Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I ran the Arrival+ application and was turned-down in the online process without a pull on the credit report.

They sent a letter. "...you've already established the maximum allowable number of this product with us."

So I called just now and it sounded like the "no" would stick, but I asked "what if I cancelled the old Arrival card?" At that point, the rep offered to move some of my available credit over from the existing cards (I already had two Barclaycards with a total of $25K credit) to the new Arrival+ card.

So this confirms the idea discussed in various threads, including the available credit percent poll, concerning how one company doesn't want to get too exposed, but each company doesn't care about the others seems to hold.

Anyway, I had them split the credit 6K, 6K, on the two old cards and 13K on the new card. It looks like I should get the card soon and will be able to book the trans-Atlantic business flights pretty soon! And then collect the sign-up bonus.
Each credit card company definitely cares about how much credit they allow a given customer, and moving around the credit limits on various cards is a very standard way they are quite willing to accommodate a customer.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #202
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
There is an excellent alternative to the Chase Sapphire, which I'd highly recommend to anyone looking for a travel rewards card. It's the Barclaycard Arrival+ Mastercard, and it has no annual fee for the first year ($89 thereafter) plus you get 70,000 bonus points—worth $700 in travel credits—if you spend $5,000 in the first three months. This is currently the #1 rated card at doctorofcredit.com, which is my go-to site for credit card recommendations.
Just applied and was approved for the Barclaycard. This is our first ever travel rewards card. The bonus will really pay off for us as we have 3 trips planned this year and a trip to Aruba next year for DW's 60th birthday.

Thank you for your post!
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #203
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
Just applied and was approved for the Barclaycard. This is our first ever travel rewards card. The bonus will really pay off for us as we have 3 trips planned this year and a trip to Aruba next year for DW's 60th birthday.

Thank you for your post!
Have your wife apply for one also....double your bonus!
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #204
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
There is an excellent alternative to the Chase Sapphire, which I'd highly recommend to anyone looking for a travel rewards card. It's the Barclaycard Arrival+ Mastercard, and it has no annual fee for the first year ($89 thereafter) plus you get 70,000 bonus points—worth $700 in travel credits—if you spend $5,000 in the first three months. This is currently the #1 rated card at doctorofcredit.com, which is my go-to site for credit card recommendations.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barcl...al-fee-wavied/
I did have this card, and kept it paying the fee as I booked future trips on it, since it had great travel insurance.
I did end up switching it to a simple arrival card, but misunderstood the person on the phone as to the coverage, so will probably cancel this card.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #205

Hitting the Signup Bonus Level

I'm new to the CC "game", but getting into it (as evidenced by my arguably excess posting on the topic lately).

This is a question about "tricks" to hitting the spending level required to trigger the bonus.

I saw that when spending was a little shy of the trigger amount, people purchased Amazon gift cards, which, for an Amazon shopper, is like money in the bank.

This might have been posted before, but I didn't see it if so, but I wondered about buying a fully refundable airline ticket for a flight scheduled sometime, say 9 months out. You pay the CC bill for the air ticket, say it's $3000 and triggers the bonus. Spend another $500 on "this and that", then apply the bonus. You're at a zero balance now, after two months, and you've collected your bonus. Now you cancel your flight and have a credit balance of $3000. Over the next "unlimited amount of months" you spend that $3000, getting you to a zero balance again. So you basically prepaid your spending on that card, but in so doing, you triggered the bonus early.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to think of this, so I just wondered if those who know more about the game than I do know of any flaws in the scheme. I'm not sure credit card companies would care because you did spend the amount of money required within the time frame, and if you get that money back, you're going to have to re-spend it anyway. Thoughts? Experience? SGOTI Wisdom?
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:59 PM   #206

You'd have the read the very fine print on each bonus offer, but typically this is why they don't pay out for a month or so after the qualifying period.

Most people who can afford to fake a few grand worth of spend, and then further fake by paying for it, before waiting a few months, are going to be able to meet the spend anyway, but I'm sure there are some who do this almost for a living.

That said, a fully refundable airline ticket is the only one way to do it. You could go buy a nice piece of jewelry at Bloomingdales or Nordstrom as they offer returns up to a year.

Your theory on then slowly spending down the refund may not work though, as most banks won't let you hold a credit balance for more than a cycle or so, and will send you a credit balance refund. For the amount you're talking about, it would be auto-issued by most banks, but maybe not all.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:23 PM   #207

Quote:
I'm new to the CC "game", but getting into it (as evidenced by my arguably excess posting on the topic lately).

This is a question about "tricks" to hitting the spending level required to trigger the bonus.

I saw that when spending was a little shy of the trigger amount, people purchased Amazon gift cards, which, for an Amazon shopper, is like money in the bank.

This might have been posted before, but I didn't see it if so, but I wondered about buying a fully refundable airline ticket for a flight scheduled sometime, say 9 months out. You pay the CC bill for the air ticket, say it's $3000 and triggers the bonus. Spend another $500 on "this and that", then apply the bonus. You're at a zero balance now, after two months, and you've collected your bonus. Now you cancel your flight and have a credit balance of $3000. Over the next "unlimited amount of months" you spend that $3000, getting you to a zero balance again. So you basically prepaid your spending on that card, but in so doing, you triggered the bonus early.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to think of this, so I just wondered if those who know more about the game than I do know of any flaws in the scheme. I'm not sure credit card companies would care because you did spend the amount of money required within the time frame, and if you get that money back, you're going to have to re-spend it anyway. Thoughts? Experience? SGOTI Wisdom?
Buying tickets with the intent of never using it and asking for a refund is unethical to me, kind of like buying a huge TV right before the Super Bowl, and then taking it back to the store the next week.

Easy way to meet spending used to be simply buying Visa gift cards at the grocery store or CVS. This time of year, you could pay your taxes with a credit card.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post

Thank you for your post!
You're welcome! Once I realized what a great deal this card could be for many FIREd travel lovers like myself around here, I felt that I had to spread the word. I'm currently working on my $5,000 spend in order to get the 70K signup bonus.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:04 PM   #209

Quote:
This should work perfectly well, as long as your purchase of the cards is not coded by the merchant as "gift cards". Most CC signup bonuses exclude spending on things like gift cards/certificates, although I'm not sure if this is the case with the Arrival+ card. But regardless, an easy way to get around this is to purchase the AMZN gift cards at a grocery store along with your other groceries, and it all just gets lumped together and coded as retail/food/grocery purchase.

Quote:

Hmm.... I'd be careful with this sort of hack. It could work, but I'd imagine that the CC companies are wise to these sorts of schemes and have measures in place to detect them. I believe the fine print does typically state that the spending required to receive the bonus must be net of any refunds received, regardless of when the refund is issued. So in the exact scenario you detailed above, I think what could end up happening is that a $500 charge would show up on your CC bill after you cancel the $3,000 refundable air ticket, since the CC company would (rightly) say that you never actually met the signup bonus spending requirement and therefore you owe them the $500 that you applied the phantom signup bonus to. Of course, this is all speculation on my part, but if I were you, I'd probably stick to buying lots of AMZN gift cards at the grocery store to meet the bonus spend requirement.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:10 PM   #210
Give me a forum ...

One thing would be to pre-pay some bills you have that are payable by credit card.
For example, we pay our water bill by CC, without any special charge, so I could simply pay $1,000 towards our bill, and not have to worry about paying it for the rest of the year.

In some cases it even makes sense to pay a 2% surcharge to meet the limits.
On a $3,000 spend (taxes?) a 2% surcharge is $60.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:11 PM   #211

As for Manufactured Spend...sure, it's a thing. I just don't get into that level. I do prepay for Grocers and Gas Gift cards, only if I am coming up on a quarter where that is not a category between our 3 rewards cards.

Between Discover and our 2 Chase Freedoms...we have usually 3 chances to save $75 in a year...for a total of $225 in savings if we spend $4500 in gas every year (which we do). Same thing for groceries. The category comes up 3x a year, for a total of $225 in savings that we are going to spend money on anyways, just need to know which card to pull. Once the rotating category knowledge is a habit, it's just second nature...set it and forget it.

So do I manufacture my spending for Gas and Groceries...absolutely.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #212
Recycles dryer sheets

Too bad I didn’t see this last week. We are going to Hawaii next year and only American flies out of my small airport. I took the AA card (CitiBank). No fee first year. Spend $3000 within first 3 months and get 50,000 points. Added to the points I already have and I’ll be able to get 2 round trip tickets. I’ve used frequent flier miles when traveling abroad and had the AA card in the past. After the year I’ll cancel it. My go to card is our Fidelity card for the 3% back. That’s the money we’re using to save for expenses on the trip. But the card you mention looks like a smart travel card.
Carol1862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #213
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol1862 View Post
Too bad I didn’t see this last week. We are going to Hawaii next year and only American flies out of my small airport. I took the AA card (CitiBank). No fee first year. Spend $3000 within first 3 months and get 50,000 points. Added to the points I already have and I’ll be able to get 2 round trip tickets. I’ve used frequent flier miles when traveling abroad and had the AA card in the past. After the year I’ll cancel it. My go to card is our Fidelity card for the 3% back. That’s the money we’re using to save for expenses on the trip. But the card you mention looks like a smart travel card.
Don't feel bad, that sounds like a good deal as well, nothing says you can't do the other now that you hit the $3K spending on AA. Although I'd wait for a big expense to kick it off.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
........................... Right now the Discover card features a 5% rebate on grocery purchases. Of course I often hit the $60 "cashback" key at checkout. What a great ATM alternative, getting a $3 rebate instead of getting hit with a $3 surcharge.
Is this for real? Not a cash advance but a "purchase"?
Would it work for other cards , e.g. Chase Freedom, when groceries are
5%?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:26 PM   #215
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
5%?
Interesting.
I will try it out soon for my BOA Cash Rewards CC which gives 3.5% back for groceries, plus saves a trip to the ATM machine.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #216

I used a no fee cash back Visa for the last 9 months, which yielded $600. Unfortunately, it wreaked havoc on my YNAB budgeting so I’m going back to a plain vanilla debit card.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:37 PM   #217
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
I used a no fee cash back Visa for the last 9 months, which yielded $600. Unfortunately, it wreaked havoc on my YNAB budgeting so I’m going back to a plain vanilla debit card.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:51 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
One thing would be to pre-pay some bills you have that are payable by credit card.
For example, we pay our water bill by CC, without any special charge, so I could simply pay $1,000 towards our bill, and not have to worry about paying it for the rest of the year.

In some cases it even makes sense to pay a 2% surcharge to meet the limits.
On a $3,000 spend (taxes?) a 2% surcharge is $60.

Your water must be made of gold it would cover my water bill for about 10 years
badatmath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
5%?

Discover separates out the cash back amount on our statements. We do not get the 5% applied to the "cash advance", but it is also not a true "cash advance" and does not immediately start accruing interest.
N02L84ER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:34 PM   #220
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
Your water must be made of gold it would cover my water bill for about 10 years
Chicago supplies water and needs to replace all the lead pipes as people are complaining So the price of water is high. But $1,000 would cover us for over 1 year.