Can't remember how/if SSA notified benefits were approved

ItDontMeanAThing

Full time employment: Posting here.
But I do remember being surprised when the benefit amount was deposited into my checking account. I can't imagine I didn't keep the notice. Was there or should have there been a notice to keep?

I ask because proving the monthly amount is required for a visa I intend to apply for. I'd like to have more than my checking account statements, even though the deposit amount is identified as SS.

They send you a new letter every December with the new amount for the following year that shows the monthly SS amount, the Medicare deduction(s), the tax withholding (if you do that) and the net amount.

You can also get on at the SS website if you have set up an account there.
https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL/SiView.do

Seems I wasn't clear. I'll try again with more detail.

Last fall I applied to start SS benefits in January. After SSA confirmed they'd received my application, I don't recall any further communication before they deposited the Jan. benefit in my checking account. Should the SSA have notified me, or is it standard to start benefits without any notification?

I ask because proving the monthly amount is required for a visa I intend to apply for. I'd like to have more than my checking account statements, even though the deposit amount is identified as SS.

You can also get on at the SS website if you have set up an account there.
https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL/SiView.do
Thanks, but you can't open an account if you live outside the US.

I got an initial letter from them.
Based on the information we have, we can pay benefits beginning ....
What We Will Pay And When
You will receive ...

I actually received this letter two or three weeks after the first payment appeared in my account, but they did send it.

Seems I wasn't clear. I'll try again with more detail.

Last fall I applied to start SS benefits in January. After SSA confirmed they'd received my application, I don't recall any further communication before they deposited the Jan. benefit in my checking account. Should the SSA have notified me, or is it standard to start benefits without any notification?

I'm pretty sure you can open a account on line from thailand, I opened my and applied for SS from the Philippines, and if you can't for some reason do it at the embassey.

That's a bummer. We use our SS online accounts regularly from outside the US but had them set up before we left. For a while they had a mandatory cell phone number for 2nd level verification and I was concerned that we would lose access once we had left the US. I assumed that the large number of expats living overseas with no US cell number was one of the reasons they stopped that practice.

Did you apply for SSA through the US Console or Embassy in your country of residence? If so maybe you could request a statement from them? (I understand that when we are ready to apply for SS we should do so through the US embassy in London)

Online you can get a letter to print about your benefits for the current year.

I got an initial letter from them.
Based on the information we have, we can pay benefits beginning ....
What We Will Pay And When
Bingo! Thanks. Googling that phrase gave me both the SSA name for it, 'award letter', and that I should have received one.

Thai post has reliability problems, which seem to happen more often for letters with addresses and return addresses in English. The SSA office at the Manila embassy handles Thailand, so I'll dive once again into that morass of no response, slow response, and responses that don't answer the question.

I'm pretty sure you can open a account on line from thailand, I opened my and applied for SS from the Philippines, and if you can't for some reason do it at the embassey.
I'm certain the SSA office in Manila told me you can't open an online account from Thailand.

The website for the embassy in Bangkok states:

U.S. Citizen Services at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok and the U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai can provide limited assistance with Social Security issues, including:

1. Providing basic information about SSA benefits
  2. Supplying forms
  3. Submitting inquiries to SSA Manila
  4. Submitting forms to SSA Manila
  5. Certifying and forwarding supporting documentation to SSA Manila
  6. Assisting with Direct Deposit sign up
  7. Requesting Social Security numbers from SSA Manila
  8. Reporting the death of a beneficiary

Back
Top Bottom