Join Early Retirement Today

CD Ladder vs. MM
Old 05-12-2006, 08:18 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

CD Ladder vs. MM

I have read here about using a CD ladder to invest money you plan to slow feed into your income stream or just set aside as a emergency fund. What are the advantages to this approach as opposed to simply using Vanguard Prime MM or a similar fund? Thanks in advance.

setab
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: CD Ladder vs. MM
Old 05-12-2006, 08:25 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you use a MM, you get more liquidity. If you use a CD ladder you potentiall get more interest, but it depends on what short term rates do during the term of the CDs. Its probably a wash, realistically.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:27 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi,

Well, the idea is to lock in the higher rates associated with longer term CDs, but giving you flexibility by laddering them, so some of your money will be liquid every year.

However, with the way rates are right now, you don't get much extra interest from a 5 year CD over what you can get at ING or similar high-interest savings accounts, so I think some of the "benefit" is not that strong right now.

Also, CDs issued by a bank are FDIC-insured, whereas MMs or other such accounts may not be, depending on where they are housed. *

I'm sure someone here can come up with a much more intelligent answer, but it's a start...

Karen *
Old 05-12-2006, 08:59 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Wouldn't another factor be that you can lose money in a MM acount (at least that is my impression) where the CD principal and interest is secure? This would be something a bit different from the FDIC insurance issue.

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Michael
Wouldn't another factor be that you can lose money in a MM acount (at least that is my impression) where the CD principal and interest* is secure?* This would be something a bit different from the FDIC insurance issue.

cheers,
Michael
In theory, you can lose money in an MMA. In practice, on the rare historical occasion this has happened, I believe the fund sponsor has made it up. I would imagine that VG, Fido, Schwab, etc. would almost certainly do so.

Oh, and pick your bank for CDs carefully. Principal (not interest) is guaranteed by the FBIC, but it can be a long, painful process to get your money back. Its a lot simpler to just pick a solid bank in the first place.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:45 AM   #6

I got a large chunk of money after the sale of my house and I am still hedging where to invest it. So right now beside the MM 4.5% accounts for total liquidity, I am purchasing over the next 6 weeks 4 week bills online through Treasury Direct. I am squeezing another .25% plus state tax free interest. It's liquid enough for me until I can make so better investment decisions.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #7

early retired before my time (really can't afford it before inheritance that is likely months away), i felt the need to keep enough money extremely safe and very liquid to hold me a few years if required.

just yesterday i purchased what i thought looked like a nice product through bank. a 24-month step rate ira. (yes, i'm taking 10% penalties on early withdrawal but based on the level of misery at a job gone bad it's still a favorable quotient.)

(annual % rate/effective on day) 4.5/1; 4.76/183; 5.02/366; 5.28/548 for a blended rate of 4.89.

i don't expect to need this money at all for now, but just in case, i can withdraw without bank penalty any amount minus $1,000 on three specific days between now and may 2008.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote