Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wanted to comment MichaelB's post about interest in this discussion. I have a lot of dividend ETFs and last week (or was it the week before) when the market was down a bit I bought some DIA instead of more dividend ETFs. Was that influenced by this particular thread ? No - but its discussions like this one that have me thinking about my investment habits.

As to dividend stocks re bonds. I have a 50/50 portfolio. The bond funds reduce volatility but if rates slowly rise that would result in a slow downward slope on my bond ETF principal (rather than big stock pops) - it makes me antsy to think about it so most of my bond funds are shorter duration (half 2 year, half 5 year). I'm hoping that helps reduce the long downward slope but the yields are close to the dividend stocks, certainly different than the days when bonds would yield 2x the dividend portion of the equity market.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I still understand the OPs point....

My mom has had Exxon since about 1982 and Texaco since 1984 (now Chevron)....

She has not worried about the ups and down of their stock price.... and has been getting dividends from them all along...

It is also not bad that the stock price has increased over 2,000%....

The problem that I see is that you do not know what will cause the stock to go down big time and you have to take a loss.... look at GM vs Ford... look at JPMorgan vs Citi (or any other big bank).... Which one of those would you have sold and which ones would you have held
Stocks going down big-time? I think there usually are warning signs --unless it's something like BP's oil spills. And, I'm assuming we are talking about, big, safe stocks going down big-time. From what I've read, I look for dividend freezes, dividend cuts, and dividends discontinued. I look to see trends re: dividends to net profits. I also look to see if there have been downgrades of Value Line's safety rating and financial rating for the stock in question. There are a dozen more things to look for. These are the ones that just came to mind--and they are basic and not very sophisticated. Hopefully some members here will come along and give you (and me) better guidelines.

Another test is: Have someone ask you why you are holding a particular stock. If you find you are stammering or stuttering or looking down at your feet as you answer, maybe that stock should no longer be in your portfolio. ( I guess that last suggestion doesn't really take the place of rigorous research or due diligence).

Oh, and to answer your question about which of those four stocks I would have sold or kept: I know this isn't quite fair, but I wouldn't have owned the car manufacturers--not stable enough. As for the banks, as an individual dividend investor, I'm not sure.

As for Exxon and Chevron: they both have the highest safety and financial strength rankings from Value Line. They have been increasing their dividends a very long time. Chevron is involved in a $11 billion lawsuit with Ecuador (Ecuador is suing Chevron). I'm not sure how significant that all is.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #123

My Dividend Portfolio consisting of 24 stocks and XLU (ETF utilities) finished out the year up 7.62%
Old 08-24-2016, 11:14 PM   #124

Just an update to this old thread, since Feb 2014 the S&P500 is up 18 percent DVY is up 33 percent and SDOG is up 36%, double the performance of the S&P500 from the same universe of stocks.
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:45 AM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I used Morningstar, it said over the period of 2/2014 till now, a $10K invested in VFINX, the S&P MF, becomes $12,911 while DVY becomes $13,549 and SDOG $13,897.

So, I do not see the large performance disparity as the above post. Some Web site is wrong?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:33 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
... At your advanced age why are you trying to goose your income?

Duck, I think maybe you need to.
Yep. A duck gotta' goose.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #127

Using Pb4uski's recommended calculator, my dividend portfolio is up 22.35% since Jan 31, 2014. Since February 28, 2014, the dividend portfolio is up 20.33%. The calculator's default for months elapsed is 12, so that is what I used. It is possible that I may have calculated incorrectly regarding the elapsed months.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:17 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
When I used Morningstar, it said over the period of 2/2014 till now, a $10K invested in VFINX, the S&P MF, becomes $12,911 while DVY becomes $13,549 and SDOG $13,897.

So, I do not see the large performance disparity as the above post. Some Web site is wrong?
Yep either I entered wrong symbols or the info was wrong, sorry about that used stockcharts.com
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:57 AM   #129
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is a 2-3 year period enough time to prove the superiority of any investment method or idea over a long (10+ years) period of time?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote