CD Interest Payments

Drake3287

Full time employment: Posting here.
I thought of this yesterday after walking out of my bank while reinvesting a CD. It used to be (year's ago) that banks and S&L gave you the option of having the monthly interest paid out by check or possibly into a second account such as a checking.

Do banks still offer paying monthly interest in cash (check, etc) each month or is it only available by reinvesting now? Been years since I've had them cut me a monthly check.

Penn Federal is sending a monthly check. Just opened 5 year cd at 3.5

I thought of this yesterday after walking out of my bank while reinvesting a CD. It used to be (year's ago) that banks and S&L gave you the option of having the monthly interest paid out by check or possibly into a second account such as a checking.

Do banks still offer paying monthly interest in cash (check, etc) each month or is it only available by reinvesting now? Been years since I've had them cut me a monthly check.

Most banks and credit unions I deal with give you the option of receiving the interest monthly/quarterly instead of reinvesting it in the CD.

I have CDs with three online banks and four local banks and they electronically send the interest to an account of my choice each month without fee.

Penn Federal is sending a monthly check. Just opened 5 year cd at 3.5
Unless you have a special circumstance, the rate is down to 3.35%APY since the 18th.

In the case of brokered CDs, I think you cannot reinvest the interest in the CD.

Brokered cd interest cannot be reinvested. Also, to get the actual APY% advertised (as opposed to the APR), you must reinvest - as I believe that the advertised yield is only obtained by compound interest.

Brokered cd interest cannot be reinvested. Also, to get the actual APY% advertised (as opposed to the APR), you must reinvest - as I believe that the advertised yield is only obtained by compound interest.

Good point about not getting the full advertised CD rate if you don’t reinvest the interest payments back into the CD.

Thanks for the responses, it looks like I'll have to look into getting the interest payment directly. Having a few high balance CD's I don't really need to be investing anymore cash.

Time to take the money and enjoy it.

Good point about not getting the full advertised CD rate if you don’t reinvest the interest payments back into the CD.

This is BS. Brokered CDs give the promised yield. They never advertise APY. The assumption is that the purchaser is sophisticated enough to understand the difference.

In a rising rate environment, this is to the purchasers advantage. We've been in such an environment for over a year. We may still be. It's too early to tell.

My brokered CD’s with Fidelity are reinvested.
Just opened one with Ally and they asked me which I prefer.

This is BS. Brokered CDs give the promised yield. They never advertise APY. The assumption is that the purchaser is sophisticated enough to understand the difference.

I was talking about CDs advertised by a bank/credit union. Drake’s question directly asked about that case.

Last edited:
My brokered CD’s with Fidelity are reinvested.
Just opened one with Ally and they asked me which I prefer.

Are these Fidelity CD's reinvested into the CD or elsewhere? Which bank is actually issuing the CD?

I haven't actually bought any brokered CDs and Im trying to learn as much as I can about them including pros and cons of monthly vs. semi-annual interest payments.

Brokered CDs do not automatically reinvest interest payments back into the same CD.

Fidelity will automatically reinvest the entire CD once it matures if you sign up for their autoroll program.

So you choose an account to accumulate the interest payments until maturity?

I was talking about CDs advertised by a bank/credit union. Drake’s question directly asked about that case.

Correct. In my case all CD's or MM are with a B&M bank or online bank. It's funny, years ago I remember banks always asking me how I wished the interest to be paid. At some point it just started to automatically be reinvested.

Just this week when I reinvested a large CD the bank never mentioned interest payments like they use to.

With brokered CDs at Schwab or Fidelity, my interest payments are deposited in the default cash component (Schwab) or core fund (Fidelity) of the brokerage account.

Yes, at PenFed and Ally I believe they let you choose any local checking or savings account plus any external account you have linked.

Some institutions will also mail you a check, I think maybe Ally and PenFed also give this option. I shudder at the thought of receiving checks in the mail, so I never considered this option.

Last edited:
Yes, at PenFed and Ally I believe they let you choose any local checking or savings account plus any external account you have linked.

Some institutions will also mail you a check, I think maybe Ally and PenFed also give this option. I shudder at the thought of receiving checks in the mail, so I never considered this option.

I’m familiar with Penfed and Ally. Those interest payments can be reinvested into the same CD and compound at the same rate. I was asking about brokered CDs which cannot be reinvested back into the same CD. No compounding. That could be good or bad depending on how rates are moving.

Last year I set up a five year CD at my local bank that quarterly pays the interest directly into my checking account.

Back
Top Bottom