Join Early Retirement Today

Can't Join the ER Club Yet!
Old 04-29-2007, 06:51 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Can't Join the ER Club Yet!

Well, guys, I have been playing least insight here lately and will continue to do so.

DH & I are embarking on a new adventure. We are revamping our existing business and will be re-opening it into a much bigger more complex operation that will hopefully be more successful than the previous one (both are in the bar/hospitality industry). Once we get it up and running, we should be able to either sell out or sit back (ha ha) and collect the profits! We have a huge haul ahead of us and it is all a calculated risk, but we think we need at least another year in the trenches before any escape is in sight. We had tried to sell the current business that we are closing, but it just wasn't financially viable enough. Everyone said you need to get further permits, etc. to be able to do more with it. Well, we decided to get the needed permits and heck if we were just going to hand them over once we had jumped thorugh all the hoops required. Now we are thoroughly entrenched and for better or for worse we are in the rat race big time again.

I justed wanted to let you all know for two reasons, one is that I really enjoy this forum and the commaradary here, and two, to let others know sometimes we are reaching for ER but it just isn't the right time yet - you just have to suck it up and do it. Steve R you have been one that has helped me on this one by reading your posts in the past months. Thanks everyone, and I will be checking in once in a while but a lot less till things calm down (ha ha again!) .............

Not quite ready to join the ER Club yet ...........

Jane (sucking it up!) :P

P.S. No pity party for me - it really is all going to be good - just a lot of hard w*rk! While I would prefer to be eating bon-bons on the beach!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Can't Join the ER Club Yet!
Old 04-29-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Enjoy your new venture! I know a number of people in the bar and restaurant industry; they work harder than I ever did and took risks I was never willing to take. I admire their drive. Are you a franchise operation?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good luck with your venture Jane. Don't forget to drop in from time to time to let us know of your progress.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:35 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks guys for the encouragement! I will definitely be dropping in, just not keeping up as well. I may miss out on some happenings (such as did Lawrence's wife have her baby yet?). We may need to start a new topic heading for people in the news on the forum ........ Anyway, no, Martha, not a franchise, just a small mom and pop operation that is going to grow and hopefully gross more! All risks are calculated - sometimes you need to trust your instincts and try things out. Not TOO much invested, so hopefully all will be well. I may actually be on here more than I thought since I am having a heck of a time sleeping - my mind is just going constantly, add to that adrenaline from the excitement of all the start up stuff, and POOF, sleep is no longer neccesary! Forgive any spelling errors - too tired to care .......... Thanks again!

Jane
Old 05-02-2007, 05:26 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane_Doe
While I would prefer to be eating bon-bons on the beach!
I will think about you while I'm sucking down a cool one on the beach. 8)
Old 05-02-2007, 08:40 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Jane,

Aww Shucks....
Thanks for the kind words.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I my case it was a personal desire to leave the "ship" in good hands. That is not going to happen. As expected management still has their collective head up their rear ends and have not found even a temporary replacement for even one of my two current positions. Not my problem as of May 18.

I would encourage you to do what is best for you. Once you walk away you leave you can't really go back again. You might be able to do something different or even the same thing but in a different place but you can't really ever have what you have now. That can be a good thing....or a bad thing.

Leaving a job or a career or a business is a life-changing event. As has been said here many times...retirement is not about leaving your job....it is about going to do something you want to do instead of a job.

In your case, you are making the final push to get your business up to your standards before you sell it. The extra profits you may make on this will more than not be well worth the extra hours invested. Do what you need to do to walk away with contentment without looking back.

Good luck and keep us informed of how it is going.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:25 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Dog - You're a ... well, dog! Enjoy a cool one for me, too!

Steve -

I 'm sorry to hear that your undeserving employer has not made any efforts after you rose to the occasion for them to keep things straight. Only so much you can do, but it still s*cks. Their antics after you exit may be comical in seeing how they try to cope. Do you have any spies to keep you informed of how things go? Or are you better off not knowing?

I appreciate your encouragement and advise. Our making this move is a calculated business decision. Had too much invested as it was to just let it go. We have a rather unique situation with very good permits, so once we are up and running for awhile we will put the word out again that we are looking to sell and see what happens.

Still wanting to eat some bon-bons ............

Jane
Old 05-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Jane, is that really you?!

John.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

John,