Can't File Federal Tax Return yet

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have received all my tax forms and have completed my Federal and state tax returns using TurboTax. I owe taxes but I want to go ahead and file my returns to avoid tax identity theft (I will wait and actually pay the tax later). But TurboTax will not let me file yet saying the Form 8606 that I need has not been released by the IRS yet. Anyone else run into this problem?

Of course if you had a taxable brokerage account you would not get those forms until mid Feb. anyway.

No taxable brokerage account for me, so I have all my forms.

I filed this morning, even though I haven't received my tax forms from FIDO. I was able to look up the tax information on the website and pencil in the numbers in the proper place.

No need to wait as all the information was available.

Cheers,

I

Schwab 1099s out Friday. USAA's are out already but TurboTax won't import until 2/16 so I typed it in (just interest, dividends, and 1 trade). Hope TT is fully capable by Friday as I think I want to file then & amend if necessary 10/15/18.

Likewise I typed it in myself Saturday morning when the brokerage forms were available from Fido. Since I already had the numbers I would have done it anyway if the forms weren't available. The Fed return shows accepted on the TurboTax site. One less thing to think about.

So I guess that those of you who have actually filed your Federal tax return using TurboTax must not have needed to file a Form 8606?

My Hilliard-Lyons consolidated 1099 was posted online, but the one that actually contains a document ID (required for TurboTax import) won't be available for two more weeks.

So we just have to relax.

running into this same issue. I was going to try again on the 1st. Now I'm just going to type it in and see if it works. I swear I did that already.

Last edited:
It should be easy to identify a fraud return from a real one just to the numbers on the 1099's

OP here. I am concerned about identity theft because recently I have been the victim of identity theft where someone has stolen my social security payments by applying for social security in my name and having the benefits sent to a debit card. I have a separate thread on this.

Everyone I am working with to clear up the SS fraud recommended I file an affidavit with the IRS about the identity theft (done) and also file my tax return ASAP. There are many crooks filling fake tax returns using made up income to get refunds. I will actually owe taxes but someone could try to get a refund of my estimated tax payments using made up numbers.

I am finding this identity theft to be very stressful. I thought I had done everything right--frozen credit reports, 2 factor authentication on all accounts, strong passwords, etc but evidently that its not enough.

Thanks for letting me know some forms are coming out. I will check Turbotax to see if my missing form is available.

I am still waiting for my 1099 so I will know the Qualified Dividends from a stock fund. And I am waiting for my 1098 so I will know the property taxes and mortgage interest which are part of my co-op maintenance payments. Both are needed for my federal return, but neither are needed for my sate return. Starting next year, I don't expect to itemize again, so the 1098 will be moot.

I just hope that when the Form 8606 I need is available and I efile my return I don't find that someone has already filed a return using my SS number. I am really stressed about this identity theft thing. I have had to spend MANY hours working on the Social Security identity theft and it is still not fixed.

Tried to do it this morning but Schwab now says (or did I miss it b4) that 1099 consolidated that have an ETF won't be out until 2/15. If I didn't have so many trades I'd type it in (changed to primarily ETFs after RE)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom