them.
The article Spanky linked is about withdrawing the application. The OP asked about suspending the application. They are two different things. You can indeed suspend at full retirement age unlike several of the responses. My link was to the actual SS website. Can't get any more official then that.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The article Spanky linked is about withdrawing the application. The OP asked about suspending the application. They are two different things. You can indeed suspend at full retirement age unlike several of the responses. My link was to the actual SS website. Can't get any more official then that.
Right it's complicated the op did askabout suspending and ask if they had to payback money back .....I think the confusion started in the original post. Thanks to your answer the difference is now clear
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:21 PM   #12

Quote:
That articles also addresses suspending:
"If you’ve been getting retirement benefits for more than a year, the window for withdrawal has closed. However, once you reach full retirement age (currently 66 and 2 months and gradually rising to 67), there’s a second option: You can request a suspension of benefits."

OP has to wait two more years.