Join Early Retirement Today

Capital gain from sale of rental property
Old 03-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Capital gain from sale of rental property

My DH and I have a rental property which, if sold, would result in a capital gains tax of about $50,000. We have considered moving back to the place for 2 years to get the capital gains exclusion or doing a 1031 exchange, but both of these options are not ideal for us. I saw something on the net about “structured sales annuities” and “ensured installment sales” which sound like ideas worth exploring. The basic idea is you convert the cash from the sale into an annuity which would spread the capital gain over 10 years or more. You would still pay the capital gains tax but it would be deferred which would clearly be an advantage. This idea was developed by Allstate and I believe Prudential marketed this product as well. I would be interested in knowing your thoughts on this.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
...You would still pay the capital gains tax but it would be deferred which would clearly be an advantage..
Are you sure about that?

The capital gains tax is not deferred. The capital gain is deferred.

Capital gain is taxed in the year recognized at the capital gain rate for that year. Right now your CG rate would probably be 15%. In a few years that rate might be higher, who knows.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

[quote=Purron;634207]My DH and I have a rental property which, if sold, would result in a capital gains tax of about $50,000. ...... I saw something on the net about “structured sales annuities” and “ensured installment sales” which sound like ideas worth exploring. The basic idea is you convert the cash from the sale into an annuity which would spread the capital gain over 10 years or more.

I'd be very interested in knowing more about this.
The article about them that I found on the internet was copyrighted in 2005 - so it seems they've been around a few years, but I hadn't heard of them before. As Retire at 40 pointed out though, capital gains taxes could change from the current 15% Fed (and in my case 9.3% State).

Several years ago my FA's were pushing Private Annuity Trusts (PATs) as exit strategies. They did not suit my particular situation (too restrictive) and were disallowed by the IRS sometime in 2006, but people who had set them up before that date were grandfathered in. Charitable Remainder Trusts are another possibility for some people.
outtarentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
My DH and I have a rental property which, if sold, would result in a capital gains tax of about $50,000. We have considered moving back to the place for 2 years to get the capital gains exclusion or doing a 1031 exchange, but both of these options are not ideal for us. I saw something on the net about “structured sales annuities” and “ensured installment sales” which sound like ideas worth exploring. The basic idea is you convert the cash from the sale into an annuity which would spread the capital gain over 10 years or more. You would still pay the capital gains tax but it would be deferred which would clearly be an advantage. This idea was developed by Allstate and I believe Prudential marketed this product as well. I would be interested in knowing your thoughts on this.
So you will make $333K on the sale? Congratulations!

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
Are you sure about that?

The capital gains tax is not deferred. The capital gain is deferred.

Capital gain is taxed in the year recognized at the capital gain rate for that year. Right now your CG rate would probably be 15%. In a few years that rate might be higher, who knows.
Yeah, once the Democrats get elected you can be sure that the cap gains rate will increase.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote