Can we do this dividend stock thing one more time?

Well, what does this sound like:

I know that there are mutual funds that concentrate on dividends. I was once in one—DVY. I watched it crash and burn. I remember thinking as it was crashing (and burning): “Why are they still holding all those financial-type companies?” I also remember thinking, “Well, duck, they surely know better than you.” They didn’t.

-ERD50
Yep, OP has clearly staked a claim to being a better money manager than the professionals who are in charge of large mutual funds. Nobody is going to convince him otherwise, so best of luck to him and I hope he never finds out otherwise.

I know that there are mutual funds that concentrate on dividends. I was once in one—DVY. I watched it crash and burn. I remember thinking as it was crashing (and burning): “Why are they still holding all those financial-type companies?” I also remember thinking, “Well, duck, they surely know better than you.” They didn’t.

-ERD50

Well, in this one instance, they didn't know better than I. Actually, my guess is they did know, but perhaps their fund's charter?(or, whatever)? caused them to hold onto the financial stocks.

....I know that there are mutual funds that concentrate on dividends. I was once in one—DVY. I watched it crash and burn. I remember thinking as it was crashing (and burning): “Why are they still holding all those financial-type companies?” I also remember thinking, “Well, duck, they surely know better than you.” They didn’t....

This DVY that is at a 7 plus year high? http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=DVY

I'm beginning to feel like I'm playing dodge ball here.:)
OK, DVY is at a 7 year high. I was saying that (actually I wasn't saying that) but I am now, that if the DVY people didn't hold on to all those financial stocks until the companies decreased or eliminated their dividends that DVY would be much higher than it is now (the seven year high would even be higher). Yes/no? Didn't anybody else wonder why DVY was holding onto the financial stocks?

However, I do think we are sort of slipping away from the original point (but, I still find this all interesting).

...(snip)...
So, I have been slowly changing over my bond funds to a group of individual dividend paying stocks. I’m planning on having maybe 40-50% of my bonds funds morph into these individual stocks.
I guess the question to ask yourself is could you survive on just the dividends these stocks give off? If yes, then they become more like bonds in that you don't have to worry at all about price. Being older makes our spending decisions sometimes more urgent.

The DJIA was paying high dividends in the 1930's, 4.7% in 1930 alone and that yield went up as the market declined. Didn't stop the market from taking years to recover.

What is the collective dividend yield of the stocks you will be holding?

I like dividend stocks.
No, they aren't as safe as bonds individually.
But I bet my portfolio of individual stocks is safer than a portfolio of bonds when inflation risk is included.

Our portfolio dropped about 40% in the big recession! our dividend income dropped by less than 10%.
Every one of the past 5 years our dividend income has grown faster than inflation. And we have more than made up for the loss during the recession.

We find dividend income much more stable than stock prices and much more generous than bonds and of course.
In addition, we pay 0 fees and almost zero trading costs.

Lessons I have learned...
Never chase yield! I did that once and got slapped hard.
Diversification is very important.

To the OP, if you want a fun, active dividend player, take a look at O (Reality Income).
The may not have as long a history as some of the others, but they pay monthly, increase often and are one of the more solid plays in real estate.

I see two questions here. One asks if dividend paying equities are riskier than bonds. Over a long period, the risk of inflation is just as great as the risk of capital loss, and the likelihood is that a dividend stream will grow with inflation, so if one is certain to not need the capital, dividend paying funds are not necessarily riskier.

The other asks if individual dividend stocks are riskier than dividend oriented ETFs or funds. No doubt (IMHO) a diversified fund lowers risk of reduced dividend flow and loss of principle.

I just looked and saw that DVY runs neck-to-neck with SPY since the market bottom in March 2009, the latter being a long-time ETF surrogate of the S&P 500. That was price-wise. As DVY's dividend is higher than SPY, its total return might be a bit higher.

Anyway, as long as Redduck does not go overboard with dividend stocks, and stays diversified with something like at least 20 stocks, I do not see that his is a high-risk approach. Redduck may not beat professional managers, but then he might. As I have tried to point out repeatedly, managers of large MFs do not have the agility of small investors. I can dump my 500 or 1000 shares of a stock at one click of my mouse, but a large MF needs time to get out of several hundred million dollars worth of a stock. Of course an individual investor may make dumb mistakes or act hastily too.

