Can't find a reason to quit J.O.B.

Bigdawg

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am 52 and my coworker is 57. Both retired military. Both empty nesters. Both have younger DW's. We both live on the Chesapeake Bay and love being on the water. He and I seem to have a recurring conversation. Kind of a sanity check. Each week we talk about anything negative that is going on at work. The list is basically non existent. Boredom, lack of leadership and a low operating budget is the only down side. We look for reasons to quit and we just can't find any. Rarely work a full 40. Customer kicked us out yesterday at 1200. When we do work a full week the schedule is every other Friday off. He is eying two more single family rentals to buy this year which will take him to 5. He takes two long trips (20 days) each year to Hawaii and the BWCA in Northern MN. He also goes fishing 3-5 times per week on average. 24 foot boat. Kind of nice to have at least one guy at work who is FI and can RE at anytime. He and I are both able to go 3/4 or 1/2 time whenever we want. I am starting to think that I may go 3/4 in 2019 and 1/2 in 2020 and see how that goes. The guy I replaced went 1/2 for 18 months. He loved that. Kind of eases you into RE slowely. Just set up the front load for the 401K for 2018. Did the back door ROTH for 2017 and got a 3.0 and a 2.25 CD from Navy Federal. 2018 will answer a lot of questions for me. DD will return from working in Australia. If she gets settled nicely I will shoot for the 3/4 in 2019. If she has some early 20's settlement issues I may stay FT for that year. Basically waiting for myself to be able to answer the "what will I do all day" question. Have a Merry Christmas and an awesome 2018.

Congratulations!

Working or not working - the key is being able to do what you want. Sounds like you've nailed it so far.

As far as actual retirement, you'll know it when you get there.

If you see no reason to quit work, then don't.

I myself would have continued my part-time consulting work if the last one I left did not cause me aggravations. The pay was good, and there was plenty of interesting work.

The friction at work left a bitter taste in my mouth, so I did not bother to go find other work though I had contact at a previous place that told me I could come back anytime (I left because of envy from a full-time engineer, and I was afraid he might go postal).

The truth was that the market had been good, else I would have worked a bit longer because making money was nice. I quit in 2012.

I am 52 and my coworker is 57. Both retired military. Both empty nesters. Both have younger DW's. We both live on the Chesapeake Bay and love being on the water. He and I seem to have a recurring conversation. Kind of a sanity check. Each week we talk about anything negative that is going on at work. The list is basically non existent. Boredom, lack of leadership and a low operating budget is the only down side. We look for reasons to quit and we just can't find any. Rarely work a full 40. Customer kicked us out yesterday at 1200. When we do work a full week the schedule is every other Friday off. He is eying two more single family rentals to buy this year which will take him to 5. He takes two long trips (20 days) each year to Hawaii and the BWCA in Northern MN. He also goes fishing 3-5 times per week on average. 24 foot boat. Kind of nice to have at least one guy at work who is FI and can RE at anytime. He and I are both able to go 3/4 or 1/2 time whenever we want. I am starting to think that I may go 3/4 in 2019 and 1/2 in 2020 and see how that goes. The guy I replaced went 1/2 for 18 months. He loved that. Kind of eases you into RE slowely. Just set up the front load for the 401K for 2018. Did the back door ROTH for 2017 and got a 3.0 and a 2.25 CD from Navy Federal. 2018 will answer a lot of questions for me. DD will return from working in Australia. If she gets settled nicely I will shoot for the 3/4 in 2019. If she has some early 20's settlement issues I may stay FT for that year. Basically waiting for myself to be able to answer the "what will I do all day" question. Have a Merry Christmas and an awesome 2018.

That sounds like a pretty ideal situation to me! I like the work that I do but it is high pressure and taking extended vacations is tough to do. If I was in your shoes, and had the ability to keep work hours under control, and take plenty of vacation, I'd keep that gig going for a bit. It also appears you can do a slow glide path to full retirement with a reduced hour option.

For me, and I expect many MegaCorp career types, it is going 110% or nothing. Not a lot of slow down over time ability. IMHO you have a nice situation that I'd continue leveraging.

I think it's a great idea to go down to a reduced schedule. My job is all or nothing and I really wish it wasn't. You should take advantage of that and do the 3/4 and see how it goes then decide if you want to go down to 1/2 the following year(s).

Look like I am in a similar situation. I have a non demanding teaching job. I am waiting for my son to finish his college in about two years. If he lands a good job and settles down, I will consider to retire fully.

Do what makes you happiest. Things may change at work for the worse and you have the option to just exit.

Boredom, lack of leadership and a low operating budget is the only down side.
Well, this could be a good reason. I personally do not like a boring job or task.

Well, this could be a good reason. I personally do not like a boring job or task.

Agree. It will probably be the boredom getting too much. I am starting to work on the what to do all day in retirement issue. I hope to get there soon. Also helath is OK but not where I want it. Being on this site makes me feel that I should retire ASAP. But as most posters have said, "do what makes you happy". Thanks for the motivation everyone.

being paid to be bored isn't the worst thing. LOL
Yes, but it does get really, really old.

In my last megacorp j@b, for reasons that were never clear to me, I was sidelined and given very little to do. So little that I got in the habit of just letting the minor assignments and tasks they'd send me collect in my inbox each week and do them all at once. It never took me more than an afternoon to complete everything.

I spent a lot of time surfing the internet, reading books on my Kindle, even watching TV shows and movies on my iPad. I kept waiting for my manager or HR to stop by with a pink slip, but it never happened.

After 2 years, I got so bored I quit on my own.

Yes, but it does get really, really old.

In my last megacorp j@b, for reasons that were never clear to me, I was sidelined and given very little to do. So little that I got in the habit of just letting the minor assignments and tasks they'd send me collect in my inbox each week and do them all at once. It never took me more than an afternoon to complete everything.

I spent a lot of time surfing the internet, reading books on my Kindle, even watching TV shows and movies on my iPad. I kept waiting for my manager or HR to stop by with a pink slip, but it never happened.

After 2 years, I got so bored I quit on my own.

Got paid to do nothing. I like it.

Have to admit, this is a topic we don't see often. Most people either dislike their j*b, can no longer perform it physically, or are being forced out (by the bosses or the economy).

I doubt that many people begin w*rking in their teens or after college because they want to perform the tasks. For most, it is to chase $ to survive. People who often start off wanting to save the world ("I want to teach, to help children...") usually crash and burn after a few years of office politics, j*b related pressures, long commutes, etc.

Sure, you like your j*b, but once FI is achieved, why continue? Is it because of habit? Fear? Do you need your CPA/FA to look you in the eye and say "you never have to w*ork again, I guarantee it!"?

What would you like to do with your time if money was not an issue? IMO that is the question. Because for many in your same position, it (money) isn't.

Personally, I was forced into semi-retirement (loved w*rk, BTW) by the economy 10 years ago. Lots of anguish in the transition (not a member of the 3MM club...). But after learning how to survive, and once the $ pressure went away, I began to enjoy the journey. Now, I would not return to full time w*rk for any amount of money (because I value the freedom of not having scheduled w*ork and/or the BS that goes with it, more than the $).

I wish you luck with your process....

Hey, if you have a j*b that lets you take two 20 day vacations a year and fish 5 times a week, go for it! Nice security blanket.

Not so in my case. It is 24/7 email, literally, since 1/2 of my team is on the other side of the world. Always some pushback when you want to take a lot of time away. The only thing I can do for fun while on the job is read this forum, but that's usually while waiting for my system to reboot or something.

I had a friend who worked for MegaInsurance. He sounded like OP. I asked him what he did, and he couldn't clearly explain because he said it was so trivial. Something about checking a few accounts to assure people didn't drop, and then he had to reach quota of non-drops. He worked two or three days a week until October, reached quota, then did nothing until the new year except a once a week 1 hour meeting. He said he didn't know how he fell into this, but he wasn't going to stop the gravy train. I didn't blame him! He was basically ERed without actually quitting. Unfortunately, he passed from cancer.

From what you say you're already retired! Not sure what problem RE would solve overall

In a way I'm getting to be in the same boat.

I take off as needed. I have people to do most tasks. When I have to work on something it is often mission critical, but lots of downtime in between.

So my job has become part time in a way. Still fulltime money. It can be boring at times, but can work from home if nothing urgent.

So typical day I do not go in till afternoon, work 2-4 hours. Friday's go in in the AM, off after lunch.

I can't really complain. Just need to start thinking of it as a part-time retirement job instead of a job that won't die.

Back
Top Bottom