Join Early Retirement Today

CCRC fees paid with tIRA Assets
Old 02-03-2022, 07:59 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
CCRC fees paid with tIRA Assets

I had been planning to use HSA savings to pay at least the first year's fees for moving to a CCRC. But I've recently learned that 30 - 40% of the fees is a deductible expense if paid from a tIRA. I have a lot more in that account than I do in my HSA. So it seems I should use the HSA funds for eligible medical expenses instead. Anybody have experience with this? Do I have the strategy right?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2022, 10:39 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Only part of your CCRC fees is attributable to medical expenses. You can either deduct part of that amount on Schedule A (the part that exceeds 7.5% of income) or you can reimburse yourself for the entire amount from your HSA tax free.

If you take the room and board expenses from the HSA, that's a taxable distribution and you have to add it to your income. (Unless you have saved medical receipts from prior years and are actually reimbursing yourself for those expenses.)

We can't tell you what's the best option without knowing how much other income you have and how that's taxed, and how much the CCRC medical fees are. You can do your return both ways and then choose. Or this might be a good year to consult with a tax professional.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:27 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
How much are the fees for moving into the CCRC for the first year ?

I would tend to want to use my IRA funds, as the HSA will get to be used for various medical expense reimbursement.
I'm guessing that fees for medicare and a supplemental insurance plus expenses all apply, plus a portion of the yearly CCRC fee every year.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:04 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1955 View Post
I had been planning to use HSA savings to pay at least the first year's fees for moving to a CCRC. But I've recently learned that 30 - 40% of the fees is a deductible expense if paid from a tIRA. I have a lot more in that account than I do in my HSA. So it seems I should use the HSA funds for eligible medical expenses instead. Anybody have experience with this? Do I have the strategy right?
Do you have eligible unreimbursed medical expenses from the past that could be used to make tax free withdrawals from the HSA? If you can use all the funds in the HSA without including the CCRC, it would make sense to use the CCRC deduction to offset tIRA income.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:45 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Do you have eligible unreimbursed medical expenses from the past that could be used to make tax free withdrawals from the HSA? If you can use all the funds in the HSA without including the CCRC, it would make sense to use the CCRC deduction to offset tIRA income.
Thanks to all for your replies. This is the response that best matches my situation. I have ~$2M in my tIRA and $45K in my HSA. 1st yr entry fee will be upwards of $600K + $80K specific to continuing care (in 2025 or 2026). I was told approx 30-40% of monthly fees after the first year will be designated medically deductible.We don't have a lot of medical expenditures now and can't itemize deductions. So my thought is to use the HSA for the medical expenses we do have for the next few years and reinvest the money in taxable savings if I don't really need it. (Taxable investments are less than I would like.)

Tags
ccrc, hsa, tira