Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-09-2020, 03:45 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Inversely, when buying a car, always drive it to where you would park it for your very first test drive.
Yes yes if at all possible.

Years ago my wife and I were looking to buy a full sized 4-door sedan. We really liked one model and the salesperson insisted we drive it home "to see what it looked in our garage". We found the car was too long to fit in the garage with all the other stuff we had, and ended up buying a different car.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2020, 06:30 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
I spent all of about 25 minutes inside the home I just bought. No time for a 2nd look. The offer was accepted about 24 hours later.

Later I drove through the alley & noticed how cramped the cars were in the garage. I looked back at the listing to get the garage dimensions. My Volvo is 182.9 inches. I also noticed the HO Highlander fit in. The Highlander is longer than my car. So it "should" fit. It does explain why i see so many cars on the street. 2 cars don't fit in a 2 car garage

Literally no time to spend a lot of time horsing around with details
It could be worse. A friend bought a villa in our neighborhood in Florida remotely... based on pictures. After closing... on his first visit, he finally realized that what he thought was a 2-car garage was really only a one-car garage. At least we get to yank his chain about it every now and then.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
There is a lot to think about when you are trying to move to a new place. I can easily see that particular issue not being on the radar. Anyway, how about we help him solve his problem instead of just chastising him for having it?
And IIRC from the OP's prior thread, this was more than "get a new place" - this was move in to the existing place of their SO, changing both residence and relationship status, in a desirable location with rent control...so the "place" was non-negotiable in this move.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:14 AM   #24

There are cars you can park from outside the car. Check them out.
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:45 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Update:

Spoke to manager and there are no other spots available . Also spoke to the guy who owns the SUV and he was nice and also is aware it's a tight fit. Luckily his is an $$ new BMW so he's not looking to get it banged up .

I hear all the posters about investigating the space before I moved, but since I moved into SO's place there weren't many options!

I'm going to hang tight and see how it goes for the time being. Thanks for the door guard suggestion @rodi & for everyone else's thoughts as well!
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Hells bells...we bought our current (used) house from out-of-state, but walked through it twice first and paid to have it inspected, not just by the general house inspector, but by a roofer and a plumber. And we still got fooled, on various things that only became apparent after we moved in!

For example, the refrigerator doesn't have a freezer. Who buys a fridge with no freezer? There was an upright freezer in the garage, which the inspector said was working, because when plugged in, it started to hum. However, it never got really cold. I raised such a stink about this that the sellers actually bought a cheap chest freezer and left it in the living room. I had to pay someone to move it into the garage and get rid of the dysfunctional one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It could be worse. A friend bought a villa in our neighborhood in Florida remotely... based on pictures. After closing... on his first visit, he finally realized that what he thought was a 2-car garage was really only a one-car garage. At least we get to yank his chain about it every now and then.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
three steps I'd try before ever considering a different car:

Find the neighbor who owns the SUV and become their new best friend. Talk to them about your concerns (framed as "that one of us might ding the other")

Talk to building managers about another space assignment

Park in guest/other spots and consider the time walking worth the peace of mind
+1. Another option could be to rent a nearby parking spot from a "shared economy" site. There are several where people with unused parking spots rent them to others.
pdxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Rent controled apartments in nice neighborhoods are golden. The OP can try to tough it out for a while but the solution would be to get another car or find another parking space to rent that fits the car. Personally I would opt for the latter.

He and his SO could split or their housing needs change. This apartment wouldn't be their forever home.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

My dad bought a new van for his small business. Upon entering the garage, it scraped on the open door. Cost a small fortune to raise the whole thing an inch and a half. Note to self: Trust but verify! YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:32 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Research and find a local paintless dent removal shop. Can fix most dents waaaay cheaper than a body shop.
Keep your research handy in case your parking neighbor needs it in the future.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:47 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I saw a neighbor knock off their mirror while backing into their 2 car garage. The mirror didn't fold that way.

Myself I have to crawl over the passenger seat to get into my vehicle, as 2 in our garage take up all the space. My Van is wider than my old car by a bit.

When I park in the garage I line up the marker with a spot on the dash and drive in slowly, leaves about 4 inches between the vehicles.
Been doing it for over 5 years !!
Old 10-10-2020, 05:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Myself I have to crawl over the passenger seat to get into my vehicle, as 2 in our garage take up all the space. When I park in the garage I line up the marker with a spot on the dash and drive in slowly, leaves about 4 inches between the vehicles. Been doing it for over 5 years !!
Have you checked out the cars that can park with the driver outside the vehicle? Just curious. I've seen a few being advertised lately.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:12 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexman View Post
Have you checked out the cars that can park with the driver outside the vehicle? Just curious. I've seen a few being advertised lately.
Yeah but that only gets you in and out of the spot, doesn't do anything to prevent the ding from the door of the car next to yours which I think is the OPs main concern.

Since the building manager has said no other spots available, perhaps ask to be wait listed for the first one that opens up? But, hopefully, having spoken with your spot-neighbor, you've fended off any potential issues.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:28 AM   #34
Administrator

Also, maybe pad the concrete pillar in case you scrape it.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Yeah but that only gets you in and out of the spot, doesn't do anything to prevent the ding from the door of the car next to yours which I think is the OPs main concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Myself I have to crawl over the passenger seat to get into my vehicle, as 2 in our garage take up all the space. Been doing it for over 5 years !!
No, the emphasis was on crawling over the passenger seat FOR OVER 5 YEARS. Not sure when externally parkable cars hit the market, but if I was crawling over a passenger seat every time I drove somewhere, I'd be looking into them seriously. On the surface, it seems to be a valid solution. Luckily, we are not faced with a narrow parking situation.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

As a special treat maybe get a Tesla Model X with falcon wing doors and self parking. Here's video of the X unloading passengers. There seems to be plenty of parking space, but the owner...

Old 10-10-2020, 10:16 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
As a special treat maybe get a Tesla Model X with falcon wing doors and self parking. Here's video of the X unloading passengers. There seems to be plenty of parking space, but the owner...
Oh sh...! That hurts!

Next video: someone lowers the classic Mustang onto the Mini.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Also, maybe pad the concrete pillar in case you scrape it.
I have a 1-car garage that I park one of our cars during the winter months. I have a small piece of carpet scrap on the wall so I can open the door without scratching. OP: Carpet scrap is good because it takes up little room and does the job well.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:56 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by latexman View Post
I wanted a van, maybe in 10 years all vehicles will have autoparking included, but for now I'm just careful.

It's possible we will go to 1 vehicle, if DW decides to not get a new car as we rarely drive it anyways.

I did add a bumper strip to the van for about $15 vs dealer $150 version. It's been on 5 years now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg addedbumpstriptovan.JPG (430.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 10-10-2020, 06:18 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Our first line of defense in the "scratch and dent" dilemma is to purchase older cars that "come" with the scratches and dents already. That way, it doesn't hurt so bad when we add our own parking damage. When we finally sell our cars (or junk them), one more or less ding doesn't change the value. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote