Join Early Retirement Today

car/parking dilemma
Old 10-08-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

car/parking dilemma

I recently sold my condo and moved into a great rent controlled apartment with my SO. Trouble is the new parking space is TINY and I'm squeezed between a concrete beam and a giant SUV. Can barely open the door and damage is imminent.

I bought a new Audi A4 in 2018 and hate the idea of having to swap it out due to sunk cost. I could probably get a relatively even exchange with a used smaller A3 that will fit better, but still loosing several grand however I look at it.

Is making the swap a dumb move?
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Can you sublet/swap the parking space?
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Instead of swapping it, put door edge guards and other bumper guards on it.

Any possibility of finding another parking spot (and rent out the one you have to compensate the cost) ?
Old 10-08-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Well, as I see it you have 3 choices:

1) Sell the car and buy a smaller one,
2) Move to an apartment with a bigger parking place, or
3) Grin and bear it.

I'd probably go for (1), and consider the loss as the cost of gaining experience in such difficulties.

Next time, I'd suggest measuring your parking space and your car before moving. That's part of the decision making process.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

is there an on or off site property manager in the building? Have them come a look at your car, in the parking spot.. if a sedan doesn't fit there it's not a proper parking space...

See if they come up with a solution...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Next time, I'd suggest measuring your parking space and your car before moving. That's part of the decision making process.
Good friends of ours bought a brand new house and had to sell their vehicle and buy a new one!

You wouldn't think a new house would be a problem. Turns out this builder played some tricks and the two car garage has very narrow doors. They had nothing crazy either, a Toyota Highlander, I think. They had to fold in the side mirrors going in or out.

The fix was a new, narrower vehicle.

So, yeah, check your parking space no matter where you move to!

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:18 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Instead of swapping it, put door edge guards and other bumper guards on it.

Any possibility of finding another parking spot (and rent out the one you have to compensate the cost) ?

Plus buy door edge guards for the other guy.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:20 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
is there an on or off site property manager in the building? Have them come a look at your car, in the parking spot.. if a sedan doesn't fit there it's not a proper parking space...

See if they come up with a solution...
+1 Maybe you can get switched to another space. If not, and given that you are happy with the apartment, I would opt for a smaller car. My garage is very short so I am stuck with compact and subcompact SUVs no longer than 185 inches and preferably 182. It's a PITA but worth it for the house and location.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Plus buy door edge guards for the other guy.
Does the other guy normally have a passenger on that side? Even if he does, maybe he lets them in/out when not fully pulled into the slot. For you, do the same, let SO out before pulling in then hug the passenger side to give you more room to open your door. Then back out so SO can get back in when leaving.
Would backing in provide more room on the driver side by hugging the passenger side? Without a layout diagram, just pitching a few thoughts...
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:57 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I feel you pain about the tight condo parking spaces.

My tiny Honda Fit narrowly fits in the spaces I have. I had bad luck as each space has one side next to a wall.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmitchell View Post
I recently sold my condo and moved into a great rent controlled apartment with my SO. Trouble is the new parking space is TINY and I'm squeezed between a concrete beam and a giant SUV. Can barely open the door and damage is imminent.

I bought a new Audi A4 in 2018 and hate the idea of having to swap it out due to sunk cost. I could probably get a relatively even exchange with a used smaller A3 that will fit better, but still loosing several grand however I look at it.

Is making the swap a dumb move?
Is the SUV able to fit in the spot?

I guess I'm some ways good you have the beam on the other side, instead or another vehicle to ding your doors. But I guess you lose a little of the buffer space to open door on that side.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:22 PM   #12
gone traveling

Not understanding why the issue wouldn't be investigated before renting or buying.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:09 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Not understanding why the issue wouldn't be investigated before renting or buying.
There is a lot to think about when you are trying to move to a new place. I can easily see that particular issue not being on the radar. Anyway, how about we help him solve his problem instead of just chastising him for having it?
Old 10-08-2020, 04:20 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
There is a lot to think about when you are trying to move to a new place. I can easily see that particular issue not being on the radar. Anyway, how about we help him solve his problem instead of just chastising him for having it?
Right cause the OP should have known he was going to get sandwiched between a post and big suv...I wonder if the building has a vehicle size guideline? How does the person in the SUV get out when they have cars parked on both sides? I'm assuming the SUV isn't actually encroaching on the other parking spot. Have you ever noticed how narrow some retail outlets make their parking lot lines?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #15

Quote:
I spent all of about 25 minutes inside the home I just bought. No time for a 2nd look. The offer was accepted about 24 hours later.

Later I drove through the alley & noticed how cramped the cars were in the garage. I looked back at the listing to get the garage dimensions. My Volvo is 182.9 inches. I also noticed the HO Highlander fit in. The Highlander is longer than my car. So it "should" fit. It does explain why i see so many cars on the street. 2 cars don't fit in a 2 car garage

Literally no time to spend a lot of time horsing around with details
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:16 PM   #16

Same problem when I bought my Chicago condo. There was no way my Texas-bought Chevy Tahoe would come close to fitting in the shared 2-car garage. I parked on the street for 2 days and then traded in on a low-end Camry. Even with the Camry, I kept hitting the side of the wall now and then. I didn’t see any sense in fixing the damage since I was likely to hit the wall again. After 5 years, I sold the condo and moved back to Dallas. Then Traded in the Camry, dents and scratches and all, on a big old pickup truck.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:12 PM   #17

three steps I'd try before ever considering a different car:

Find the neighbor who owns the SUV and become their new best friend. Talk to them about your concerns (framed as "that one of us might ding the other")

Talk to building managers about another space assignment

Park in guest/other spots and consider the time walking worth the peace of mind
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:19 PM   #18

Tight parking is a real issue.

When I was preggers with my youngest, I ran into issues of being parked in to the point I couldn't get into the car at the end of the day through the driver's side... my pregnant belly wouldn't fit through the skinny opening. I had an explorer at the time and when it happened, would crawl in from the back of the car. When not pregnant I could twist sideways and squirm in.

I would buy door guards for the other driver (and yourself)... We have enough room in our garage for our two cars - but we still have them on the cars, in case a teenager isn't paying attention and flings the door open.

This is what we got:

https://www.amazon.com/Protectors-Gu...s%2C228&sr=8-5
Old 10-08-2020, 08:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Well, as I see it you have 3 choices:

1) Sell the car and buy a smaller one,
2) Move to an apartment with a bigger parking place, or
3) Grin and bear it.

I'd probably go for (1), and consider the loss as the cost of gaining experience in such difficulties.

Inversely, when buying a car, always drive it to where you would park it for your very first test drive. Just make sure the car salesman isn't along for the ride if you live in a nice hood.

I always make sure the truck fits, and I use a tape measure to measure these things.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:21 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

+1. Frankly, I have made much bigger mistakes due to moving/selling/buying stress.

For OP, I second Aerides' suggestions, as they are what I would try in your situation. I hope this is the only fly in the ointment and that you love your apartment.

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote