Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I made a few interim payments for a DD's wedding in cash to the venue. Nothing larger then a 1000 dollars..They would print a receipt and do a photocopy with the money visible on the receipt. I would get the original and also the photocopy. they kept a photocopy for their records too.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
I would be concerned that there is no record of how much you paid. What if the venue later claims you did not pay, or they dispute the amount that you paid? How would you prove that you gave them $15,000 in cash and not $14,000 or some other amount? A receipt is good, but not good enough for me, I want direct proof of the amount of money that was transferred from my bank account to theirs. I would be willing to give them a check in exchange for a discount, but not cash.
In my mind the matter is settled.....it's either going to be a check or credit card.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #23

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
And a pro-tip for photographers. I feel like there should be a clause that all photographers get half down and final payment upon edited photos delivered.
Very few will do that because they have too many unpaid-for wedding photos. The wedding participants all want the finished photos yesterday but all too often the photographer is last in line to get paid, if ever. If they send out a finished product their recourse if not paid is is to sue, which may be extremely difficult/expensive or even impossible in another country. Therefore any reputable photographer will not accept even partial payment before sending out the finished photos.

I agree that taking a year to give you an unfinished product cannot be justified (unless he got run over by a beer truck and was in the hospital). Your best bet is to go with an established photography business with at least several photographers and a studio that is highly dependent on repeat business. Yes it will be more costly than an individual working out of a home office but one is far more likely to get what one paid for without any hassle. But for a one-off that probably cannot be redone it is probably worth the money if one can afford it.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #25

I always have to laugh at stories like these. When we got married, the contracted photographer canceled a few days before the wedding. The husband of the maid of honor volunteered to take the photos, and DW didn't have the heart to refuse him.

We got a bunch of crappy snapshots, half of which included the camera strap that hung over the lens.

Oh well, I guess we saved some money.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
In my mind the matter is settled.....it's either going to be a check or credit card.
Let us know if by cash he meant check, or if he was up to something shady.
GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:31 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Let us know if by cash he meant check, or if he was up to something shady.
Actually I was the one that brought cold hard cash and he said he would give a 5% discount. But since I have read about and heard from you all here about the complexities of cash I have now since decided a check or charge. Maybe he will give me a smaller discount to save on cc charges. But yes I will let you know how it goes.