Capital One taking over ING

winger

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm sure this won't end well for ING Online customers. We have been in the process of moving all our online banking there from Megabank. Story

Don't get me started on Capital One. They have the worst customer service I have ever experienced. This is not just a one-time problem. I have had 5 different occasions, on unrelated issues, where both the branch personnel and/or the phone personnel gave me the wrong information or totally screwed up a transaction.

After some bad experiences with Capital One's customer service, there is no way I am keeping my ING account.

Thank you for the heads up - will be moving my $$$ out of my ING account as well....now to figure out where to put it!

Don't get me started on Capital One. They have the worst customer service I have ever experienced. This is not just a one-time problem. I have had 5 different occasions, on unrelated issues, where both the branch personnel and/or the phone personnel gave me the wrong information or totally screwed up a transaction.

Thanks for your comments Grump. I'm in Virginia and Capital One is big here - seems like every time I take a drive around the area I see a new branch being build. Never dealt with them though.

Personally, I'm sad Wachovia has been taken over by Wells Fargo. Yeah, I know Wachovia messed up big time, but their service has always been excellent. I'll wait and see how Wells Fargo does, but may be shopping for a new bank soon.

BTW, I deal with three credit unions, but do like to have a relationship with a major commercial bank too.

I've had a Capital One Direct savings account for over a year. Money goes in, money comes out, interest is paid. Never a problem.

Thanks for your comments Grump. I'm in Virginia and Capital One is big here - seems like every time I take a drive around the area I see a new branch being build. Never dealt with them though.

Personally, I'm sad Wachovia has been taken over by Wells Fargo. Yeah, I know Wachovia messed up big time, but their service has always been excellent. I'll wait and see how Wells Fargo does, but may be shopping for a new bank soon.

BTW, I deal with three credit unions, but do like to have a relationship with a major commercial bank too.

Purron,

I'm in Virginia also. The only reason I was doing business with Capital One was that there was a Chevy Chase Bank branch around the corner from where we live. I opened a checking account there for easy access to an ATM. Then Chevy Chase was taken over by Capital One and it was all down hill from there.

I use a Capital One credit card and think their customer service is excellent.

Wells Fargo sucks in my opinion and I plan to move our checking account elsewhere. Wachovia was more reasonable than WF.

I use a Capital One credit card and think their customer service is excellent.

Wells Fargo sucks in my opinion and I plan to move our checking account elsewhere. Wachovia was more reasonable than WF.

Yeah, that's what I'm hearing about Wells Fargo too. Sucks because I've got lots of auto stuff going through my Wachovia account. Good thing it's become less burdensome to transfer auto deposits and payments to a new financial institution.

I'm sure this won't end well for ING Online customers.
I bet Cap One starts cleaning up ING's balance sheet by cutting back on all the money they're wasting by paying interest to their customers.

I have used Capital One for my credit card for 3 years and I have never had any problems. Their customer service has been good when I needed it, once I was over charged at a gas station and they credited me for the overage without any questions.

Can anyone explain their disdain for CapitalOne? I've used their credit card for the past 4 years. It's one of just a few CCs that doesn't have a foreign transaction fee. As an expat, that's a huge perk.

Any time I've ever had a problem (merchant double billed, incorrect amount, etc), I've filled out a form online and the charge was removed within 24 hours. It's always been in my favor. So as far as customer service goes, I'd say I'm pretty happy.

I bet Cap One starts cleaning up ING's balance sheet by cutting back on all the money they're wasting by paying interest to their customers.

Maybe, but that would be surprising considering that Cap One pays more than ING does.

Can anyone explain their disdain for CapitalOne? I've used their credit card for the past 4 years. It's one of just a few CCs that doesn't have a foreign transaction fee. As an expat, that's a huge perk.

Any time I've ever had a problem (merchant double billed, incorrect amount, etc), I've filled out a form online and the charge was removed within 24 hours. It's always been in my favor. So as far as customer service goes, I'd say I'm pretty happy.

I only have a Cap One online savings account, so I don't have personal experience with their branch banking. That said, branch banking is something they came into in the last several years viathe acquisitions of several different banks, so I would not be surprised at some issues in transitions. But I bet its not as bad as TD buying Commerce Bank. They had two weekends where they could not find many customers' balances, hit thousands of people with erroneous overdraft charges, etc.

We have been with INGDirect since 2004 and we had an INGDirect mortgage from 2005-2009. We never had any issues from the origination to the payoff. Great rates, low fees and great customer service. It was convenient to see the exact loan balance online, make extra payments by transferring funds and see the balance update immediately. I've never had such a transparent mortgage and it was refreshing.

