Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-19-2019, 12:43 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Someone asked about my credit score, as I have about 8 cards, most are fee free, long term that I use a bit, and each year I get a new card or two. Use them and usually cancel them before the year is up.
I thought it was 800 - 780 depending upon timing.

Turns out it's 820, from one of the big 3 credit companies (rather than some made up number).
They also have a neat simulator which showed adding a new credit card didn't even move my credit score.
This makes sense, since I have 8 old cards, if you think each averages 10 years, adding a new one would be 80 yrs / 9 cards for age vs current 80 yrs / 8 cards, not much difference.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2019, 06:57 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

I also have a credit score 820+ and numerous credit cards. It might have been pushed down to 790+ the year I added 3 cards because the deals were so good as that caused several hard credit pulls, but the score has rebounded since.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:37 AM   #123

This thread reads a lot like Clark Howard's Best Credit Cards guide:

https://clark.com/credit-cards/best-...-credit-cards/

I decided to replace the DiscoverIT 1% card with the Fidelity 2% card. I rarely catch any of the 5% stuff on the DiscoverIT...too disorganized to recall what's 5% and often it's not stuff I buy. The Fidelity card will be a simplification.

First I called the (separate) customer service of the Fidelity card and found out I needed to thaw all 3 credit bureaus . They're probably only going to check one, but they make you thaw all three. So I came up with this bit of Credit Thaw Documentation for myself and the rest of the world.

And... it worked! The online application for the Fidelity card went through. NOW what I'm I going to do the rest of the day?

I might research the cards with monster sign-up bonuses if you spend big bucks in the first 3 months... I have some trips on the calendar I haven't paid for yet.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

The expanded BofA Rewards options appeared for me today. I don't charge a lot of stuff on my CC, but being able to change the 3% choice from month to month will be somewhat helpful.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

On a related note, let's say one has 2400 of charges towards the quarterly limit, but then charges 5k for a travel expense (travel being the 3% choice), does one get the full credit?
I believe it is yes.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

PenFed has a no fee card with 1.5% back, 2% if you have a checking account with them (might be a certain type of checking). I bank with PenFed anyway so the credit card is convenient, one less account to log into. Only thing is, I couldn't get my credit limit raised because I apparently have too many cards. My credit score is 815. I have another card with them I no longer use, so they are going to let me move the credit limit from that over, once I get the ownership fully matching. I had one other authorized user on the old that's not on the new. I do have other cards, mostly from other promotions. One with better notifications that I use if there's anything questionable, such as losing sight of the card in a restaurant, or a new web store, or shady looking gas station. Another that I tuck in my phone case just in case I'm without my wallet--skiing, running, etc. Another with better payback on revolving categories like gas or groceries.

I've also noticed from my last credit report that a couple cards I asked to have closed are still showing active. Is there a trick to getting them closed, or will it happen over time, or do I need to be persistent?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
...I might research the cards with monster sign-up bonuses if you spend big bucks in the first 3 months... I have some trips on the calendar I haven't paid for yet.
If you buy gift cards for yourself or others and charge them on the card do those charges qualify for the monster sign-up bonuses? If so, I may have a new hobby to consider.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:17 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
If you buy gift cards for yourself or others and charge them on the card do those charges qualify for the monster sign-up bonuses? If so, I may have a new hobby to consider.
Interesting idea. The only experience I have is buying a $100 Amazon gift card that included a $5 credit. Bought it after I already had a $100 item in my shopping cart, so free five bucks...why not? But I'm glad you mentioned this idea. When I go searching, I'll check the fine print for that.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:21 PM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

We use (3) credit cards.
Citi Double Cash 2% on everything
Bank of the West 3% on groceries
Citi Costco 4% on gas, 3% on dining
I used to love the Chase card, but stopped using it once they went to quarterly categories. I cannot train my DH to switch from one card to another 4 times a year.
misty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Interesting idea. The only experience I have is buying a $100 Amazon gift card that included a $5 credit. Bought it after I already had a $100 item in my shopping cart, so free five bucks...why not? But I'm glad you mentioned this idea. When I go searching, I'll check the fine print for that.
Let us know what you find out.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:46 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think itís very likely that they do. All the credit card company knows is what retailer you bought from, not what you bought. Even Costco gives you the executive rebate for buying gift cards they sell.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:51 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
It worked for me.
However, not being a manufactured spending person, I ended up with a bunch of gift cards, which later I used.

Note: you can get gift cards on a discount so it's really a way to save, however if you get too many, and they are retailer specific, you could end up with worthless cards
Old 01-19-2019, 11:09 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

I buy iTunes gift cards when Costco or Amazon or someone else has them on sale for a 15+% discount. These give me store credit that pays for my streaming connections like Netflix, music and books. I use a card that has cash rewards - usually 2% but 5% at Amazon. Costco also gives a 2% executive rebate. The discounts add up!
Old 01-20-2019, 02:34 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

I get the Shell gas card at a 20% discount at Publix using a CC with a 3.5% discount.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I think itís very likely that they do. All the credit card company knows is what retailer you bought from, not what you bought. Even Costco gives you the executive rebate for buying gift cards they sell.
This is useful because when I get my annual car maintenance work done (or for any in-between work), I use my CC and it qualifies for the 3% cash-back found in the Gas category. All I see on the bill is the name of the gas company, no different had I bought gas using the card (which I don't do because the cash discount is 10%).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #136
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yes, my thoughts exactly. When I buy Amazon gift cards at Kroger, all that shows up on my credit card statement is the total amount of the Kroger purchase, so the gift cards do seem to count towards the "total spend" amount required to earn CC sign up bonuses. Technically, this is not allowed if you read the fine print of the CC agreement when you sign up, but I don't see how they would know that, say, $100 of a $150 Kroger purchase was for an Amazon gift card. If anyone has evidence to the contrary, though, please share with us!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:49 AM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't most stores charge an additional fee when buying a gift card? If I remember right if I buy a $100. Best Buy Gift card at Safeway they in turn charge me a small service fee so that $100. purchase is actually something like $104. or what ever. Kill's what ever credit card rebate you might be getting.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
Don't most stores charge an additional fee when buying a gift card? If I remember right if I buy a $100. Best Buy Gift card at Safeway they in turn charge me a small service fee so that $100. purchase is actually something like $104. or what ever. Kill's what ever credit card rebate you might be getting.
Not necessarily. I only buy from stores that donít tack on any fees and many donít. And none of the gift cards Iíve bought have ever been subject to sales tax either, as they shouldnít be.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Yes, my thoughts exactly. When I buy Amazon gift cards at Kroger, all that shows up on my credit card statement is the total amount of the Kroger purchase, so the gift cards do seem to count towards the "total spend" amount required to earn CC sign up bonuses. Technically, this is not allowed if you read the fine print of the CC agreement when you sign up, but I don't see how they would know that, say, $100 of a $150 Kroger purchase was for an Amazon gift card. If anyone has evidence to the contrary, though, please share with us!
I agree, itís not enforceable by the CC company.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:13 PM   #140
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
There's an activation fee when you buy a prepaid Visa or AmEx card at Safeway, but I've also bought Amazon and Best Buy cards there and there's no surcharge for those.

Those prepaid Visa/AmEx cards also have monthly fees if you don't use them, so now whenever I get one, I just immediately login to Amazon and use it to reload my Amazon gift card account. That way I get to spend the full amount whenever I'm ready to do so without having to keep track of the balance.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote