Join Early Retirement Today

Cash back credit cards
Old 08-07-2015, 09:49 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cash back credit cards

I have 2 cards, Chase Sapphire and Amex Preferred... have been happy with the cash back features of both for the last 2 years.

Are there any other newer, better offers out there that I should investigate?
The Capital One Quicksilver looks like a winner with 1.5% cash back on everything, no limit... anyone using this one?

Thanks in advance...
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm partial to Capital One cards in general, primarily because of their OUTSTANDING fraud protection. They caught some fraudulent charges on my card last week and called to let me know. Cards cancelled, no charges and nothing to worry about (except a few recurring charges to update with new card info).

Anyway, 1.5% with that flexibility is not bad. Airline cards seem to be a good value for those who travel similar routes on the same airline a lot.
alistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I have both the Quicksilver and the Citi Double Cash.

We got the Quicksilver first, and used it until we got the Citi Double Cash. I prefer the Citi Double Cash because its a Mastercard and I can use it at Sams Club (a place we shop at often)

2% Back Overall on the Citi Double Cash. 1% when you buy, and 1% when you pay it off. We just autodraft payments each month for the full balance so we get 2% cash back!
DROPOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

thx for reminding me to check my sapphire balance, I have 68,000 points - time to take a free trip to Houston again (when it cools off)
Old 08-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

A Couple Notes:

1) Capital One will Triple Pull Credit Reports (1 report from each Agency) ... Citi will only pull 1 credit report from 1 Credit Reporting Agency.

2) I got a better starting limit with Citi. Started at $20k limit on the Quicksilver (now at $23k) and got $25k from the get go from Citi.

Both are Super Prime cards with No Annual Fee.
DROPOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Two no- fee cards:

Fidelity Amex and Visa. 2% on the Amex, 1.5% on the Visa till you spend $15,000, then it goes to 2%. Set up an account at Fidelity and they automatically deposit the cash back into the account. Totally painless.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Fidelity AMEX no annual fee - 2% on everything.
BofA Travel Rewards VISA no annual fee - 1.5% back on everything, plus 10% bonus if you have a BofA bank account. And no foreign transaction fee.
I use the Penfed cash rewards VISA (also no fee) for 3% back on gas, otherwise for no foreign transaction fee and chip card with PIN if I need a PIN overseas.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair View Post
I'm partial to Capital One cards in general, primarily because of their OUTSTANDING fraud protection. They caught some fraudulent charges on my card last week and called to let me know. Cards cancelled, no charges and nothing to worry about (except a few recurring charges to update with new card info).

Anyway, 1.5% with that flexibility is not bad. Airline cards seem to be a good value for those who travel similar routes on the same airline a lot.
Love CapOne, Ultra love the app that notifies me IMMEDIATELY of every purchase as soon it's made, including the wife's! :-)
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Two no- fee cards:

Fidelity Amex and Visa. 2% on the Amex, 1.5% on the Visa till you spend $15,000, then it goes to 2%. Set up an account at Fidelity and they automatically deposit the cash back into the account. Totally painless.
I just recently started the Fidelity Amex card.
Have had an account at Fidelity since 1986.

Seems too easy, bit I'll give it a go.
ownyourfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #10

I have AMEX Blue Cash Preferred. 6% back on supermarket purchases, 3% on gas, 1% on everything else (there are also some "preferred" vendors where you get more than 1%). $75 annual fee, but for my usage I average $75 rebate per MONTH so it's well worth it to me.
When I got the card, the fee was not waived but there was a $150 incentive for charging $1000 in the first 3 months.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I have AMEX Blue Cash Preferred. 6% back on supermarket purchases, 3% on gas, 1% on everything else (there are also some "preferred" vendors where you get more than 1%). $75 annual fee, but for my usage I average $75 per MONTH so it's well worth it to me.
When I got the card, the fee was not waived but there was a $150 incentive for charging $1000 in the first 3 months.
This is also my preferred card - since I buy a lot of our beer & wine at the supermarket, the 6% adds up.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #12

fido MC 1.5% (I use), Fido amex 2% (I don't use), Citi (1%), Discover... the last 2 have 5% select purchases. Fido MC has been great at detecting fraud.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #13

Barclay's (Sallie Mae) Visa for 5% back on Gas, Groceries and Amazon
Fidelity Amex for 2% back on everything else.

And I'll occasionally jump on one of the Citi intro offers to pick up a quick few 10's of K frequent flyer miles.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #14

Fido AmEx and WFB Visa, both give me 2% cash back on everything. Have racked up over $1K within the last 6 mos. with our remodeling. I anticipate another $4-5K before we're done next year .
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPOUT View Post
I have both the Quicksilver and the Citi Double Cash.

We got the Quicksilver first, and used it until we got the Citi Double Cash. I prefer the Citi Double Cash because its a Mastercard and I can use it at Sams Club (a place we shop at often)

2% Back Overall on the Citi Double Cash. 1% when you buy, and 1% when you pay it off. We just autodraft payments each month for the full balance so we get 2% cash back!
+1

Got the Capital One Quicksilver (Visa) first and Citi Double Cash (Master Card) later.
  • Cards holders are not required to have checking, savings, investments, etc. with either Capital One or Citi. Manage all online if desired.
  • Double Cash is a security chipped card - Quicksilver is not.
  • Dbl Cash supports text alerts for all purchases. Cap1 dropped this great feature recently, and now only alerts purchases via email (what were they thinking?).
  • Double cash uses the same CC number for husband/wife scenario (cards do ID each in online transaction history), but Quicksilver utilizes separate account numbers tied together on statement.
  • Got a $100.00 bonus with Quicksilver in the first month -applies to future purchases as an account credit.
  • 2% beats 1 1/2%, and add in a chip card and text alerts - gives Citi the advantage.
Have also found Citi Customer Service personnel to be more knowledgeable than Capital One Customer Service personnel (Capital One personnel were not knowledgeable about their company policy changes).
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #16

We use 3 cash-back cards, with no annual fees:

1. AMEX Blue Cash... 5% on gas, groceries, and drug stores.
2. Fidelity AMEX... 2% on everything else.
3. Fidelity VISA... 1.5% wherever AMEX is not accepted.

Based on our spending pattern, this works out to be just under 3% cash back with no annual fee. I fund all our Amazon purchases using gift cards from Kroger. We use these cards for almost everything. All 3 cards have the chip.

I should mention that our AMEX Blue Cash is a grandfathered version of the current offering. There's no annual fee and no caps, but you don't get 5% until you've made $6.5K of purchases each year at 1% cash back. So we use that card exclusively at the start of each year and then switch to the 3-card system after hitting $6.5K.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:00 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Apprently, Fidelity will keep its cashback at 2% until at least November 2016.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/09/yo...last.html?_r=0

Quote:
Fidelity guaranteed to me early last year that it would not change the 2 percent rebate for at least 18 months. This week, it reset that clock, so anyone who starts using that card now will be safe until November 2016, at least.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
+1

Got the Capital One Quicksilver (Visa) first and Citi Double Cash (Master Card) later.
  • Cards holders are not required to have checking, savings, investments, etc. with either Capital One or Citi. Manage all online if desired.
  • Double Cash is a security chipped card - Quicksilver is not.
  • Dbl Cash supports text alerts for all purchases. Cap1 dropped this great feature recently, and now only alerts purchases via email (what were they thinking?).
  • Double cash uses the same CC number for husband/wife scenario (cards do ID each in online transaction history), but Quicksilver utilizes separate account numbers tied together on statement.
  • Got a $100.00 bonus with Quicksilver in the first month -applies to future purchases as an account credit.
  • 2% beats 1 1/2%, and add in a chip card and text alerts - gives Citi the advantage.
Have also found Citi Customer Service personnel to be more knowledgeable than Capital One Customer Service personnel (Capital One personnel were not knowledgeable about their company policy changes).
I got both of these 2 cards in the past couple weeks. Ive made purchases on both cards.

CitiBank 2% card...made purchase on 8/28. My online account shows Zero cash back earned. I called and they confirmed I do have cash back and said it would show up on my screen in a few days. It still hasnt.

Capital One 1.5% card...cash back showed up online immediately (incl $100 bonus that I didnt know I was getting)
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I have 2 cards, Chase Sapphire and Amex Preferred... have been happy with the cash back features of both for the last 2 years.

Are there any other newer, better offers out there that I should investigate?
The Capital One Quicksilver looks like a winner with 1.5% cash back on everything, no limit... anyone using this one?

Thanks in advance...
CHASE Freedom (no fee) - category bonus each quarter earn 5% up to around $1500
and you can transfer the points to your Sapphire card!
currently includes Gas Stations for this quarter.
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #20

AmexBlue to replace the Costco version that is going away. Offered $100 credit for charging $500 in the first 90 days. 3% for grocery stores (but not Costco or other superstores) - up to $6k, 2% for gasoline (but not Costco or other superstores), 2% at selected department stores (meh not a great list of stores), and 1% on everything else

Chase Freedom (no fee) with revolving category bonuses. Can link your Amazon account to this card and use your Chase points to pay for Amazon purchases.

Plus the Costco card which will be a Citi something paying something - mostly used for Costco gas and Costco purchases

All my other cards generally just provide convenience and junk mail.

Rita