I read that CapitalOne is getting rid of the mortgages. It doesn't seem like INGDirect ever loaned less than 80% LTV and they went to 75% LTV for awhile. I wonder what shape their loan portfolio is in?

We have a mortgage with ING and have been satisfied with the online experience (our main means of communication/interface with ING). Hope Capital One doesn't screw it up too bad for the next 4.5 years when the mortgage will be paid off. Recently got a couple of CapOne credit cards and have been pleasantly surprised by their customer service and web portal.

I was going to move my checking to CapOne.... but I think their online bill pay sucked big time... so I stayed with Chase even though they messed up my account big time once... the rest of the 18 years has been good...

I do use my CapOne CC more than others because of the 25% bonus... which means it is a 1.25% return... I do have the Chase 5% for certain items and their Freedom for 3% of certain purchases, but if it does not fall into either of these it is CapOne...

I do have ING and it is easy money in and out.... I hope it does not get changed so much that it is harder to do...

Can anyone explain their disdain for CapitalOne?

Rational or not I can explain mine. Back in college (1995ish) I applied for a Capital One credit card. Whoever typed in the (very clearly printed) paper application was on drugs. I ended up being denied credit for the only time in my life because they couldn't verify my information. Since I was denied credit, I got a free look at my credit report and found they had added a PO box (the same as my street number), a spouse (with a one letter name), an 'alias' (mis-spelled my last name), and three additional (repeated) digits in my claimed income to my credit report. I called to ask C1 what could have happened and asked if they could take a look at my original paper application. I spoke with the rudest customer service rep I think I have ever encountered. They started off by accusing me of comitting fraud, refused to look up the original app because it would take days, and treated me like I was trying to scam them when I tried to explain that they had entered my street address as a po box, given me a spouse I don't have, given me an alias I had never used, and misentered my stated income. I then spoke with her supervisor and apparently it was all my fault.

I called Experian and explained my story. They took one look at the clearly stupid data entry, removed the record without any supporting documentation, and sent me a letter confirming it.

A lot of people hate Experian, but they served me well. You like C1, but I'll never do business with them. Those three acts of customer disservice - denying credit due to a major data entry screwup, and two rude accusatory customer service encounters lost me as a customer for life.

Its a shame they kill trees to mail me 75 pre-approved applications a year for the last 10+ years despite the fact that I have opted out of pre-approved credit card offers and will never do business with them. I'll be moving lots of cash out of ING as soon as the deal is approved - before C1 takes over the accounts.

Can anyone explain their disdain for CapitalOne?

I have rarely dealt with more dishonest and rude people and Capital One has won a place on my "boycott" list. I called them several years ago to ask why they charged me interests on a month when my account balance was zero. When they couldn't offer a plausible explanation, they accused me of being stupid and irresponsible with my money and said that I shouldn't have a credit card if I didn't understand how they worked. I am sure my foreign accent had something to do with the attitude I got. So I took their advice and closed my account. Hell will freeze over before they see another cent of my money.

I only have a Cap One online savings account, so I don't have personal experience with their branch banking. That said, branch banking is something they came into in the last several years viathe acquisitions of several different banks, so I would not be surprised at some issues in transitions. But I bet its not as bad as TD buying Commerce Bank. They had two weekends where they could not find many customers' balances, hit thousands of people with erroneous overdraft charges, etc.

My bank is one of those acquired by Capital One, and at first I was very distressed due to stories I had heard about their credit card practices. I don't have a credit card but was concerned about the acquisition of my bank and the fact that in my view they were jerks and slimeballs.

However, after several years the only difference that I can detect other than the name change is that Capital One removed fees that my old bank charged. They kept on the same personnel that worked there before at the bricks-and-mortar branches. Transition was absolutely seamless AFAIK.

Last edited:
I have an INGDirect Savings and Orange checking account. Love their bill pay service and their online interface. Easy to use and you can have multiple accounts with different goals/expenses labeled. I hope the new deal doesn't mess any of that up.
I opened an account at ALLY to possibly move my bill pay over (since they are paying 2X the interest rate) but their online interface is not nearly as nice.

Wow, there seems to be mixed experiences with Capital One. I have an Ing savings account which has been a good experience so far. I will be keeping a close watch on what happens with the sale to C1 and consider moving my $$ if I experience any problems.

We closed our Cap One credit card after one too many times of them refusing transactions when we were out of the country. You have to call and notify them if you are leaving the country and want to use the card. We travel a lot (business and pleasure) and found this annoying. Even if we were in Canada. Once you left the country, you can't have them approve it. They were rude about it.

Back
Top Bottom