Join Early Retirement Today

Car prices decreasing due to Hertz unloading vast number of cars
Old 05-25-2020, 05:10 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Car prices decreasing due to Hertz unloading vast number of cars

This article suggests that Hertz filing for bankruptcy and their cash needs may lower the prices of cars for sale. Article suggests a 5% to 15% savings over a used car dealer.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/24/busin...ars/index.html

In my informal, brief, unscientific, un-statistically valid comparison of Hertz cars with similar cars on Autotrader, I do not see much of a decline. Your thoughts?

BTW, my daily driver has 166,000 miles and DW's has 102,000, so....
Z3Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2020, 05:24 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Saw the same article and checked prices at Hertz, Avis, and Enterprise sales sites. It appears Avis has lower prices.

Compared the Avis price for a couple of vehicles to Edmunds valuations. Both were priced at or near Edmunds "Private Party" price, roughly 10% less than "Dealer Retail" price.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:27 AM   #3

In the past, when needing to replace our cars, I have checked on the Hertz resale site. On Thursday they sent me a marketing email to come back and check. Their prices are generally pretty good. I'm guessing that there will be much better prices in the coming months. Unfortunately we're not really in the market for a car right now - mine gets replaced next, it's 10 years old with almost 110,000 miles on it, but it is in great shape and runs well, so I'm determined to get at least another 5 years out of it.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:51 AM   #4

It will lower prices over time. Its not instantaneous as in "right now!".
Hertz direct sales needs to try to recover as much cash out of the assets as possible, so they're not just dumping cars. That will happen later when the costs of storage/financing/depreciation forces them to speed up and the vehicles start hitting used car auctions.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:45 AM   #5

Good prices on Volkswagens at the Avis site.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Buy a rental car? No thanks. I trash them when renting
Old 05-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYDREAMER View Post
Of course you trash them when renting. How exactly do you trash them? I assume you must purposely trash them, as generally folks will be extra cautious when renting as to not get a ticket, into an accident, or damage the vehicle which could result in additional expenses and headaches.

The certified pre-owned used cars at the major auto dealers are primarily from rental inventory. We've purchased only certified pre-owned for the past 20 years and have always been extremely happy with the price, quality, and follow up services.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's what I'm thinking too. I know people say that you know you have a car that's been maintained well when it was a rental, but I'm not even sure of that. When they are only going to keep a car for a year or two, do they really do much maintenance? Often it's a driver who notices issues with a car, but how many renters report an issue? Plus you have people driving it who stomp on the gas pedal and brakes, or might do dumb things like drive with the park brake on because they aren't familiar with it. I'll pass.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:18 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
The certified pre-owned used cars at the major auto dealers are primarily from rental inventory. We've purchased only certified pre-owned for the past 20 years and have always been extremely happy with the price, quality, and follow up services.
I thought they were mainly cars returned at the end of their lease? Technically you might call those rental cars, but those are not from rental car companies. Don't CPOs also tend to be lower mileage, which rental cars probably aren't?

https://www.caranddriver.com/shoppin...grams-feature/

Quote:
CPO vehicles tend to be newer, lower-mileage examples that the dealer has taken back at the end of their lease or as a trade-in.
You're saying that the rental car companies have their own sales, but also go through a dealer for CPO cars? Why wouldn't they try to sell those themselves?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I thought they were mainly cars returned at the end of their lease? Technically you might call those rental cars, but those are not from rental car companies. Don't CPOs also tend to be lower mileage, which rental cars probably aren't?

https://www.caranddriver.com/shoppin...grams-feature/

You're saying that the rental car companies have their own sales, but also go through a dealer for CPO cars? Why wouldn't they try to sell those themselves?

Yes, CPO is also from off-lease inventory...which I understand is also spiking now. I read an article a couple weeks ago that dealers have been refusing to take back leased cars which have come up to the end of their lease.

Yes, the rental car companies have their own sales. The cars sold as CPO through dealers are purchased by the dealers from the rental car companies. CPO/used cars which were previously rentals are required to disclose that - at least in my state.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:40 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rental cars are the perfect cars for going off-road, practicing burnouts, and hitting speed bumps at speed. I’ve done all that or been in a rental with friends who’ve done that.
I wouldn’t buy a rental under most any foreseeable circumstance.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:43 AM   #12

I've never "trashed" any car, including a rental, so maybe that colors my opinion more favorably towards the rental market.

I've purchased a number of rentals and never had issues - saved $ on the price, too. Own a 2015 ex-rental I purchased in late 2015 with 10K miles and saved 25% on the best price I could negotiate for the same car new. Purchased as a CPO vehicle through a dealership.

YMMV.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:43 AM   #13

I wouldn't buy a Mustang or Camaro from a fleet, but can't imagine a Camry or Minivan getting abused.
Quote:
Old 05-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
The cars sold as CPO through dealers are purchased by the dealers from the rental car companies. CPO/used cars which were previously rentals are required to disclose that - at least in my state.
Disposing of used rental cars

Quote:
As a general rule, rental car companies buy a large portion of their vehicles subject to repurchase or depreciation programs with the vehicle manufacturers. Under these programs, manufacturers agree to repurchase the vehicles at a specific time and/or price in the future, subject to certain conditions, or to guarantee the depreciation rate on the cars throughout the holding period.
I see a lot of CPO cars at dealerships that were formerly rentals, disclosed as such on CarFax and the title. Don't think selling these as certified vehicles would be profitable if they were all "trashed" and had resulting reliability issues.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
That's what I'm thinking too. I know people say that you know you have a car that's been maintained well when it was a rental, but I'm not even sure of that. When they are only going to keep a car for a year or two, do they really do much maintenance? Often it's a driver who notices issues with a car, but how many renters report an issue? Plus you have people driving it who stomp on the gas pedal and brakes, or might do dumb things like drive with the park brake on because they aren't familiar with it. I'll pass.
We bought two used cars from Hertz and Avis many years ago. At that time, their prices were a lot lower than anything other than a cash sale from the want ads, and the cars were in very good condition. Both companies provided the maintenance records as part of the transaction and they had done all the recommended work on time. It's possible they falsified the records, but we're talking about oil changes and tire rotations since these cars were only a couple of years old -- they didn't keep them long enough to need any major work. They also provided a warranty on top of whatever was left of the manufacturer's, so it was in their own interest to prevent problems. We kept both cars for about 10 years, and were happy with them.

Things seem to have changed though. In recent years I've had rentals from both companies that had a lot more miles on them than the ones we bought back then, so I wonder if they're keeping them and renting them out longer. And with all the pricing and inventory information that's available on line, it's a lot easier to find and compare cars. The last few times we've bought a car, the rental agencies haven't even been in the mix for consideration because whatever they had for sale just wasn't as good as the other options.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

The very first thing I do with a rental car is floor it to see if it will burn out. I take them up mountains, and don't worry about burning brakes on the way down. I don't worry about curbs. I baby nothing in the car. I don't dent them though. That would cost me.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
I wouldn't buy a Mustang or Camaro from a fleet, but can't imagine a Camry or Minivan getting abused.
+1
Old 05-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Disposing of used rental cars

I see a lot of CPO cars at dealerships that were formerly rentals, disclosed as such on CarFax and the title. Don't think selling these as certified vehicles would be profitable if they were all "trashed" and had resulting reliability issues.
That's interesting! I didn't know you could be buying a former rental even from a regular dealer. I was just thinking of Hertz Car Sales and similar places, where it's obvious that their cars are coming from the rental side of their business. https://www.hertzcarsales.com/
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:20 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

This sounds like a terrific opportunity for those members that prefer used cars, and I think that includes most of our members actually.

Personally I don't fit that category. What I want is not a cheap car, but a car that doesn't need repairs and won't ever leave me stranded by the side of the road. I hate that and I hate sitting in repair shops. I don't know anything about car mechanics and have zero desire to learn. I just want my car to be dependable and work when I need it, without any fuss. You know, like my toaster.

My 2009 Toyota Venza, bought brand new, fits the bill, and I haven't had to shop for another car in over a decade. I might sometime in the next five years or so. We'll see.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:24 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The very first thing I do with a rental car is floor it to see if it will burn out. I take them up mountains, and don't worry about burning brakes on the way down. I don't worry about curbs. I baby nothing in the car. I don't dent them though. That would cost me.
But why?

I don't drive a rental car any different than I do my personal vehicles... they are a way of getting from A to B.

Just because I can get away doing something stupic doesn't mean that I am so juvenille as to do it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote