Can you file IRMAA ahead of Medicare?

marko

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Quick question:

Can you file for Medicare IRMAA (Income Related Monthly Adjustment) from SS before you receive your first Medicare bill?

Let's say you begin Medicare in June '17 but you know your income will be much lower (aka 'life changing event') starting Jan '17, can you file for IRMAA before you start getting billed at the higher rate? Or do you have to wait until you see the drop in your SS?

[Edit] If they take your 2015 MAGI as a reference but your 2016 MAGI was much lower, can you send that in BEFORE you start receiving Medicare?

Last edited:
You have to provide documented evidence (originals or certified copies) of the life changing event, attached to your SSA-44 form.

You have to provide documented evidence (originals or certified copies) of the life changing event, attached to your SSA-44 form.

I know. What I want to know is if one can file for IRMAA before the first Medicare 'invoice' hit to SS. That is, before your first month of Medicare eligibility.

From what I've read, you could only file it after you've received a notice that your premium will include the IRMAA amount. So that would be yes, but probably not too long before it starts.

From what I've read, you could only file it after you've received a notice that your premium will include the IRMAA amount. So that would be yes, but probably not too long before it starts.

Thanks. I'll go with that.

Talk about timing! I posted this question yesterday and got the notification letter today.

Back
Top Bottom