Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-10-2020, 11:06 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I have a 1-car garage that I park one of our cars during the winter months. I have a small piece of carpet scrap on the wall so I can open the door without scratching. OP: Carpet scrap is good because it takes up little room and does the job well.
Excellent idea.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2020, 12:36 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

I guess I cheated. My house has an oversized 2-3 car detached garage, and I park nothing but my Venza in there so I have lots of space.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:32 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Where we recently moved we have a house with a small one car garage and a tiny driveway. Meanwhile we have 2 SUVís. One stays outside in the driveway. Itís right coming and going but we deal with it. We are in the Northeast so we need the SUVís, though I suppose we could give one up for a small compact car.

But they are both paid for so we deal with it.

If I were you Iíd try to swap a parking space with someone else if possible and if that doesnít work get another car. Last choice is to deal with it.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:17 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
three steps I'd try before ever considering a different car:

Find the neighbor who owns the SUV and become their new best friend. Talk to them about your concerns (framed as "that one of us might ding the other")

Talk to building managers about another space assignment

Park in guest/other spots and consider the time walking worth the peace of mind
Couple others. Wrap column in carpet and late one night move the line marking where the car next to you parks
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:47 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I faced that same parking problem when I bought a condo in Florida, bought it blind - a friend went and looked at it. Couldn't park a Ram truck in it the spot we got. We wound up buying another condo and made sure that we had good parking. Got a double garage with the new one you could park a semi truck in. Live and learn...I would simply move in your shoes.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:05 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Would your SOís car fit in this spot better?

Or between you and the SUV, one of you backs in so both driverís doors are adjacent and you both park as close as possible to the passenger side, leaving you both with the widest possible space for driver access.

just my two cents
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:26 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I saw a neighbor knock off their mirror while backing into their 2 car garage. The mirror didn't fold that way.

Myself I have to crawl over the passenger seat to get into my vehicle, as 2 in our garage take up all the space. My Van is wider than my old car by a bit.

When I park in the garage I line up the marker with a spot on the dash and drive in slowly, leaves about 4 inches between the vehicles.
Been doing it for over 5 years !!

Our garage is small too, so we reverse one car in and drive the other in. That way both drivers can open up their doors. Passengers are let out of the car before it is parked in garage.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:04 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Talk about a city problem, I can park my two big SUV's, my boat and my off road ATV in my garage and my other vehicle on the circle drive and still have room for at least four friend's cars to park on the driveway. That's not counting unlimited parking on the street. You can't imagine how absurd this problem sounds to someone in rural America. One more thing to add to my gratitude list.
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:38 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveark View Post
Talk about a city problem, I can park my two big SUV's, my boat and my off road ATV in my garage and my other vehicle on the circle drive and still have room for at least four friend's cars to park on the driveway. That's not counting unlimited parking on the street. You can't imagine how absurd this problem sounds to someone in rural America. One more thing to add to my gratitude list.
You realize if all the people in the city move to your rural America, it wouldn't be rural anymore
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Get rid of the cage and buy a motorcycle!
Old 10-14-2020, 10:55 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
And I can walk to w*rk, and to many restaurants and grocery stores! I am grateful for these things.
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
LOL. I could reverse that and say, wow, you have to get in your car to pick up some light groceries or to stop at the drug store? What, you need two cars because you are trapped at home if the spouse is out somewhere in the other car? Sounds absurd to me.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:32 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't have two cars, I have three cars. But I see your point. Mine was how different perspectives can be just because of where you live. I'm glad city folk like their lifestyles. And I'm glad I like mine. But it's weird how some city problems and rural ones are so different.
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:50 PM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This may sound like a silly option, but worth a try...

Talk to the person with the big SUV...tell them your dilemma. Ask them if they often have another person with them when they drive. If not, perhaps you can arrange parking such that their passenger door is on the same side as your passenger door...and therefore you can park really close on that one side...giving you more room on the other side.

If this works and they are nice about it, buy them a $25 gift card to a restaurant for their help.