Join Early Retirement Today

Car plan in retirement
Old 07-10-2020, 07:18 PM   #61
Confused about dryer sheets

Car plan in retirement

We have 5 cars, an older Jeep in Surprise AZ (eventual snowbirds), and here in Central Oregon We have a 2017 F150, 2008 Benz C350, 1999 F350 7.3, and a 2020 F350 King Ranch. Iím almost 51, we are between 4-6 years out from retirement (I can leave in 4 but like the money). Benz and my Ford 7.3 are both for sale now, starting to downsize. I wouldnít want to go down to one rig here though, we each need something to go play in. The vehicle down south is just out of convenience, so we can fly down and drive on vacation, pre-retirement.
Trat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2020, 08:20 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post
Bought 2 Tesla's in '18. Didn't want to deal with car repairs or gas stations.
Good plan! That's exactly what me and my wife did (two Model 3's) and they are far better than we dreamed! Cost of ownership is super low and you get a car faster than most muscle cars. No smells, vibration, super fun to drive or hang-out in. Doesn't drip oil or need oil and filter changes. Every morning it's full and raring to go. The time savings are considerable when you have two cars that never need anything! After 2 1/2 years we wonder why we didn't do it sooner with the original Model S. Answer: Simply because we didn't know any better.

When I go skiing in a winter powder storm I defrost it from the last chairlift ride (using my cell phone) and when I ski down 10 minutes later it's all defrosted and warmed up so I don't get chilled when I cool off from all the activity. Gas cars take forever to start putting out significant heat in those conditions but the Model 3 is like "You want heat?" "OK, how about right now!" Gas savings are nice even with gas at $2.50 gallon.

We still have an F-150 but it never moves anymore. It needs an oil change for the summer months even though we haven't driven it but 200 miles. We will be replacing it with an all-electric truck when available.
RetiredAtThirty-eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:25 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
I’m not sure we really have a car plan. We’ve always intended to be a 2-car couple so no one feels trapped at home while the other is out. I have a 2003 Lexus hard-top convertible I still enjoy, and we have a 2014 Tesla S with unlimited supercharging. I think we’ll keep the electric car for as long as the battery holds out, because the unlimited supercharging is a very nice feature.
One of our Model 3's has free Supercharging (mine) and my wifes does not. I think it's over-rated because the only time we use it if we go out of town on a trip longer than 4-5 hours of driving. That's about 3 times a year for us and then it's nice but, guess what? We still tend to take my wifes car because it's setup for her dog!

I drive right by a Supercharger a couple of times/week and never stop because it's so cheap and easy to charge overnight at home. Yes, I could save $3 or $4 bucks here or there by stopping for a few minutes but it's not worth it. So I think free lifetime supercharging is over-rated unless you are often on multi-state trips. Even then, it's just a benefit of saving the Supercharging fees which are still far less than the gas would cost. There is zero convenience benefit.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:21 AM   #64
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Hi! We are looking at retirement next year @ age 55. Currently have 3 cars (no loans):

2020 BMW X3 M40i
2015 Chevy 2500HD
2015 BMW Z4

Don't plan on driving a lot in retirement. but who knows. We pay cash and keep them until they cost too much.

My current plan has us buying a new car every 5 years for $30k net. Not BMWs. Thinks Honda Accord or CRV. This continues until age 80 when we buy our last car.

I have no idea if this is a good plan or a bad plan. It's just the current plan. Would love to go down to 2 cars now but my wife likes her convertible. Maybe it stays until we don't want to pay for BMW maintainability anymore. Only has 24k miles on it. Wouldn't mind stretching each car to 15 years vs 10. But that doesn't sound like us.

So what are you planning (if not retired) or what are you doing (if retired)?

Thanks!

Corn
Iím thinking a pickup and hybrid sedan going with Honda line would be the best flexibility and long term cheapest.
LifeIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:48 AM   #65

I currently have a ~€40K car, which I plan on replacing every 8-10 years. I drive about 12,000 miles a year in retirement and a car is a must at this time, as my life is quite active.

But I live in a walkable neighborhood and pretty much everything I need is within walking distance (3 grocery stores, 1 big box store, my bank, the post office, the butcher, the bakery, the pharmacy, an urgent care facility, my barber, shops, restaurants, etc...). Furthermore, I just have to walk 100ft to access our efficient public transport system in case I need to travel through the rest our metro area (pop. ~1M). It also gives me access to the train station and the airport. So, if I didn't go out of town as often as I do, a car would be completely optional. If I become more sedentary later in life, I might do away with the car completely.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:27 AM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We just purchased a new SUV, we still had our older lease car in the garage also. I like to be prepared and always lease another car with one or 2 months overlap. We ended up sending the original lease car back 2 months early as there seemed no point keeping it in the garage doing nothing, especially in today's Covid world. So one car for us works well.

I still have a niggly yearning for another sports car, but cannot really justify a garage queen that "may" get driven once a month or even less. This is hard as up until 3 years ago I always had a "Toy" car to play with. Funnily enough I miss having one, but NOT driving one. Not sure why that is. I now just go look at my Neighbor, 4 doors down McLaren 720s, (Also in his garage not doing much) if I get serious sports car withdrawal.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:33 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a 2013 and 2016 SUVís ( we ate in New England).. As we downsized to a very small house with a very small driveway and Very small single car garage, at some point we might eliminate having 2 cars. But right now we like the freedom of each of us being able to go somewhere when we want to Go our separate ways and also knowing if one car is down we have the use of the other car until itís repaired.

We are not into cars in terms of status or needing new all the time. Plan going forward is if we do need a car at some point in the future it will be a used car.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:37 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIs View Post
Iím thinking a pickup and hybrid sedan going with Honda line would be the best flexibility and long term cheapest.
It wasn't long ago I thought a hybrid made sense due to the supposed disadvantages of electric vehicles.

What I learned when my wife bought a Model 3 shocked me! Everything I knew about EV's was wrong! EV's technology has advanced leaps and bounds to the point it's absolutely foolish to put a gas tank and engine in a car! The pure electric vehicle is simpler, cheaper and more convenient to own, has better performance and needs much less maintenance.

Disclaimer: I've never owned a non-Tesla EV so I'm not sure how I would manage the occasional road trips we like to take without the Supercharger network. Due to Tesla's charge network it may still be the only viable electric replacement for a hybrid or gasoline car.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:00 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

We have three, but need two. DW and I have schedules/interests that don't allow one car. Well into retirement year number three we have put very few miles on any of the cars.

I also thought that we would be changing out cars every five years and in fact test drove a couple last year. Yes we could afford one, but why? She loves her mini, we have a 2013 Audi Q5 that maybe gets 4K miles per year and I drive her old CRV to the golf club.

Retirement, for us, has not been as expensive as I had thought it would be.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:41 AM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have 4 but could probably use 2 now that I retired.

We could just keep my wife's SUV and the old pickup for chores but I like my other two rods; I just don't drive them often.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:17 AM   #71

We have a 2006 SAAB 9.3 sedan and a 2016 Acura MDX SUV. Weíre newly semi-FIRED and probably wonít need the SAAB, which costs about $1,200/ year just to sit there and look pretty.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:18 AM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

We currently have an SUV and a pickup. Both are relatively new, and in recent years the number of miles we drive each year have dropped significantly. But the distribution is certainly bi-modal. We are either driving around town, or we are road tripping 500 miles one-way or 1400 miles one way.

My plan with the pickup is to maintain it and continue to use it for farming purposes. I could get by without a pickup, as my brother now has 4 in the fleet and I could use one of those when needed. But, I like how it drives, I can haul a bed full of stuff back and forth, and pull a heavy trailer if needed. I don't know if I will ever buy another one though.

The SUV is the 1400 mile trip vehicle plus the grocery getter. It is much easier to get around in parking lots, and DW greatly prefers it to my pickup. We bought it when there was a big sale on them a couple years ago, and will possibly trade it up to a more premium version in a couple years. But I prefer to trade around 80k miles, and it will take a few years to get there.

