Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-27-2020, 04:55 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been on Republic Wireless for about 2.5 years. It worked well from Ohio to Arkansas to Pennsylvania, and continues to work well. Including tax, I pay about $23/month for unlimited talk + text, and 1 GB of cellular data.

You should check the coverage maps before doing any switching, but I would recommend Republic. If you have wi-fi at home, you'll probably use very little cell data.
ZachTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

We don't use our cell phones very much, and because of our location we get NO cell signal at our house, not from any carrier.
We use Tracfone, paid on sale $30 for a year of service and 1500 min/1500 text/ 1.5GB data. Bought 3 of them for each phone, so 3 years of service for under $100 per phone.

At the house we have AT&T U-verse bundled TV, internet, landline phone (voip thru Uverse). The phone costs us $48/month.
We are in the process of switching to voip.ms for the landline phone, A voip provided that will cost us about $3/mo. Only had to buy an OBI200 for $40 (Amazon on sale), one-time purchase.

No cable or fiber in our area, not yet. it's all DSL. Max internet speed is 25Mbps.
But there are crews on the major roads laying orange cables, so we're hoping that they are laying fiber.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Cricket: ATT Pipes Minus the Cost
Old 11-27-2020, 05:35 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Cricket: ATT Pipes Minus the Cost

I love Cricket prepaid wireless. Same towers & data connectivity with far less cost & headaches.

Don
ddoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:40 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I used ATT for years for the international coverage since I traveled worldwide. A few years before I retired the company migrated to TMobile. I currently used the military rate since I need three lines/phones. The senior plan limits you to two lines.

We still travel internationally regularly (Pre and post COVID) for fun. Free international data is great and I upped the service to the Plus account which gives us faster data (needed for translate and some mapping). Calls when needed are reasonable, I also use a VoIP with the phone data when needed for long calls.

The Netflix subscription is a real plus for the wife and I moved that to the 4K version.

In flight WiFi is no cost with the plus account in the Delta/GOGO system. The is is mostly worldwide in their network.

Phones switch to WiFi when available in hotel or home network.

The negatives. 1. minimal coverage at my house 2. switching between towers while driving drops calls. 3. The overall national coverage doesnít seem to be as good as ATT network.

BUT, for a total of $105/ month for three phones with unlimited everything as well as option to use the phone as a hotspot. It is the best value I have found.

If you donít travel, only need two phones, donít use a smart phone , you may find lower prices, but lots of the others have some hidden charges.
Global Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:37 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
With more alternatives to services, competition increasing, I'm thinking unbundling is the way to go. I have Consumer Cellular for unlimited voice and text and 2gb data for 35/month. Very happy with service, and thinking time to cut cable cord, too, as I still have that bundled with internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FroogalStoodent View Post
I've been on Republic Wireless for about 2.5 years. It worked well from Ohio to Arkansas to Pennsylvania, and continues to work well. Including tax, I pay about $23/month for unlimited talk + text, and 1 GB of cellular data.

You should check the coverage maps before doing any switching, but I would recommend Republic. If you have wi-fi at home, you'll probably use very little cell data.
Check our airvoicewireless, an AT&T MVNO... unlimited talk and text, 3GB data (1.5 GB high speed and 1.5 GB reduced speed) for $18/month on autopay. DW and I have used them for years... good service including good customer service and the AT&T network.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:40 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
That sounds like a lot! I pay $180 to Verizon for 5 unlimited lines, including charges for handsets!
How do you get 5 lines with Verizon wireless for $180?
That's great!

DW and I have 2 lines with Verizon and unlimited data for $191.
FIREarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:11 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Tello for two lines totaling $12/mo. The Verizon FIOS internet is $45/mo. I work from home and have my company pay for both of them so I don't have expenses for any of my communication needs. With google voice and being home all the time I hardly use the cellular (voice and data) but I still need them for emergency events.
teetee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #48

I use Straight Talk unlimited $45 per month.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:15 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetee View Post
I use Tello for two lines totaling $12/mo. The Verizon FIOS internet is $45/mo. I work from home and have my company pay for both of them so I don't have expenses for any of my communication needs. With google voice and being home all the time I hardly use the cellular (voice and data) but I still need them for emergency events.
That Tello has really good rates... unfortunately "This zip code is not on our coverage map yet."

Old 11-28-2020, 04:02 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Tello (Sprint) is in process of moving all customers over from Sprint 3G CDMA to T-Mobile 4G/5G LTE service as part of the merger. You may want to check them after the first of the year if still interested, coverage may be available then. Been with them since 2017 and their customer service is great as well as super low pricing which we've been told we will be allowed to keep.
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:39 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the idea... but the subject area is very rural and the only good cellphone at my house is AT&T. Verizon is spotty... just out of range... we had Verizon when we moved there and switched. And Sprint is pretty much nonexistent but I just checked T-Mobile's map and I'm surprised... according to the coverage map it might be a possibility.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:02 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Thanks for the idea... but the subject area is very rural and the only good cellphone at my house is AT&T. Verizon is spotty... just out of range... we had Verizon when we moved there and switched. And Sprint is pretty much nonexistent but I just checked T-Mobile's map and I'm surprised... according to the coverage map it might be a possibility.
Buy a SIM card and test t mobile first. The map showed decent 4g coverage in our area, with a few black areas, but when I tested the coverage it just wasnít useable. We could get away with wifi calling inside, but just going on a walk through the neighborhood and having coverage would have been problematic.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote