Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-18-2019, 04:16 AM   #121
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
I'll be selling a classic car, and am considering replacing it with a more recent sports car. What I want:
  • $25K price limit
  • manual transmission
  • rear wheel drive
  • nimble & fast
The car would not be driven in the winter. Might occasionally be driven to work, but for the most part would be a fun weekend ride. Maybe a couple thousand miles/year.

I've always desired a Porsche 911, and the '99-'04 Carreras fit the bill. What other year/make/model would you suggest?

Thanks.

Look into a Corvette, AC Cobra (kit car), Shelby Mustang GT, and a Viper.
Sopherdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2019, 05:02 AM   #122
Confused about dryer sheets

MINI Cooper! All price ranges. You'll be able to keep up with all those other cars in the twisties. Trust me.
Update: Just noticed the rear wheel drive request. My bad. Nvrmd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160602_150127466_HDR.jpg (628.7 KB, 27 views)
blong61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:18 AM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
....Get the used 2015 BMW 228 M Sport...

You,can read why it is better than the more expensive M2 and M235.
It is cheap and a blast.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...mparison-test/
That is a good read, thanks for the link. Looking on the bmwusa.com certified & used car website I found several 228i and even the newer 230i cars that meet the OP's price point. The classic answer to the OP's question, at least with regards to BMW, is the M3. Fast, fun, and practical (backseat, trunk, etc.) My own opinion is that their ride is tuned too flinty for the car to be a daily driver on my state's rough roads. But, I haven't driven a recent M3.

My own answer to the OP's question was a BMW 535i with RWD and a 6-speed manual transmission. I say was, because last Saturday the engine seized up in my car for no easily identifiable reason (the car had oil and coolant.) Given it's age I'm looking at scrapping it rather than paying ~$5k to put a new engine in it It was not a very reliable car before this either, so I think buying an older, high mileage BMW is only a good idea if you like to work on your cars and have the time and skills to do so. There is a reason why something like half of all new BMWs are "sold" as leases!
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:22 AM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
That is a good read, thanks for the link. Looking on the bmwusa.com certified & used car website I found several 228i and even the newer 230i cars that meet the OP's price point. The classic answer to the OP's question, at least with regards to BMW, is the M3. Fast, fun, and practical (backseat, trunk, etc.) My own opinion is that their ride is tuned too flinty for the car to be a daily driver on my state's rough roads. But, I haven't driven a recent M3.
I am leaning toward a normally aspirated engine. I haven't driven any of these cars, but would be concerned about turbo lag.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you're looking for something more practical, I had a Subaru Lagacy GT that was a bunch of fun to drive... but in your situation I'd look at a late model WRX... quicker and nimble and AWD traction are a fun combination.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:37 AM   #126

Modern turbochargers have very little lag, if even noticeable.

And, they have a major positive in that they offset altitude increases in mountainous areas.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:39 AM   #127
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
I am leaning toward a normally aspirated engine. I haven't driven any of these cars, but would be concerned about turbo lag.
The E46 M3 has a 338HP naturally aspirated straight-six engine. The E46 was built from 2000 - 2006. According to the M3 history page on Wikipedia, the 2007 - 2013 generation used the S65 engine, which is a naturally aspirated V8. I'm not really pushing an M3, but I if you like the look, I think they're worth a test drive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M3
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

Miata for sure. I've owned several and own a 2012 I bought new and modified to my taste.

Bullet proof, well designed FUN cars.
cj1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

Lots of great cars suggested, can't go wrong with any of them. Another vote though for the Miata, especially if you're looking for a convertible. To me, it's the definition of a "toy" car. Instant smiles every time I take mine out.
enjoyinglife102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:59 PM   #130
Dryer sheet aficionado

A lot of nice cars out there- tough choices. I have had many luxuary cars from MBZ to Lexus and had a Porsche 911 AND a Honda S2000 at the same time. To Me, the Honda S2000 and my 2015 Toyota TRD Tacoma is the perfect fit. For speed and fun-S2K; for utility and outdoor fun- the Tacoma. Great around town as well for both.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #131

Quote:
The E46 M3 has a 338HP naturally aspirated straight-six engine. The E46 was built from 2000 - 2006. According to the M3 history page on Wikipedia, the 2007 - 2013 generation used the S65 engine, which is a naturally aspirated V8. I'm not really pushing an M3, but I if you like the look, I think they're worth a test drive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M3

2006-2008 Z4M has the same motor as the E46 M3. I owned the outwardly similar 3.0si coupe and thought the M Coupe was a beast by comparison. Lotsa fun, but a bit too much car for a daily driver.

BTW I'm 6'1" and fit comfortably in the Z4. When I tried Miatas I found myself staring straight into the top of the windshield and couldn't get comfortable. Just another data point.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:08 PM   #132
Dryer sheet aficionado

Doesn't meet the price point but I'm picking up my factory-ordered toy on Monday. Dealer sent me pictures after prep.

Maybe an older, used Hellcat? Roomy, comfy and more power than you'll ever need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8727.jpg (471.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8729.jpg (507.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8723.jpg (318.4 KB, 30 views)
FI FELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #133

Quote:

My own answer to the OP's question was a BMW 535i with RWD and a 6-speed manual transmission. I say was, because last Saturday the engine seized up in my car for no easily identifiable reason (the car had oil and coolant.) Given it's age I'm looking at scrapping it rather than paying ~$5k to put a new engine in it It was not a very reliable car before this either, so I think buying an older, high mileage BMW is only a good idea if you like to work on your cars and have the time and skills to do so. There is a reason why something like half of all new BMWs are "sold" as leases!

Hi NoiseBoy .. you have to test drive a 228. I have driven a 335, 435, and the 5 series too .. it is nowhere as fun and as nimble to drive as the 228. And by the way, the 228 is faster than the 230, which is the successor to the 228. The 2015 228 is built differently than the 2016 228 (which is slower). I took it to the mountain and drove the twisty roads .. boy .. what a big grin on my face .. fun fun fun.

You can also get 2 adults in the back of the 228 that are less than 5'8' in height. The cargo is as big as my previous 3 series coupe. And lastly, I get 36 MPG on the highway and 25-26 MPG city driving . The weight balance of this car is almost 50-50 .. that's why it is fun and nimble. The center of gravity is well balanced.

And for $25K price tag, it only had 20,500 miles on the odometer. It's now around 24,800 miles after more than a year of use.

Spend a little on a tune $199 .. and get 300+ lbs of torque on a light chassis.

https://www.burgertuning.com/collect...-install-tuner
Old 05-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #134
Dryer sheet aficionado

The Nissan Z car is one of the best values in a sports car. A lightly used 370Z will fit your price point, has a good 6-speed, 330HP, handles well, and is more comfortable than a lot of the other cars mentioned.

A 350Z is what I drive now, and I'm keeping it even after I pick up the Hellcat.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #135
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI FELLOW View Post

A 350Z is what I drive now, and I'm keeping it even after I pick up the Hellcat.
Is your Hellcat a manual? I did not think that was even an option. I had a 536 RWHP Camaro that was manual and the autos would eat my lunch, as M6 cars are tough to launch.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:05 AM   #136
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Is your Hellcat a manual? I did not think that was even an option. I had a 536 RWHP Camaro that was manual and the autos would eat my lunch, as M6 cars are tough to launch.
Yes, look at the pic, it is a manual shifter.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #137
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Yes, look at the pic, it is a manual shifter.
I could not believe my eyes seeing an M6 on one of these cars
Old 05-19-2019, 08:31 AM   #138
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yes it is! 6-speed Tremec trans, dual-plate clutch to handle the 717HP and 656 lbft of torque.

Manual was what sold me on this car. So much more involving than an auto.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:35 AM   #139
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
The Hellcat has launch control that helps with that, push the button and release the clutch for a computer-assisted drag launch. Comes with line lock too for nice smoky burnouts to warm up the 305 rears.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #140
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI FELLOW View Post
The Hellcat has launch control that helps with that, push the button and release the clutch for a computer-assisted drag launch. Comes with line lock too for nice smoky burnouts to warm up the 305 rears.
It's a beautiful car, good luck with it and enjoy. My 2017 SS 1LE also had launch control, but after practice most folks can do better just turning all the nannies off and not using that feature.

I had not been to the drag strip in over 50 years, and my first time out ended up spinning like crazy through 3 gears and that was even using MT ET Street R tires, although I did not drop the tire pressure down enough. I did not have the patience or feeling in my feet to work on the launches, so sold the car and moved to an Audi RS5. That car launches like a rocket and handles like a go kart.