Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Car insurance premium increases in 2023
Old 05-27-2023, 11:27 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Car insurance premium increases in 2023

My annual premium is up 25.7%, SF. Bay Area.

I Googled, there are several stories about 8.4% increase on average across the nation.

Ridiculous, I haven't submitted a claim in over 2 decades, no points on my record either.

And I think I have it set to low mileage on the vehicle but I probably didn't even put 2000 miles on it the past year.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2023, 05:15 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

mine went up 20 percent and I thought I would check around. I checked 3 other major companies and they were all within 100 dollars for 2 houses, 2 cars, and an umbrella. it is hard to believe there is no collaboration going on between the insurance companies.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:53 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

All businesses adjust their pricing to be competitive, they have to. It’s only collaboration in an indirect sense. Price increases won’t stick unless there’s an underlying cost increase for an industry - lots of that across the board lately.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:48 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Keep in mind that the insurance company can't just arbitrarily raise your rates. Granted, they have been trying to recover rate increases that were paused during covid, but as I politely reminded, the insurance commission and/or department of your respective state controls how much of an increase will be permitted.

Basically, the insurance company files an application with actuarial data supporting the rate increase they request, the insurance department reviews it and gives them permission to implement the increase, or perhaps an increase lower than what they have requested.
Kings over Queens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:48 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

one of the issues driving these increases is the increased cost to repair even the smallest bumper bender, given the technology with cameras and sensors.
Kings over Queens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:17 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings over Queens View Post
one of the issues driving these increases is the increased cost to repair even the smallest bumper bender, given the technology with cameras and sensors.
+1. There are some makes with headlights that cost $2000-3000 - BMW, Mercedes, Volvo and others. They used to be less than $100…

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:24 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Car insurance only went up slightly this year. Lucky.
Old 05-28-2023, 08:26 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Increased cost to repair, increased valuations.

Usually you get a bump down in valuation each year so your rate drops because the "total-out" price lowers. In the last two years, it has probably actually risen in value.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
M... ...

And I think I have it set to low mileage on the vehicle but I probably didn't even put 2000 miles on it the past year.
Check this. My company also has a program where your premium is based on very low mileage. One of our cars is driven less than 1K miles/year and the other, about 4-5K/yr. Occasionally, the premium reverts back to 'average' miles driven and I have to call and they adjust the premium.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 10:37 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
True, but shouldn’t some of that tech be preventing accidents also?
Are we a net winner or loser on the cost of this tech?

I don't know.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 12:08 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
True, but shouldn’t some of that tech be preventing accidents also?
Are we a net winner or loser on the cost of this tech?

I don't know.
Losers. It is disappointing. Fatalities per mile and population are trending up. Something is wrong. Perhaps the extra assists give people a feeling to be more distracted? Drive faster? More recklessly? It is not a good trend and experts are trying to understand it.

Fatalities are not improving, and costs are skyrocketing. I realized this with my 2011 Honda I recently bought that has blind spot indicators. Turns out any minor bumper hit would break these.

Statistical source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_...n_U.S._by_year

Summary:
Year Per 100M Miles Per 100k pop
20221.35TBD

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 01:18 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe it has something to do with the 28 million uninsured motorists, the 38 million US citizens without a valid drivers license driving around, and the untold millions of people here illegally behind the wheel.

What percent of accidents are caused by people without a valid license?
madatrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 02:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatrub View Post
Maybe it has something to do with the 28 million uninsured motorists, the 38 million US citizens without a valid drivers license driving around, and the untold millions of people here illegally behind the wheel.

What percent of accidents are caused by people without a valid license?
You have some sources to back that up, I presume?
The numbers cited sound ridiculous to me.

But on the last point, the AAA estimates that about 20% of accidents involve an unlicensed driver.
Old 05-28-2023, 03:20 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Keep in mind that the insurance company can't just arbitrarily raise your rates. Granted, they have been trying to recover rate increases that were paused during covid, but as I politely reminded, the insurance commission and/or department of your respective state controls how much of an increase will be permitted.

Basically, the insurance company files an application with actuarial data supporting the rate increase they request, the insurance department reviews it and gives them permission to implement the increase, or perhaps an increase lower than what they have requested.
I worked in the actuarial field for 23 years, specializing in personal auto insurance. Some states are like the ones you described ("prior approval"). But others did not require prior approval of rate changes. Those were called "file and use" states. I don't recall the exact breakdown between these two broad groups, but I can say that the states where car insurance was more expensive in general tended to be prior approval ones. Those states asked us the most questions and gave us the hardest time before they would grant approvals.

As for my own car, the rates dropped a lot during COVID. This was for liability coverages (which did not depend on aging of my car) and for physical damage coverages (Comprehensive and Collision) whose rates dropped also due to the car aging.

But with COVID behind us, at least as far as car insurance goes, the rates for my liability coverages have risen pretty sharply this year, back to pre-COVID levels, while physical damage coverages have risen slightly, as opposed to still dropping due to the car's aging. Physical Damage rates, for me, are only about 20% of the total premium.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 03:47 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
My annual premium is up 25.7%, SF. Bay Area.

I Googled, there are several stories about 8.4% increase on average across the nation.

Ridiculous, I haven't submitted a claim in over 2 decades, no points on my record either.

25.7%? That's rough.

Luckily my car insurance (Allstate) went up "only" 13.2% from a year ago, which is not great but it sure is better than 25.7%.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 04:02 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
You have some sources to back that up, I presume?
The numbers cited sound ridiculous to me.

But on the last point, the AAA estimates that about 20% of accidents involve an unlicensed driver.
Uninsured Motorists, 28 mil:

https://www.insurance-research.org/s...R%20032221.pdf

Unlicensed Adults, 38 mil:

https://hedgescompany.com/blog/2018/...39;s%20license.

2 million, just in CA:

https://getjerry.com/questions/how-m...vers-are-there

229 million licensed drivers.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinfor.../2019/dl1c.cfm

260 million adults over 18:

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...e/US/LFE046221

Illegals? Somewhere between 11 million and 50 million? Dozens of sources on this.
madatrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 04:04 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

My USAA auto policy increased 14% vs six months ago, however I saw only a 7% increase since I signed up for their Safe Pilot discount last year. If the discount continues at the current level I will see an annual savings of about $600.
Old 05-28-2023, 04:44 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Geico auto insurance for 3 relatively newer cars went up just over 11% the last renewal of our policy in
April. Location is Columbus OH suburb.
mcbraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:00 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Just read an article on how much car insurance has gone up here in Florida.
FloridaJim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:30 PM   #20

Ours went up a lot with SF so we switched to AAA with higher deductible and a little less coverage. (Dropped rental from my truck policy, low PD)

So we got a cheaper policy but a little less coverage / more risk.