Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another benefit on some cards is their cash back bonus amount can be used to pay entirely or partly for Amazon purchases.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
You have been missing out on FREE money, even the no fee CC are great.

I can pay bills from my bank, so I just add a new credit card as the payee to my list of things I pay. Most are Credit cards when I think about it.
I add it to my bank list as soon as I get the paper statement from the credit card (it has a payment slip on the statement). Then I immediately pay $1 to test.
I create the online account for the new credit card.
I sign in a few days later to see if the $1 is received, once I see they got the $1, I pay off the statement early, from my regular bank.

I have about 8 credit cards, all give me reward points which I can change into gift cards, or credit on the credit card statement, or use to stay at a hotel for free.

All my long term cards are no annual fee.

I do each year sign up for an annual free (but free the first year) card, use it for 11 months, get the $500->$600 bonus, then cancel the card. On rare occasions I will keep the card and pay the fee if it's a really great card for travel.
The most I've paid a fee is for 2 years, meaning I kept that card for a total of 3 years (it is cancelled now).

Sunset- Curious as to what bank allows you to use CC for BillPay payee? I checked my regional bank, no go. I then checked Fidelity to try and setup my Fidelity Visa, but also can’t set it as payee. I’d love to do this and use to pay my mortgage, etc. I already use a Hyatt Visa for all store items (groceries, clothing, restaurants, etc), and use a Sam’s card for all gas purchases (5%).
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:36 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I also have a Capital One card which is 1.5% back on everything. I use it mostly with its ENO system. ENO generates special CC numbers for use at only one company. For example, I pay my $15 Placemat of the Month Club charge with an ENO number. If some crook gets the number it won't be much good unless she wants to pay for my placemats. And I don't have to remember all the auto-payments setup on various cards. I just tell ENO to use a new number.

Self proclaimed President for Life of Outliers United.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

We get the most off our Costco VISA with 3% travel hotels and dining with no foreign transaction fee, and our Amazon Store Card with 5% back. After that our 2% Fidelity. It really adds up. This year I expect our Costco VISA Cash Rewards check to exceed $700.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We use the Fido VISA 2% card to pay virtually all our bills. Along with the bill pay and brokerage the cash back system runs itself. However, We have cut back on using it in some instances due to repeated theft of the cc number.

We also have Hilton and Delta AMEX cards we use only with the points/miles programs at those vendors.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I’ve had the Citibank 2% card since 2010. We pay as much as possible with it and never had a problem, never even been hacked (knock on wood). I take a statement credit each month for the rebate.

We don’t bank with Citibank, so I have it set up as a payee with my online bill pay, just like all the utilities. No big deal. I always have the payment sent so that it is credited 1 day before the bill is due. No reason to give them your money early, unless you are up against your credit limit. In that case, just ask for an increase. If you pay it off every month they won’t decline the request.

Is there a reason you pay off your balance before even being sent a bill? They will give you 20 days or so to pay before they assess interest.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
By far, my workhorse card for day-to-day purchases is DiscoverIT. I started out when Discover first came out (a cash back was novel then). As I recall, the company’s roots were Sears but could be mistaken about that.
Yes, Discover was Sears' baby. Wikipedia article here.

I recall the days when Sears would only accept their store card or Discover. No Visa, no Mastercharge, no Amex. Back when they were worth shopping at, that was a PITA.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Cash Back Credit Cards?
Old 01-15-2019, 02:58 PM   #28
gone traveling

Cash Back Credit Cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
We use the Fido VISA 2% card to pay virtually all our bills. Along with the bill pay and brokerage the cash back system runs itself. However, We have cut back on using it in some instances due to repeated theft of the cc number.

We also have Hilton and Delta AMEX cards we use only with the points/miles programs at those vendors.

So you set up the Fido Visa as a Payee in your Fidelity Cash Management account? Any tips on doing that? I haven’t seen a way to do it so far....

Thanks
Old 01-15-2019, 03:21 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

ERD50, is there an annual fee on the Fidelity Visa 2% card? Is that 2% for everything?
My 401K was recently moved over to Fidelity. Is this card free for people with a Fidelity account?
Thanks, JP
JP.mpls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
ERD50, is there an annual fee on the Fidelity Visa 2% card? Is that 2% for everything?
My 401K was recently moved over to Fidelity. Is this card free for people with a Fidelity account?
Thanks, JP

No annual fee for Fidelity 2% Visa card. Yes, it's 2% for everything. I think you may have to open a regular account with Fidelity in addition to the 401k because that's where the 2% rebate gets credited. Another characteristic is there is a transaction fee for international purchases so you'll want another CC for international purchases.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:34 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

There IS such a thing as a free lunch using a good cash back credit card. I HATE the ones that change categories quarterly. I use PenFed for gas(5%), Amazon Chase (1-5%), Fidelity (2%), Target(5%) and Lowe’s (5%). I try to use them for everything even if it’s just a few bucks. If I buy a $10 item, I picture the clerk asking me if I’d like to pay $10 or $9.80. My response will always be $9.80! I’m gradually adding autopay for monthly utilities if they don’t charge a fee. These are on autopay. My homeowners and auto insurance go on a credit card too. It adds up fast. I mostly push payments from my checking accounts but all these cards will also pull payments from a checking or savings account.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:46 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
.... I'm currently looking at the Citi Double Cash credit card. Supposedly 2% on all purchases (1% when buying, 1% when paying off), no caps, no annual fees. Sounds good, but again, that makes me nervous.....
We have had the Citi Double Cash card for a couple years now. DS has one as well, in fact, he is how we became familiar with it. Nothing to be nervous about... we pay our balance in full every month so I have an auto-pay set up where they draw the balance from our local checking account each month. the only thing that I need to do is to make sure that there is enough money in our checking account to cover the auto-pay, which I would have to do anyway. In effect, 2% on every purchase and no need to wonder what card to use with what category this month.