All this talk about electric vehicles has stimulated the brain cells. I am seriously considering an electric vehicle as a 2nd vehicle (therefore 3rd total) at our winter place. I think the lithium battery technology plus the new magnets (thus motors) have made a quantum shift in propulsion technology. Our second vehicle usage would be short trips around town, no towing, mostly 1 or two people. Much like a great majority of folks. With the improvements in technology, and the social acceptance (and pressure), I really believe that our next vehicle will be a pure electric. And with a purchase price of around a third of a typical SUV, a new electric golf cart just seems to really make sense.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #73
Dryer sheet aficionado

We have been retired for 6 years, still have the 2 cars we retired with:

2010 Lexus RX350 and a 2012 Audi A6.

Have been considering our next car, but both of these are still running great. My last Audi maintenance was super expensive, probably would not buy another one now.

I get the convertible thing, had a Z3 for several years, and regret selling it to this day. May get another one!
Old 07-12-2020, 10:55 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAtThirty-eight View Post
When I go skiing in a winter powder storm I defrost it from the last chairlift ride (using my cell phone) and when I ski down 10 minutes later it's all defrosted and warmed up so I don't get chilled when I cool off from all the activity. Gas cars take forever to start putting out significant heat in those conditions but the Model 3 is like "You want heat?" "OK, how about right now!" Gas savings are nice even with gas at $2.50 gallon.
I have a "regular" car and live in a place where -35 is common. It's never taken longer than 10 minutes for any vehicle I've owned to warm up when it's that cold. At 0F it only takes 3 or 4 minutes.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #75

Just as before retirement - one "family car" that I mainly drive and we use for road trips. Current version is a 2015 Volvo XC-70 (wagon) bought used in 2017. Also a mid-sized sedan that my wife primarily drives. 2011 currently Buick Regal bought new. Try to get at least 10 years out of any car. I'm 75 and spouse will soon be 74 so not sure if/when our driving might have to be curtailed. I might be willing to try one car for a while when Buick dies but no sign of that yet.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:44 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAtThirty-eight View Post

Guess you never heard of remote starters ?
Personally I feel it's a waste in either case, as I'm still going to have my jacket and gloves on when I get into the car.

So I've never had a remote start car. I might like an EV for other reasons.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:40 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
We have been retired for 6 years, still have the 2 cars we retired with:

2010 Lexus RX350 and a 2012 Audi A6.

Have been considering our next car, but both of these are still running great. My last Audi maintenance was super expensive, probably would not buy another one now.

I get the convertible thing, had a Z3 for several years, and regret selling it to this day. May get another one!
If you do, upgrade to the Z4.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:43 PM   #78

My friends just bought a 2009 Z4. They had been looking for months and every used one in the old body style was sold before they could get to it. They finally found one that just came in on trade and bought it before the dealer put it up for sale. The 2006+ body style is in demand. And the M roadster and coupe are appreciating (at least ones with low miles). There really isn't anything else that looks quite like the last ten Z4.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
My friends just bought a 2009 Z4. They had been looking for months and every used one in the old body style was sold before they could get to it. They finally found one that just came in on trade and bought it before the dealer put it up for sale. The 2006+ body style is in demand. And the M roadster and coupe are appreciating (at least ones with low miles). There really isn't anything else that looks quite like the last ten Z4.
I have a 2011 Z4. I think that body style was changed somewhat from 2006 IIRC. More power and 7 inches longer.
It is not an M roadster, but effectively has an M engine (335hp).
When it is clean (black), it still gets lots of looks with the top down.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:24 AM   #80
gone traveling

We currently have the following;
-1996 F150 for hauling stuff, and Winter commuter for me.
-2004 diesel Excursion with seating for 8, we haul our travel trailer with.
-2013 Mustang my DD during good weather
-2007 Jeep Liberty her DD
-2001 BMW 325CI convertible her old DD, but has blown head gasket right now

Coming up to retirement, I would like to get down to 2 or 3 cars, we will never have only one.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote