Join Early Retirement Today

Car upkeep, what's neccessary and what's fluff?
Old 05-10-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Car upkeep, what's neccessary and what's fluff?

So Brewer just reminded me, I got my 60k tune up on the Jeep a couple months ago, and I noticed I too felt like it ran better, smoother, etc. But it ain't cheep, I think with everything it cost me nearly $700. The list of things they did ran three pages, but I was wondering, how much of that are things that really don't need to be done? Sure, oil changes are a no brainer, but replacing the hoses? How about we just see if one is cracked and replace that one? I declined that, but there are others I accepted but weren't sure. I was just thinking, since there are a bunch of LBYM types here, this is an area where a little knowledge could really squeeze some more blood out of the turnip that is our budget...
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Car upkeep, what's neccessary and what's fluff?
Old 05-10-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I drove my last car 287,000 miles (13 yrs), never let a dealer touch it, was worked on by only one mechanic. changed oil and filter every 2500 miles, at which time the mechanic gave it the once-over -- did all maintainance items as listed in the manual.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:59 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I took my Isuzu in a couple of weeks ago for an oil change and a new timing belt. Got that along with a new water pump, break job, and a general tune up all for the tidy sum of $825.* *

With that investment, looks like I'm gonna have to drive it another year or two. If I do that then I will need another set of tires before long. It never ends. *

I will admit, it drives a whole lot better now.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:02 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I ski the dealer and go to my independent mechanic. I have him do only what is in the manual. The dealer usually pushed a ton of fluff.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Oil and filter every 5k mi, air filter when dirty, fuel filter @ 50k, plugs maybe 50k, change antifreeze and flush system at maybe 50-60k, change tranny fluid at 50-60k, check differential grease and add plus grease chassis at oil changes...

Oh yeah, belts and hoses when frayed or worn, tires rotated every 5k or so, timing belt at recommended mileage...

YMMV...*

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
I took my Isuzu in a couple of weeks ago for an oil change and a new timing belt. Got that along with a new water pump, break job, and a general tune up all for the tidy sum of $825.* *
I think you got a whole lot for your $825.

Ha
Old 05-10-2006, 02:57 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I stick with the schedule except:
change belts when worn, change hoses when worn, change brake fluid when doing brake job. I do most maintenance myself, and have an oil change place to the real messy work, like changing the coolant.

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:59 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I think you got a whole lot for your $825.

Ha
Maybe. I've just become a cheap old bastard these days. *
Old 05-10-2006, 03:01 PM   #9

Find a trustworthy, experienced and reasonably-priced mechanic (I know that's really difficult) -- and let him/her decide what's necessary.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:27 PM   #10

Here is my list of essentials: Follow Mfgr Recs on all items

1.) Oil and Filter Changes

2.) Air Filter

3.) Coolant Change

4.) Brake Fluid

5.) Transmission and Differential Fluid

6.) Tire Rotation

7.) Timing Belt
Old 05-10-2006, 03:36 PM   #11

Here's what my 2000 Intrepid has gone through over its 117,000 miles...

30,000 miles: transmission service, new tires
39,000 miles: new front brake pads
51,000 miles: new rear brake pads, new spark plugs, alignment check, replace thermostat housing, which was leaking
62,000 miles: front end alignment, transmission service
69,000 miles: new front brake pads
77,000 miles: new tires
85,000 miles: new accessory belts, coolant change
87,000 miles: TSB to fix problem with oil pressure sending unit (oil pressure light would come on but thankfully, it was a false reading!)
91,000 miles: transmission service
98,000 miles: new front brake pads, new front rotors
102,000 miles: new rear brake pads
106,000 miles: new battery (as a precaution)

Plus, I've done oil changes every 3000-4500 miles. Tried to change the PCV valve and air filter every 15-20,000. And rotate the tires every third oil change.

As for upcoming stuff, about the only thing I'm planning on is another tranny service at around 120,000 miles, and maybe change the coolant and hoses in the fall. The mechanic told me to change the coolant around 150,000 miles, and he'd do the hoses too (they were fine the first time around...evidently they last longer with that pink stuff?). However, I don't drive nearly as much as I used to, so 150,000 miles is probably at least 3 years away.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:40 PM   #12

Quote:
The mechanic told me to change the coolant around 150,000 miles,

Must not live in a place that gets much winter. Coolant will break down after 30-40K. In a Minnesota winter you'd have a big problem.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:42 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I've known several GM products where the coolant turned to sludge, causing major problems...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:00 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

From what I've seen, most of the "check this, check that" stuff never gets checked. Thats what you're paying extra for. That can lead to a false sense of security.

Unless its one of those deals where they check stuff for free looking for stuff they can charge you to fix. Then you better get a second opinion.

Theres a term, I think its "wall job", where you bring your car in for service, they put it over next to a wall, and go get it when you come in to pay.

Ever notice your car seems to run better after you wash it?

Perception... :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

In the 1980s we religiously ripped submarines apart and rebuilt them according to schedule. It didn't matter if you just ran that pump for a couple months with no problem or the new parts didn't look any different than the "old"-- if it had been x months or y run-hours then you "maintained" it. Of course sometimes the maintenance caused more hassle, damage, and delays than just letting it run to failure.

When the Cold War ended the submarine force discovered with a shock that our money supply wasn't infinite. Suddenly we became "smarter" about performing maintenance "only when necessary". Entire "performance monitoring" teams were created to sweep through a submarine during its upkeep, running all the gear and checking various performance criteria. It took a while to work out the bugs, but eventually the equipment only received maintenance attention when its performance was noticeably degraded.

Today a lot of the submarine systems are built with their own performance-monitoring microprocessors. They'll tell you when they want your help. I hear a lot of newer cars are the same way, but our most recent model is 1997 so I guess we won't find out about that for a while.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:23 PM   #16

When I was in the Navy, I had my 'own' little Navy base, complete with a barb wire fence around it, which consisted of a Radar Trailer in the woods. It was used for electronic warfare training for pilots.

I was the lead Petty Officer. After a few months it dawned on me that performing 'regular' maintenance was causing 'downtime' - I just started filling in the maint sheets without doing the maint - I was commended for the highest 'up' time the following year. My main mission was 'getting out' of the Navy - Having a lot of 'down time' produced too much scrutiny. 8) - If I actually admitted I was doing this, I would have spent my remainder of my duty in the Brig.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:55 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Wow C-T, you definitely have a pair! I'd be too chicken to risk time in a Navy Brig (No, no, I said I was bilingual, that means something different!).
Old 05-10-2006, 04:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Wow C-T, you definitely have a pair! I'd be too chicken to risk time in a Navy Brig (No, no, I said I was bilingual, that means something different!).
I don't follow you here Laurence. I read your post about 4 times. I'm sure it's funny, but you're gonna have to explain it to me
Old 05-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I got it.

I dont want it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Navy...hey sailor, prison, prisonmate, bilingual, not bisexu-oh, well, I think I've run it into the ground at this point. *

I should have put quotes around it, "No, no, I said I was 'bilingual' that means something different! *I don't switch hit!"