Cash for Clunker appliances - Texas style

I'm in Iowa and our $2.7 million appliance rebate program started March 1st.

The money was gone in 5 hours!

This article says the state appliance rebates are getting a mixed response, some like Iowa and Minnesota using up the rebate money the first day while others like NY still had money left a month after opening the program. No surprise, the speed the rebates are snatched up is directly proportional to the size of the rebates offered.

Iowa, where the money went very quickly, offered up to $200 for a qualifying central A/C. Texas is offering up to $875 ($1675 for a heat pump system).

I don't expect the TX rebates will last for long. Can you say 'the servers crashed'?

Can you say 'the servers crashed'?

lol - I can for Iowa and the phone system crashed. Iowa also had rebates for refrigerators, dishwashers, window A/C, and washers $100 - $500. Some states only offered rebate money for HVAC.

I have a boiler and a new fridge so I stayed out of the fray :D.

OT: I purchased my new refrigerator and my son left for college last August. My electric bill was cut in half!:eek: I'll be able to tell exactly how much savings was from the fridge when he moves home this summer (I think roughly 25%).

OT: I purchased my new refrigerator and my son left for college last August. My electric bill was cut in half!:eek: I'll be able to tell exactly how much savings was from the fridge when he moves home this summer (I think roughly 25%).

I'd be surprised, unless you use very, very little electricity other than for your refrigerator.

I have one of those Kill-a-Watt meters, and my 17 YO fridge (nothing fancy, not bought a s a super efficient unit at the time, in fact it is a bottom freezer, which people say are less efficient) uses less than $10/month (@ $0.10/KWHr), my 22 YO freezer uses less than $7/month. New units *might* use about half that, but it is half of a fairly small number.

The new fridge should have come with a statement on average costs, and you can probably look up the number for the old one. But I suspect you can thank your son for the savings (or yell at the kid for the waste ;) ), I would not expect much more than a $5/month savings from the fridge. It is tough to tell just from your bill, seasonal variations can be large.

edit/add: I mentioned this for the clunkers, but they should do a reverse auction for these - offer small credits until the actions dries up, then keep raising them each week until the total funds allocated are used up. They would have a slow, controlled flow of money. They would optimize the number of upgrades (which was the point, right?). If a business consistently sold out in hours, they would raise the price of their product. Actually, they shouldn't do these credits at all, but that's another story.

-ERD50

I got an e-mail from the state today, with new details:

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Official Start Time Announced[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The Texas Trade Up Appliance Rebate program officially begins on April 5, 2010, at 7 a.m. CT when rebate reservations will be accepted online through www.TexasPowerfulSmart.org or via phone toll-free at 1-877-780-3039.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Are you ready for the Texas Trade Up Appliance Rebate Program?[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]We have expanded our www.TexasPowerfulSmart.org[/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Web site to add additional Appliance Rebate details related to:[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]We anticipate an extremely high volume of interest in this program, but you can stay up to date on the latest rebate information through our e-mail and mobile alerts. [/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]If you wish to receive mobile alerts, click on “Manage Your Comptroller e-mail subscriptions” at the bottom of this e-mail, and enter your mobile number under the secondary e-mail option. [/FONT]​

Good luck Harry! :)

The Texas website is much easier to navigate than the Iowa website.

I got an email earlier today saying the start date for reserving a rebate for the TX program had been moved from Monday, April 5 to Wednesday, April 7. Seems they received a bunch of complaints about starting it on the Monday after Easter weekend. I guess too many folks will be [-]suffering from hangovers[/-] traveling.

I got an email earlier today saying the start date for reserving a rebate for the TX program had been moved from Monday, April 5 to Wednesday, April 7. Seems they received a bunch of complaints about starting it on the Monday after Easter weekend. I guess too many folks will be suffering from hangovers traveling.

I got same email and other than reading about it here on the forum I haven't seen much in the way of advertising. Seems like Sears, Lowes and Home Depot would be all over this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen much in the way of advertising. Seems like Sears, Lowes and Home Depot would be all over this.
I suspect it's because the rebates are only good if you purchase a qualifying appliance between April 16 - 25. Advertising the upcoming rebates at this point might discourage someone from purchasing now, hurting or at least delaying sales revenue.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the above companies tie sales and ad campaigns to the rebate program once the purchase period arrives.

Can you say 'the servers crashed'?

No but I can say "page won't load".

The window just opened a little while ago. I've been clicking and dialing for 15 minutes. Clicking on the RESERVE REBATE button will only get you a "The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded." message. Dialing the toll-free number gets a busy signal.

This feels like a j*b.

1 hour update:

I briefly got excited when I got an "all circuits are busy" message instead of a busy signal.

I opened three browsers. The banner on the page says "We are experiencing unprecedented traffic. Phones may be temporarily unavailable. Please keep trying online."

One of the three eventually loaded up a Choose Your Rebate page. But hot water heaters was not one of the choices. Grrrr.

It doesn't appear to be going well down in Austin. The banner on the second page says they have given only 1% of the reservations.

Last edited:
Same here. A couple minutes to 7 it died. And endless busy signals. So much for that.

I got as far as a web page that said 1% of the rebates were reserved but after that the site crashes. I wonder if traffic will die down later today but before the money is gone?

Go to go hit refresh.

:greetings10:

I'm on vacation (staycation) this week and woke up thinking about the Texas rebate. I'll be checking in all day to see if you get the rebate [fingers crossed].

I will give the state high marks in one respect. It is extremely convenient that they provided the name of the responsible elected official so prominently on their web site. :mad:

Twice (only) I've made it to the page with the blue boxes to choose your appliance. I saw hot water heater listed. But each time I clicked on my choice, refrig, the next https link is loading, loading... forever.

At about 9AM the last blue box page said 3% were reserved.

DW told me a couple days ago that a recent sears 15% off appliance sale brought the one we were looking at into roughly the same $ range as the rebate, not including the recycle $ rebate (which I don't know if we could get the required documentation anyway). Maybe I'm better off just waiting for the next sale, which may be after all the rebate stuff is over and the sales people's tongues are hanging out, not a customer in sight. That worked good for us in Oct., weeks after the cash for clunkers car hysteria was all over.

The increasing lead time for some appliances due to mfg. backlog caused by these programs all over the country may end up in some people buying a new appliance for near-list price, then run out of the 60 days from time of rebate reservation to actually get the appliance. Which means the rebate will time out... congrats, you just bought it at list price! Thank you, come again.

DW told me a couple days ago that a recent sears 15% off appliance sale brought the one we were looking at into roughly the same $ range as the rebate, not including the recycle $ rebate (which I don't know if we could get the required documentation anyway). Maybe I'm better off just waiting for the next sale, which may be after all the rebate stuff is over and the sales people's tongues are hanging out, not a customer in sight. That worked good for us in Oct., weeks after the cash for clunkers car hysteria was all over.

The increasing lead time for some appliances due to mfg. backlog caused by these programs all over the country may end up in some people buying a new appliance for near-list price, then run out of the 60 days from time of rebate reservation to actually get the appliance. Which means the rebate will time out... congrats, you just bought it at list price! Thank you, come again.

Thanks for the tip Telly. I went to the Lowes website and found a front load washer for 25% off. That's about what I would save using the rebate. Now if I can get the recycle rebate for the old one that would be great.

Now I'm really getting annoyed...

I tried again during my lunch hour. After many false starts, I made it through to the Choose your Rebate page.

The scoreboard says 56% of the money is gone at midday.

Once there, multiple no-action clicks on hot water heaters finally led to a 10-minute load of the next page: the sign up!

I entered my name and address and the "copy these words" codes, then hit NEXT. Nothing. 30 minutes later, after some more page time outs, bad page loads, retyping my data and other missteps, I gave up.

The salt in my wound - which I noticed because I had so long to read the terms and conditions between page loads - you can only buy the appliance in Texas. No online appliance purchases are allowed. Looks like the state has rigged the rules to be sure they get every penny of sales tax.

Well that was a big waste! Wasted the morning, could never get beyond the choose your appliance page. Then tried again right after an early lunch, then they were showing the temporarily unavailable page with how many hits per minute they were getting. So I gave up.

About 4 PM I tried it, was quicker, all $ gone, only signup for waitlist. So I tried that, actually got eventually to the sign-up page, which after filling it all out, bombed for the registering of it, but using back on the browser saved it for retries. Printed all 4 pages of it out.

Then realized that the wait-list is worthless, if I am understanding it right, am held to all the same dates as if I got the real one, but I would only find out if I got a rebate by them mailing me, or not mailing me, a check. Well, I'm not going to buy something in a tight time window if I don't know if I will get the rebate or not!

So much for that. Back to plan B, wait a few months till they restock and have no one buying appliances in Texas, then I'll deal.

I sure hope somebody on this website was able to get something out of it, that it's not all just state employees who were able to get the rebate registration.

I wonder how REW fared... wasn't he trying to get the big rebate for a heat pump replacement?

No dice. Big waste of time. Next!

Just finished reading through the Austin paper's wrap-up on the debacle. The servers were off-line for about two hours during the middle of the morning rush.

Texas outsourced the sign-up effort to an outfit called Helgeson Enterprises.

Googling the firm name led me to this copy of their qualifications statement and proposal for West Virginia:
http://www.state.wv.us/admin/purchase/bids/FY2010/B_DEP14971_2.pdf

The proposal lists all of the energy rebate contracts they have won so far. If you live in one of these states, I would suggest keeping your expectations low:
GA, IA, CO, AL, MN, MI, KY, NV, TX, MS, AZ, RI, NC

Harry - Sounds just like the Iowa rebate program!

I was looking to see if there were any lawn mower sales yesterday and there was this thread on Slickdeals.about the Texas rebates.

Arif - The best prices on washer/dryers are in Oct/Nov. Right now Home Depot has online codes out for bath that you can combine with sale prices. Don't forget that HD, Lowes, Best Buy and Sears all price match also.

I wonder how REW fared... wasn't he trying to get the big rebate for a heat pump replacement?
Thanks for asking. Yep, I was trying to get a heat pump rebate for my sister-in-law.

I was on a cruise last week (still on board waiting to go thru cusoms) and missed all the fun. Fortunately my SIL's niece had the perseverance to stay keep calling all morning until finally getting through and securing the rebate for her aunt.

DD's #1 & 2 had no better luck than you in getting rebates for a refrigerator and washer. I suspected it would be a cluster...er, mess, and the state govt. didn't disappoint. :(

Thanks for tip Tinlizzy. We can wait a few more months for the washer since it's already 13 years old!

Looking back at the fiasco known as the Texas Rebate cluster!@@$. I think I would of had a better chance of securing a rebate by calling in. On the website many people here were able to get to the webpage to select the category that they were interested in. After that is was a crap shoot if you got to the next webpage. You lost your spot in line after the website timed-out and had to start all over again.

At least on the phone (I think)you were in a cue once you got through and didn't lose your spot as you did going from screen to screen on the website. The website should of had one webpage were you selected the appliance, entered your personal info and selected go. That way you didn't lose your info and your position in "line" jumping from page to page.

Now how did the company in charge of this rebate program not figure that out after the first program they ran? And why didn't the state of Texas not call other states to see how thing company fared prior to signing them up? I know I know, lowest bidder.

Back
Top Bottom