And then, a retiree needs something to do with all his free time too. What else would Redduck spend his time on? Measuring speaker open-air responses in the backyard by frequency sweeping? Get into cooking and try different French dishes?

I hold many individual stocks, and as I do not trade daily, still have plenty of time to spend on above diversions because it's not the season for RV'ing, nor the time to ride my motorcycle into forest trails. Heh heh heh...

Last edited:
Vanguard High Dividend Yield Index (VHDYX) currently yields 3.06% (379 stocks, 13% financial). Here is a comparison with Total Stk Mkt (VTSMX) and Total Bond Mkt (VBTLX).

wguebn.jpg

Didn't seem to provide much cushion in the 2008 meltdown. My opinion is that buying stocks is buying volatility. No way to get one and avoid the other.

I guess the question to ask yourself is could you survive on just the dividends these stocks give off? If yes, then they become more like bonds in that you don't have to worry at all about price. Being older makes our spending decisions sometimes more urgent.

The DJIA was paying high dividends in the 1930's, 4.7% in 1930 alone and that yield went up as the market declined. Didn't stop the market from taking years to recover.

What is the collective dividend yield of the stocks you will be holding?

OK, according to Morningstar my dividend yield TTM (whatever that means) is 3.22

No, I couldn't survive on what these stocks give off--but, that was never the plan. Actually, I'm also too conservative to only just hold dividend stocks. But, I also have Social Security, the RMD kicks into place this year, I work about 8 hours a week, I have no debt. I have at least three years of cash/short term bond funds if I need it. I don't see me having to sell anything (in next few years, anyway), unless I want to.

And, no, I don't really need worry about the price. But, of course, that could change depending on all kinds of circumstances out my control.

And, I checked: I've been involved in this Dividend Income thing for about a bit more than 3 years.

I like dividend stocks.
No, they aren't as safe as bonds individually.
But I bet my portfolio of individual stocks is safer than a portfolio of bonds when inflation risk is included.

Our portfolio dropped about 40% in the big recession! our dividend income dropped by less than 10%.
Every one of the past 5 years our dividend income has grown faster than inflation. And we have more than made up for the loss during the recession.

We find dividend income much more stable than stock prices and much more generous than bonds and of course.
In addition, we pay 0 fees and almost zero trading costs.

Lessons I have learned...
Never chase yield! I did that once and got slapped hard.
Diversification is very important.

To the OP, if you want a fun, active dividend player, take a look at O (Reality Income).
The may not have as long a history as some of the others, but they pay monthly, increase often and are one of the more solid plays in real estate.

Yes, I learned the chasing yield lesson early on. I actually thought what I was buying was pretty safe, but the high yield should have tipped me off.

I do own O. I recently bought it, but only after Value Line upgraded its safety rating. I still consider it one of my riskier holdings.

there's a lot of research out there showing that increasing your stock holdings, sort of a reverse glide path of stocks, as you age, is the best system, provided you still cover your short term needs with stable, non stock, holdings.

As to dividend stocks, check the betas of the stocks you invest in. As stated elsewhere in the thread, dividend stock is still stock. The underlying value of the stock will move with the market (just like long term bond prices move with interest rates). If you look for dividend payers that have low beta, you'll see them follow the market to a lesser degree.

We have no way to evaluate your risk here as we don't know what portion of your portfolio is being invested in these stocks and for how long you plan to hold them. You already stated that some of these stocks went down 40% in 2008. If that happened again and you needed to sell them to pay your bills, you would lose far more than you gained from the dividends. If you plan to pass these on to the next generation and believe you will never have to sell them, the perceived risk looks very different. Risk can never be assessed without knowing the time frame involved and the percentage of the total amount being invested, along with the amount needed to cover expenses.

Well, I think this is kind of a buy and hold thing. (On Seeking Alpha they call it "Buy and Monitor"). But, I find there is very little selling involved. Interesting enough (at least to me) it is considered good strategy to sell a stock when it advances so much that the dividend yield drops because of the rise in the stock's price. Then, the idea is to buy a stock or two that currently has a higher dividend yield than the one you just sold.

Anyway, I do wonder if this whole style of investing will blow up and eventually become a nightmare. But, of course, I don't know what might cause that nightmare to happen. However, if it does happen, I'll regret not being 60-70% in bonds.

...(snip)...
Anyway, I do wonder if this whole style of investing will blow up and eventually become a nightmare. But, of course, I don't know what might cause that nightmare to happen. However, if it does happen, I'll regret not being 60-70% in bonds.
I know my own psychology in down markets and have expressly designed my investing around it. It's a very personal issue. BTW, I have 65% equities right now.

For others my only good general advise is to deal with regret issues before they can happen. Generally the mistakes are made in up markets. So for remembering down markets, you look at how you felt maybe in February 2009. Then multiply that by a factor like 200% to take into account really really bad markets like the 1930's.

Bernstein's recent treatise on stocks/bonds (only $5) is a really good read too: Amazon.com: Deep Risk: How History Informs Portfolio Design (Investing for Adults) eBook: William Bernstein: Kindle Store

I own about 20 dividend stocks in lieu of owning any bonds or bond funds. In today's environment, I believe bonds are much higher risk in relation to their return than dividend stocks. I do select stocks with low P/E ratios compared to the market, though some have risen over time. Most are in taxable accounts, so I hesitate to sell them.
My favorite dividend stock over the past 5 years has been Main Street Capital (MAIN) which performed better than the S&P 500 during the crisis and has recovered much better, all while paying a generous dividend around 6%. I also have Realty Income (O), with the balance being blue chip type stocks such as BMY, XOM, DUK, JNJ, KMB, etc. I don't own any of the standard financial stocks, but a stock like MAIN is a business development company that invests in established small companies seeking alternative financing rather than a bank. To me, their performance coming out of the financial crisis says it all.

I don't think anyone is going to be able to convince you that you're taking on a lot of risk. You seem willing to admit that large cap value funds are risky and can decline severely in a stock market crash, but somehow you also believe that your holding the same sort of stocks individually makes you immune from the same type of losses. Apparently the theory is that your reading of the stock market is so vastly superior to everybody else's that you will be able to identify the stocks that are headed down and sell them in a timely manner.

I would characterize this attitude as unrealistically optimistic, but it's your money and you can certainly invest it anyway that you think will produce the biggest profit for the lowest risk.

-ERD50

Erd50, let's try this again.

I said that I thought they surely knew better than I did. But, I had the nagging idea that holding on to the financial stocks was not wise. I still l think I was right. Anyhow, it was a thought. I never said I was vastly superior or immune (never said it or even thought it). However, all this was a catalyst to do something myself (I may have chosen the wrong thing to do).

However, I'm not a do-it-yourselfer. You seem to be a diy guy (from what I gather). Now, I'm not sure what your motives are for doing things yourself. Maybe you feel you can do things better or more inexpensively (or both) than an expert in a specific field. Maybe you just enjoy the process of diy. Maybe you see other ways of doing something that you feel suits your needs better. And, maybe I've completely missed your motives. But, I wouldn't think your wanting to do things yourself would be driven by arrogance. Me either.

So, here I am asking, just what did I ask?--it's been awhile, something about risk of "safe" dividend stocks vs. risk of bonds funds. I stated that I thought I knew something that the DVY managers didn't or couldn't take into account. Maybe the word "knew" was loaded and a better word could be used. "Noticed" or "observed" might have been better words.

Anyhow, I decided to be a diy guy re: this one portion of a portion of my portfolio. I gave some reasons regarding my motives and thinking.

+++
I've included two quotes from two different posts in this reply and I'm curious to see how this is going to look. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
DVY is an index tracker. There is no smart manager running it.

"
The investment seeks to track the investment results of an index composed of relatively high dividend paying U.S. equities. The fund generally invests at least 90% of its assets in securities of the underlying index and in depositary receipts representing securities of the underlying index. It seeks to track the investment results of the Dow Jones U.S. Select Dividend Index (the "underlying index"), which measures the performance of a selected group of equity securities issued by companies that have provided relatively high dividend yields on a consistent basis over time."

This was a darn good idea in 2008 - now not so much. What is it about buy low, sell high you don't understand?:D:D

I stated that I thought I knew something that the DVY managers didn't or couldn't take into account. Maybe the word "knew" was loaded and a better word could be used. "Noticed" or "observed" might have been better words.
I am certainly willing to believe that your intent was more innocuous than how you came across. Written language is notoriously bad at conveying emotions, and I guess we just have to ascribe your earlier post to the limitations of the medium.

I really think, though, that you've already gotten the answer to your original question. Lsbcal, for example, posted the chart of VHDYX vs. VTSMX vs. VBTLX. The two stock funds tracked each other closely when the stock market crashed in 2008, whereas the bond fund was steady as a rock. Relying on dividend producing blue chip stocks instead of bonds is almost certainly not going to allow you to avoid this kind of potential for crazy price fluctuations in the future. If you need to avoid the volatility, you really should stick with bonds.

You have cited one example where you may very well have outguessed the broad market indexes and come out ahead. Can you do this sort of market timing consistently and successfully? I doubt it, but if you want to try you certainly don't need my input or approval to buy a basket of high dividend producers and monitor them for reasons to sell. As I said before, I wish you well and hopefully your investments will generate a nice profit.

Last edited:
No doubt (IMHO) a diversified fund lowers risk of reduced dividend flow and loss of principle.
I'm not sure what unnerves me more - the possibility of loss of principle, or loss of principal. As someone who has a somewhat flexible stance on some issues, I'll pick the latter.

Now where is that Handy Forum Words thread when you need it..........:LOL:

Last edited:
I am old, too.

In my portfolio I have a few dividend stocks, a few balanced and equity funds and ETFs, some CDs and some cash. The dividend stocks I have are like me going gambling, which is not a regular pastime. This represents about 10% of my portfolio. They include:

AT&T
MO
SO
EPD (an MLP that pays $$/Unit, not dividends).

I had others, but sold them last year. I have the dividends reinvested (DRIPS).

I enjoy following companies and trying to find winners. That's why I buy certain individual stocks.

How come you sold some of your stocks last year? I wonder if I bought them.

Of all the awful news from back then, the item that most struck home to me was the failure of Washington Mutual, which Wikipedia says happened on September 25, 2008. I would have guessed it happened a little earlier, but most likely that's because rumors of its imminent failure were already circling.

There were two reasons this news made an impression on me. It was the first time in my life that a financial institution failed in which I personally had an account. I had a credit card with them, which at the time was maxed out in a 0% loan.

That by itself would have been good reason for me to sit up and take notice, but even more striking was the peculiar incentive WaMu gave me to take the 0% loan in the first place. As I recall, they gave me the entire 1% credit card cash back on the loan. So here we have an example, absolutely unique in my experience, of a financial institution paying ME to borrow money from THEM. Even with my limited knowledge of how banks make money, this struck me as a rather counter-productive way for WaMu to turn a profit.

So my personal awareness of the huge magnitude of the crisis didn't happen until right around the time it became obvious to everybody else as well. I think this is a fairly inevitable byproduct of me being a buy-and-hold, ignore the financial noise type of investor. On rare occasions "noise" escalates to "news that you really should pay attention to". 2008 was one of those times.

If I had correctly identified the scope of the crisis in a more timely fashion, I would have done only minor things differently. Mostly I would have held off doing any rebalancing in the summer of 2008 and waited until the height of the crisis in October. In perfect 20/20 hindsight, I should have sold all my stocks in late 2007, but there is no chance at all I would have done that. I was in the process of building up my stock holdings from a floor of 15% and would have looked forward to the crash as a great buying opportunity.

Wait a minute, it sounds as if you had the same thoughts/feelings/intuition I had. By the way, I did not play it correctly either. I paid attention to the news, I just didn't know what to do about it.

I did the highlighting in the above quote which was taken from another thread.

I have done well in the last few years with TOT (5.2%) and MO (5.4%). Just don't hold TOT in a tax sheltered account, because the French government takes a 30% cut of the dividends and you'll want to be able to get a credit for that when you file your income taxes.

Back
Top Bottom