Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2020, 02:43 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A couple of days ago DH received an e-mail from our local Lexus dealer wanting to know if he wanted to sell them his 2017 Lexus. Unprecedented demand for used cars due to Covid, move from public to private transport and low interest rates.

Of course, lookie at these nice sparkling new Lexus' you could buy .
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2020, 02:53 PM   #142

Oh and the new cars for sale/lease were 2020 models, not 2021. In Costco the other day I was looking at their car offering and they were showcasing 2019 models!
Old 08-09-2020, 03:08 PM   #143

Just bought a new car on Friday. Pick it up tomorrow.

The crazy thing is we expected to put down a deposit, and pick it up after we moved the cash around to pay for it.

No problem. Just give us a check for the full amount and we will wait for up to a week to cash it. Could have taken the car that day, but wanted them to have the time to properly prep it without sitting there for 2 more hours.

I am sure they ran credit checks and all, but I could have driven away in a car secured by a check they knew would bounce if they deposited it that day.

Crazy?

BTW, I will have the funds in the proper account by Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Just bought a new car on Friday. Pick it up tomorrow.

The crazy thing is we expected to put down a deposit, and pick it up after we moved the cash around to pay for it.

No problem. Just give us a check for the full amount and we will wait for up to a week to cash it. Could have taken the car that day, but wanted them to have the time to properly prep it without sitting there for 2 more hours.

I am sure they ran credit checks and all, but I could have driven away in a car secured by a check they knew would bounce if they deposited it that day.

Crazy?

BTW, I will have the funds in the proper account by Tuesday or Wednesday.
5 years ago when we went new car shopping we purposely left the checkbook at home. We decided on a new Acura and told the salesman we'd be back tomorrow with the check. No, no, no. Here's the car; bring in the check in the next day or 2 . They did run credit checks.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:09 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
5 years ago when we went new car shopping we purposely left the checkbook at home. We decided on a new Acura and told the salesman we'd be back tomorrow with the check. No, no, no. Here's the car; bring in the check in the next day or 2 . They did run credit checks.
A sale is not a sale until you have their money! I am pretty sure sales folks are told to do whatever is necessary to avoid having a buying customer leave without the car.
nwsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
A sale is not a sale until you have their money! I am pretty sure sales folks are told to do whatever is necessary to avoid having a buying customer leave without the car.
DH and I just couldn't believe it though. We were trying to decide between 2 SUVs with the Acura having the better rear camera grids; the Lexus the better ride. We thought the decision would be harder and that we would want to sleep on it. We were quite annoyed with ourselves for not bringing the checkbook, but turned out not to be a problem. Otherwise we would be a 2 Lexus family!
Old 08-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Yeah, after I thought about it, if I leave a deposit check, I could always change my mind, put a stop payment on the check, and then not go go back.

If I did that with a full payment check, and have the title (which I do) then it would be criminal fraud. There may be a few who would do that, but not many.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:46 PM   #148
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Another example of what's happening with used car prices...

Three months ago I did some online research looking at the trade-in value of my 2015 Buick. The same sites now show the value has increased by almost 30%. Crazy.

BTW, I sold it to my DD & SIL last week for $3,000 less than Carvana offered me. They have a kid in HS and two in college and took advantage of the REW family discount policy.

We are now down to a two car family (OK, an SUV and pickup family) for the first time in many years.

The key to understanding human behavior is realizing half the population is below average.
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote