Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Because you made a point of the groupon.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Because you made a point of the groupon.
I made a point of the Groupon because this thread is about saving money, and the Groupon was half off the price of the meal.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Had you gone there before? Were you a regular? Will you go again and pay full price?
Old 06-06-2016, 08:36 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Had you gone there before? Were you a regular? Will you go again and pay full price?
I had not gone there before. I have gone to a restaurant in the same group many times, usually with a Costco discount card (Kincaids / Skates on the Bay).
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Kincaids is nice. Have only been to Burlingame, but I'm a regular -
Old 06-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This fits my in-laws to a "T." Late 80s, military pension (Lt. Col.) and two socials; they save every month, and don't touch the 7 figure portfolio. But, I think there were some months in their 60s/70s when they drew down! (And, the year they set up educational trust for grandkids... Thanks!)

We are not counting on social, but will draw high amounts at 70 (maybe 62 & 70?) if available. No other pension income. DW plans to spend all of our annual/quarterly withdrawals on travel for 10-20 years, in an effort to make up for a ton of deferred gratification. We'll see....
Old 06-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We are currently underspending but it fits our lifestyle.
We have zero appetite for buying more stuff, in fact I've been nagging DW to buy a new car just because her old one is 18 yrs old.
I do want to travel more, but the planning ahead has been an issue for us.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:33 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
way better than hookers and blow - that would kill ya
Waiter? I'll have what he's having!
Old 06-07-2016, 12:00 AM   #29

If we continue in our current trajectory (just spending divs) our assets will continue to grow and daughter will get a very large legacy. I'm trying to spend principal but it is difficult, timing never seems right! Will keep working on it though.

Nobody would describe our lifestyle as frugal, but I don't think that was the key point of the OP.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:43 AM   #30

If I'm not mistaken the article implies that saving some of the annual RMD is in fact saving. I would not describe this as saving. That scenario will describe us starting next year when DH hits 70.5. We anticipate that 32%(federal plus state) of that RMD money will be used to cover the additional taxes that we will incur. Our pensions and social security completely cover our regular spending including taxes on that income and interest and divy's that we don't currently spend. So we will reinvest 68% of the RMD( DH's only for 2years and then both RMDs starting in 2019) in taxable accounts annually. I would not have described this scenario as still being in the "savings mode". I think of it as being in decumulation or withdrawal mode, with an extremely low SRW of less than 1%.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:53 AM   #31
gone traveling

I think we will see this trend to save even in retirement increasing over the next couple of decades for those who have laid out solid retirement plans such as those here on this board.

In general, as the quantity of recipients of ultra safe and secure defined benefit pensions falls (recipients die off basically) combined with reduced social security benefit payouts, the desire to save what can be saved will grow.

The propensity to preserve wealth / assets tends to be higher when there is a modest degree of uncertainty.

There is however a cross over point where higher and higher uncertainty drives a strong "live for the moment / spend it all now" attitude such as times of high financial / political / economic / health distress. Examples include political turmoil, high inflation, or a meteor headed this way.

We've been in a "new normal" with lower market returns since around 2000/2001 and that also drives a more conservative stance and behavior with respect to withdraw rates and spend down habits.

The slower launch of the younger generation has many parents of those kids holding back a bit of retirement spending so as to be able to "provide" for slow launchers when that need appears.

One might also argue that growing life expectancy also may be cause for conservatism.

In general it may just be the indirect rationalization that 4% isn't as safe as once thought ... And bringing down the WR is a nature driven survival or instinctual behavior.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:13 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I have a healthy amount of savings and a COLA govt. pension, but I'm still waffling on the purchase of an $800 piece of musical gear that I can easily afford several times over.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:36 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I have a healthy amount of savings and a COLA govt. pension, but I'm still waffling on the purchase of an $800 piece of musical gear that I can easily afford several times over.
So buy it, if you really want it.

(I am thinking that your visceral response to my last sentence, might help you to decide what to do.)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
agreed - live a little
Old 06-07-2016, 09:44 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
My former neighbor (83) is in a nursing home and is not allowed beer and has no desire for females. I smuggled in some beer and he only drank half a bottle. Said don't bother anymore.

He can leave for the day but has no desire to go anywhere. So my advice is to not take any chances. Spend it as fast as you can while you enjoy it.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

(I am thinking that your visceral response to my last sentence, might help you to decide what to do.)
Oh, I will buy it...I guess my point was that rather then simply buying it outright and being done with it, I always have to think about purchases of that type for a couple weeks first to ensure that the "value" is really there, when all along I know that it's worth the money, but even if it isn't, it doesn't really matter.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Oh, I will buy it...I guess my point was that rather then simply buying it outright and being done with it, I always have to think about purchases of that type for a couple weeks first to ensure that the "value" is really there, when all along I know that it's worth the money, but even if it isn't, it doesn't really matter.
I like savoring my purchases for a little while before pulling the trigger, too. But I still buy whatever-it-is eventually.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
My former neighbor (83) is in a nursing home and is not allowed beer and has no desire for females. I smuggled in some beer and he only drank half a bottle. Said don't bother anymore.

He can leave for the day but has no desire to go anywhere. So my advice is to not take any chances. Spend it as fast as you can while you enjoy it.
You don't suppose that possibly the wisdom of old age has finally taught him that (gasp!) there is more to life than booze and women?

I know, I know, how silly. Just had to bring up the remote possibility that he might be perfectly blissful living his life as it is right now.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:34 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

In home care is what I will do for as long as possible when my time comes. I used one of these services to care for Pops as he aged and I was still working. The cost was $20/hr and this is of course not a nurse, just a care giver. Gets you out of bed and dressed, makes you food and does light house keeping, also someone to talk to.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

In home care is what I would prefer too, but knowing me I would have video cameras set up all over to reduce the chances of elder abuse or theft. It is so sad to have to think this way, but I've heard of so many instances.

I guess I just need to make sure I've sold or given away all of my jewelry and valuables. Maybe I should be doing that now. I decluttered a lot two years ago when I retired, but held onto a lot of my nicer things - that I rarely use now....

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk HD
Debinnov a is offline   Reply With Quote