In addition, I like that they offer a generous extension of the manufacturer's warranty.... so I used my Citi card to buy some appliances last summer:

Quote:
One credit card provider — Citi — stands above the rest when it comes to the extended warranty benefit. In particular, all Citi cards that I checked — ranging from the $450 annual fee Citi Prestige to the no annual fee Citi Double Cash Card — offer the following extended warranty benefit:
  • Extension of the manufacturer’s warranty by two years, with total coverage not exceeding seven years from the purchase date
  • If an extended warranty is purchased, Citi’s coverage begins at the expiration of that warrant
  • Coverage up to $10,000, capped at the lower of the purchase price and the cost to repair or replace
As far as I can tell, Citi credit cards are the only cards to offer a two-year extended warranty; the extended warranty benefit offered by other credit cards is no longer than a year. Citi doesn’t seem to have a minimum manufacturer’s warranty required for coverage either, so a one-month manufacturer’s warranty could be extended by two years.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/best-...nded-warranty/
I also like Price Rewind where you can register purchases and get a credit for the difference between what you paid and other prices available within 60 days of your purchase.... we've actually collected some on Price Rewind. https://www.citipricerewind.com/

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #33

If you are a Costco member, look into getting the Costco Visa from Citi. It replaces your Costco membership card, but it's also a regular Visa card that you can use everywhere. It has no annual fee (other than the normal Costco membership fee you are paying anyway) and there's no need to sign up for any categories or keep track of anything or open a savings or investment account anywhere else. You just get a coupon every February that you can redeem at Costco for either cash or merchandise. There are other ways to get a few bucks more if you want to play the game of keeping track of categories and juggling cards and all that, but if you just want an easy way to get a rebate on your expenses, this card works fine.

You pay the bill online the same way you pay other bills online. Either login to the Citi website and transfer money from your US Bank checking account, or login to US Bank and use their online bill pay service to pay Citi.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
If you are a Costco member, look into getting the Costco Visa from Citi. It replaces your Costco membership card, but it's also a regular Visa card that you can use everywhere. It has no annual fee (other than the normal Costco membership fee you are paying anyway) and there's no need to sign up for any categories or keep track of anything or open a savings or investment account anywhere else. You just get a coupon every February that you can redeem at Costco for either cash or merchandise. There are other ways to get a few bucks more if you want to play the game of keeping track of categories and juggling cards and all that, but if you just want an easy way to get a rebate on your expenses, this card works fine.

You pay the bill online the same way you pay other bills online. Either login to the Citi website and transfer money from your US Bank checking account, or login to US Bank and use their online bill pay service to pay Citi.
Worth mentioning that the foreign transaction fee was dropped last year so I use it for all European hotels and most dining 3% cash back.

BofA accepts ebills from Citi, so automating payments is easy for us.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
So you set up the Fido Visa as a Payee in your Fidelity Cash Management account? Any tips on doing that? I haven’t seen a way to do it so far....

Thanks
There is no difference in setting up the Fidelity VISA as a payee vs. setting up any other payee. Do you have other payees set up in Fidelity BillPay?
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Cash Back Credit Cards?
Old 01-15-2019, 04:32 PM   #36
gone traveling

Cash Back Credit Cards?

I’m assuming I have read something wrong in the previous posts, since no one is replying to my question.

Does anyone have a CC set up as the Payee in their BillPay. Meaning, that bills set up to be paid through BillPay, are paid by the CC?

TIA
Old 01-15-2019, 04:40 PM   #37

I've got a Capital One Quicksilver (1.5% cash back) Discover (1.5% plus 5% on "category" spending that rotates quarterly) and Costco Citi (4% on gas, 3% on travel/restaurants, 2% on Costco purchases). Right now the Discover card features a 5% rebate on grocery purchases. Of course I often hit the $60 "cashback" key at checkout. What a great ATM alternative, getting a $3 rebate instead of getting hit with a $3 surcharge.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
I’m assuming I have read something wrong in the previous posts, since no one is replying to my question.

Does anyone have a CC set up as the Payee in their BillPay. Meaning, that bills set up to be paid through BillPay, are paid by the CC?

TIA

Although Discover is the card I use for routine purchases, recurring expenses that aren’t utilities (e.g., streaming, Internet) are automatically billed to an AmEx card. There’s no bank involved until the AmEx bill comes due.

The utilities are paid by electronic draft (ACH?), taken directly from my checking account.

“BillPay” is a pretty generic term, but I think my answer is yes and no (in “Kermit-speak”, “nes”)

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #39
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Although Discover is the card I use for routine purchases, recurring expenses that aren’t utilities (e.g., streaming, Internet) are automatically billed to an AmEx card. There’s no bank involved until the AmEx bill comes due.

The utilities are paid by electronic draft (ACH?), taken directly from my checking account.

“BillPay” is a pretty generic term, but I think my answer is yes and no (in “Kermit-speak”, “nes”)

Ok. Yes, I do have a couple of utility type bills paid directly through the card, Just haven’t found an online bill pay system yet that will allow me to shut the credit card as a payee. I thought some of the previous posts had done that, but maybe not.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
Is there a reason you pay off your balance before even being sent a bill?
I treat our credit cards more like an extended debit card. We can buy things without having to worry about whether our checking balance will cover it. But I do whatever it takes to pay off those credit balances as soon as I possibly can (the next day if they show up online for me to pay them). Usually that just means paying it from checking, but occasionally I may need to pull money from savings or other accounts if we've overspent that month (such as our new washer/dryer last month).

I guess I'm weird, I just don't like owing anyone. I sleep better when the credit card balances are all zero.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote