Can I suspend my Social Security?

garyt

Full time employment: Posting here.
I'm 64 and started taking SS at 62. Can I suspend my payments for a few years? I think I've read in a past post you could suspend payments but have to repay what you've already received? Not sure I'd want to do that but it's possible.

You would have to repay and you could "suspend" years ago, but not anymore if you're 64 and starting taking SS at 62.
Timing is key. Social Security will let you withdraw your original application for retirement benefits only once, and it must be within 12 months of the date you first claimed your benefits.

Last edited:
I'm 64 and started taking SS at 62. Can I suspend my payments for a few years? I think I've read in a past post you could suspend payments but have to repay what you've already received? Not sure I'd want to do that but it's possible.
No. had to be done within the first 12 months of receiving benefits.

This is the correct answer. Some misinformation in the thread.

What exactly is misinformation? Just in case somebody reading here wants to know. the article Spanky clicked to is up to date..

if somebody shows a link and the readers don't click on and read it, that's on them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, very helpful. I'll just keep getting the payments.

What exactly is misinformation? Just in case somebody reading here wants to know. the article Spanky clicked to is up to date..

if somebody shows a link and the readers don't click on and read it, that's on them.

The article Spanky linked is about withdrawing the application. The OP asked about suspending the application. They are two different things. You can indeed suspend at full retirement age unlike several of the responses. My link was to the actual SS website. Can't get any more official then that.

The article Spanky linked is about withdrawing the application. The OP asked about suspending the application. They are two different things. You can indeed suspend at full retirement age unlike several of the responses. My link was to the actual SS website. Can't get any more official then that.

Right it's complicated the op did askabout suspending and ask if they had to payback money back .....I think the confusion started in the original post. Thanks to your answer the difference is now clear

That articles also addresses suspending:
"If you’ve been getting retirement benefits for more than a year, the window for withdrawal has closed. However, once you reach full retirement age (currently 66 and 2 months and gradually rising to 67), there’s a second option: You can request a suspension of benefits." :greetings10:

OP has to wait two more years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom