Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2020, 12:42 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

We started retirement with 4 vehicles, but sold the snowbird place car. Now have DW’s 2012 Acura, my 2001 corvette, and my 2017 F150. I used to drive a lot when working, but hardly drive at all while not working, and less road trips due to selling the snowbird place and Covid.

I’ll sell the corvette when we downsize to a smaller house, but I might as well keep it for now. Probably drive it a few thousand miles a year. I eventually can see where we can downsize to one vehicle when we no longer need a truck.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2020, 12:54 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I WANT a new car every 3 years whether I need it or not. I get bored. So I agree it is not a general one size fits all.
As a guy who gets paid to breathe by my former automotive employer, I say consider buying a new car yearly.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:01 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We were the two car down to one car in retirement. We have come across one major problem. DW went to visit her sister and had a problem on the way home. Some two hours from home I had to get someone drive me to her as we had no second car. Thank heavens for good neighbors. We are now planning on keeping the 2016 Acura next year when we buy new again. We live rural, and it is nice to not have to ask to go to town.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:04 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
... We pay cash and keep them until they cost too much ...
Wise man. We do the same thing, never buying brand new. Lately we often splurge on one-model-year old cars still in dealer new stock or certified used/factory rep cars.

If I understand your budget, you plan to get 10 or 15 years on each car. Replacing all three over a 15 year cycle. That's maybe a little less car spending that we'll have. Our Nissan Frontier pickup is IIRC a 2004 or a 2006. That would be our most elderly. Current cars, a Soom WRX and a Mini Countryman are probably average 3 years old and will probably go at least six. Last two cars we ditched we did so due to serious engine problems. If the engines stay good then eventually the road salt will probably get 'em. Wild guess our aggregate mileage is maybe 20K, mostly local plus 400mi round trips to our lake home.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:46 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

On average our cars last 14 years at which point they are too expensive to repair. We have a 2008 Toyota Corolla with 57k mikes and a 2010 Honda Accord with 100k miles. I expect them to last another 10 years. When one dies we are going to try out just having one car.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #26

retired in Dec 2007 after returning to the US. Bought a 2008 RAV4 and still have it. 105K miles - I should easily get 200K out of it.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
When one dies we are going to try out just having one car.
One of the cars or one of you?
Old 07-06-2020, 02:10 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Jeb, the car)
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:18 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I've cut way back on my vehicles in retirement... For years I had anywhere from 8 to 12 vehicles at any point in time. (6 to 8 of those were vintage/collectables). I really enjoyed those cars but crawling around/over/under/through them to do the level of maintenance I wanted was getting to much on a regular basis.

So I still like cars (a lot) but I'm down to just 2 daily drivers and no collectables. Garage looks empty. My stock 2019 Jeep is my fun car. (0-60 in 3 sec flat, 1/4 in 11.2) and my 2020 Ram pickup is for everything else. I may buy/trade for a new Jeep next year if they bump the performance level again as the HP car forums are speculating. If not, I'll keep what I have for at least a few more years.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Jeb, the car)
Old 07-06-2020, 02:48 PM   #31
Administrator

When we retired last June, we had a 2019 Mini Cooper, a 2017 Subaru Forester, and a 2001 BMW Z3. In the year since, we have put <800 miles on the Mini, <7000 on the Forester, and <200 on the Z3.

We certainly won't need a new car in 5 years (maybe never).
Old 07-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #32

We have 2 cars. In 2017, when the crappy Northstar engine in DW's 1998 Cadillac blew its head gasket again, we decided it was time for a new car. Also, our grandson needed a car, so I sold him my 2003 Hyundai with 70K miles on it.
DW got a beautiful Mazda CX-5, and I got a 2016 Hyundai from Enterprise.
I use mine for running around, trips of 10 miles or so. If we go anywhere together, she drives her Mazda.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:16 PM   #33

We had three cars when starting retirement. One was used by the kids or as an emergency backup for our other two cars. It actually came in handy when my car was totaled. I drove it for a year before getting our Tesla Model X (SUV), then sold it. We had planned to sell the third car soon after retiring, but it didn't work out that way.

DW liked the Tesla so she bought a Tesla Model 3. Her old Mini was about 9 years old and seemed to have a lot of maintenance coming if we kept it. Now we both use the Model 3 for local drives and the Model X for long trips.

Two weeks ago we were going to pick up our carryout dinner and the Model 3 had 12V battery problems, so we used the Model X with no hassle. We could get by with one car, but having two seems easier.

The Teslas were an interesting choice. We really enjoy driving them. So much so that we put on about twice the number of miles per year on each of them. The Model X has an excuse since we never took regular long trips before. The Model 3 is just so fun that we find ourselves driving more often and not worrying about distance as much as we used to.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:20 PM   #34

We have always had one car and one pickup truck. For a fortunate few years I also had a motorcycle but sold it due to health issues. (Sniff.) The current pickup will be old enough to vote in a few months but only has a bit over 100k miles on it and everything works so I don't see what a new one would do for me other than some bells 'n whistles that I don't long for.

Yes, a full size 4WD pickup is expensive, big, heavy, a pain to park sometimes and on a good day gets 18 mpg. But in the snow it hasn't been stopped yet and if I'm ever in a wreck I'll probably be glad to be in something bigger and heavier than most of the competition. And if you own a house, they are just so doggone handy to have that for as long as we're in a house I'll want to have a pickup truck.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:46 PM   #35

Even going back long before retirement, I've always bought a new car (for cash) about every five years. I get great enjoyment out of the new gadgets, and it's well worth the cost for me. At the five year point, I've normally put around 150,000 miles on it.

DW tends to go a little longer, about six years on average, but the same story.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:56 PM   #36

My strategy has been to buy well-tended old Euro cars and drive them until I can't rely on them anymore. I'm currently into two E34 chassis BMWs, but I think my next step will move into the top-of the-line Lexus, the LS series. Lots of power, lots of luxury, good reliability. I'll probably look for something with 80K miles or so and 6-10 years old.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We have always had one car and one pickup truck. For a fortunate few years I also had a motorcycle but sold it due to health issues. (Sniff.) The current pickup will be old enough to vote in a few months but only has a bit over 100k miles on it and everything works so I don't see what a new one would do for me other than some bells 'n whistles that I don't long for.

Yes, a full size 4WD pickup is expensive, big, heavy, a pain to park sometimes and on a good day gets 18 mpg. But in the snow it hasn't been stopped yet and if I'm ever in a wreck I'll probably be glad to be in something bigger and heavier than most of the competition. And if you own a house, they are just so doggone handy to have that for as long as we're in a house I'll want to have a pickup truck.
The big issue for pickups here in the rust belt is ... rust. I've got a nice Ranger FX4 with 125K miles, but my tire shop guy this spring noticed a dime-sized little rust hole in the frame. Beginning of the end.

I've bathed the frame in Fluid Flim, along with the fuel and brake lines. Hope I can stretch this buggy's life to 150K miles. I do love it for what it does. Even the newest models don't measure up, IMO.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:14 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

We have 2 cars plus DB has one, plus DGF's son has one.
2011 BMW Z4 with 63k miles
2019 Mazda CX5 with 8k miles.
No plans to downsize. Will keep the Z4 until either can't get in/out of the car, or too high maintenance.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Car plan in retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
So what are you planning (if not retired) or what are you doing (if retired)?
I always had one car while working, and the month after I retired I traded it in on a brand new 2009 Toyota Venza that I bought in cash. I figured that way I was set for a while.

It's been over 10 years and I am all ready to buy a new car (even though this one only has 33K miles on it). But the money just sits there because I haven't found a model that appeals to me more than what I already have. I am 72 years old so maybe this car will last longer than I do.

Frank is my SO, who lives next door to me. He had two vehicles when he was working but cut back to one when he retired. He put more than 260K miles on his 2003 Murano (mostly before retirement). So, this year he traded it in on a 2018 Ford Fiesta that was cheap and gets great gas mileage. If either of us has car trouble, we can rely on the other so we don't worry about having just one car (each).

We go places together more often than not. When we do, we take turns driving to make sure both cars get some "exercise".
Old 07-06-2020, 04:25 PM   #40

I don't understand the desire to downsize to one car, at least in your mid-sixties, as long as you can afford it. When DW goes out, I don't want to be trapped at home. Many things are close, but not really walking distance.

We have a 2012 Pathfinder and a 2012 Altima. I only put 4-5,000 miles per year on the Altima, but want the convenience when she is gone. DW wants to replace the Pathfinder with a Lexus RX350, so that will happen sometime this year.

The additional fixed cost to retain the Altima is around $1,000/yr (insurance, gas and PP tax). Tires every 4-5 years adds another $100/year. Add oil changes, wipers, batteries, etc, and the all in cost is still less than $1,200/year

In a few years I will replace it, but haven't decided with what.