Join Early Retirement Today

car people - suggest a toy
Old 05-12-2019, 06:04 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll be selling a classic car, and am considering replacing it with a more recent sports car. What I want:
  • $25K price limit
  • manual transmission
  • rear wheel drive
  • nimble & fast
The car would not be driven in the winter. Might occasionally be driven to work, but for the most part would be a fun weekend ride. Maybe a couple thousand miles/year.

I've always desired a Porsche 911, and the '99-'04 Carreras fit the bill. What other year/make/model would you suggest?

Thanks.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2019, 06:12 AM   #2

We had a used Miata with the powered hard top. It was a fun car that epitomized the term roadster. Just about the most fun I ever had with my clothes on. YMMV!
Old 05-12-2019, 06:18 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a Miata to me. Pick the year range to match your budget. Get the RF if you don't want the soft top. If I were buying one now I'd get heated seats to extend the top down driving season.

Eventually you'll get tired of it. 20 years after buying mine, I'm just a little tired of it. Probably in another 20 years I'll be ready to get rid of it.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:19 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I too love the Porsches, however anything German scares me mechanically. In fact, all the really desirable sports cars can be a money pit--at $125 per hour mechanic labor.

If you get down to it, the Mazda Miata is the best sports car to ever be built that's affordable and durable. But it has an image of being a "girl car." My college roommate had a couple of racing Miatas he campaigned out of Florida, and they weren't for sissies.

The other great sports car that's a little harder to find is a Honda S2000. They're hard to beat. Otherwise, the big bargain is a slightly used Corvette. Alternatives would be certain models of used Mercedes, but they're probably automatics and not spirited enough for you.

The largest importer/exporter of used Porsche's in the world is about 3 miles from me in our industrial park. We see high line sports cars coming and going from his shops weekly to and from Europe and California.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:23 AM   #5

Test drive a 2014, 2015 or 2016 BMW M235i. Way more dependable and cheaper to maintain than a 911. Much more comfortable too. Read up on them and take one for a test drive. You'll be sold.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:30 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I personally would be looking for a Corvette. Of course 25k isn't a lot of money but you should be able to get a decent C6 (2005-2013) for that. Of course any older sports car (or any older car for that matter) comes with higher maintenance risks/cost.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:37 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

A used BMW 135
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B117AC3C-22EE-4288-A37B-B99E72E33FE1.jpg (358.7 KB, 111 views)
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:39 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have a newer Miata with a power hard top. I track it and have some mods. It is so fun, reliable and relatively cheap. Hard to explain how good it is until you drive one, try it just to see if you would like it. Now 911s appear great, never owned one though.
Floridaman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:50 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

There is an Alfa version of the Miata that is more of a head-turner, built on the Miata line so little risk of the fabled Italian reliability. I strongly considered it before I bought my WRX, but wanted the extra space in the soob.

The Alfa is great fun to drive and has entirely adequate power for a street car. Having spent 15 years racing sports cars, I am not very excited by unnecessary horsepower on the street but YMMV.

I have had Porsches and they're great for the ego but astronomically expensive to maintain. I also considered Vettes at one point, but DS said: "Dad, you're going to look like a guy in middle life crisis." Yes, that.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:05 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

The 996 (Porsche 911 1999-04): unloved among collectors, but, making a strong comeback. A good '99 can be had for well under 25k (Whereas a similar condition '98 is worth 3 times as much). Make sure you research 'IMS bearing' before you jump in. Boxster and Caymans are nice too (I have one).

Miata: Always big fun. Great clubs and numerous racing opportunities. The gen 1 cars (the '90s versions) hold their value quite well; less so with the newer models.

If you're a muscle car kinda guy, look at: Mustang GT, vette, cuda and camaro.

Also take a look at Mini Cooper S, VW GTI, BMW M3 or Z3 as well.
Mykle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:05 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

One car not mentioned so far. A Honda S2000. This was one of my favorite cars ever and am still sorry I sold mine. They have a bullet proof engine and a great manual 6 speed. Look for one that has not been overly modified and you’ll have a very fun car. I like Miatas as well but the Honda is a bit more engaging.

Oops. Just re-read and saw another mention. Great car.
SpinDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:20 AM   #12
gone traveling

Porsche's are definitely nimble and fast, but I doubt anything worthwhile could be had at your price point. The Miata is a good option, as would the S2000 if you could find a decent S2000 at that price. Now, if you are willing to give up on the rear wheel drive, a VW GTI or Golf R or a Subaru WRX or STI might fit the bill. There might also be a few older Audi's like a TT that would also be nimble performers. Personally, I do not consider Corvettes in the nimble category, but they are great road circuit performers if you want to track it. I still miss my 96 C4S!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_80.jpeg (12.2 KB, 544 views)
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:29 AM   #13

Probably not what most would want but Ford Mustang . We left our motorcycles for our 2002 Mustang. The Mustang is the car for every man not great at anything but good at everything . Join Mustang Club America and join a local club and get ready for fun. Everyone , no ,matter where you go has a Mustang story and it is always the love for the Pony. We run our Mustangs on road rallys . Also lots of road courses have track days . Mustangs are cheap , bullet proof and fun .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:33 AM   #14

I think a Corvette convertioble is a good choice. I'm an American V8 guy, so those little 4 cyl just do not get me that excited. A C6 will fit your budget, can have some simple add-ons for increased performance, and with a convertible you get top-down fun in nice weather. Lots of 6-sped manual versions to be found.

If I had to settle for a 4 cyl smaller car, the S2000 is more my choice than a German car. I think the only way I could own a Miata is if it were a V8 Miata, often called Monster Miata.

If you can stay with a hardtop, the Camaro or Mustang, with V8 and manual trans are good options to consider. The GM LS V8 as used in Corvette and Camaro is a great engine with a lot of performance potential.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:35 AM   #15
Administrator

We have a 2001 BMW Z3 roadster that fits all your requirements. Fast and nimble; a real joy to drive. We only take it out on sunny days between April and October. In fact, I've only ever put the top up to wash it.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:38 AM   #16

Miata quickly came to mind given your specs. They use to be popular in the Autocross circles around here.

Another idea, how about a C5 Corvette?

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

For $25k, you can get a newer, lower mileage Cayman than any 911.

If you're a Porsche person, and you haven't driven a Cayman, I highly recommend you do so. Even though it's technically "a Boxster with a roof," that configuration transforms the road manners of the car.

Also, I just got a 2018 VW GTI, 6 speed, no sunroof, with 7,000 miles for $21,900. Basically, the first owner paid the depreciation. GTIs are great fun.

Another option is the FIAT 500 Abarth. Incredible amount of fun (and a great snarling exhaust) for not to much money.
OddGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykle57 View Post
Boxster and Caymans are nice too (I have one).
Another vote here for Boxster. I'm sure you could pick up a used one (say, 2009-2011) in good condition, low mileage, for under $25K. Beautiful, sexy car and tremendously fun to drive. Not cheap to maintain, but not exorbitant either if you can find a good, independent body shop — which you should do regardless of which car you settle on.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

My sister is now driving her third Miata over I don't know how many years.

Great car, well built. Styling has certainly changed over the years.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #20

I've enjoyed my Genesis Coupe since buying it new in 2010. You can get the last production year (2016) Ultimate version with 6 speed stick for under $25K. The 300 hp V6 is a nice engine.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote