Join Early Retirement Today

Chalk one up for Indexing
Old 01-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Chalk one up for Indexing

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuot...3220344_newsml

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Chalk one up for Indexing
Old 01-23-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Ahhh - the last THREE years. Well, if 2001 and 2002 had been included I'm not sure index funds would have looked so hot. Certainly not the larger-cap ones....

It's be EASY to beat the S&P500 the last few years. I'm almost getting used to it.

It seems that since 1999 has not been so great for owning an S&P500 index fund. My experience has been that many managed funds have easily beaten it.

Audrey
Old 01-23-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Well - there may have been a few years since 1966 when I have beaten 'index funds' - but overall including all years no.

Heh, heh heh - notice that Bogle didn't roll out the first one till 1976??

Won a few years by forfeit - heh, heh.

Even with a ten year head start - I didn't.

But I'm* sure some have(Buffett?) - but they have never sent me a cut to console me.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Ahhh - the last THREE years. Well, if 2001 and 2002 had been included I'm not sure index funds would have looked so hot. Certainly not the larger-cap ones....
From the article:

"Similarly, over the past five years, the [S&P 500, S&P MidCap 400, S&P SmallCap 600] outperformed 65.4 percent of large-cap funds, 81.3 percent of mid-cap funds and 72.4 percent of small-cap funds, [respectively]"

Not surprising given their cost advantages. Of course, if you compare small-cap active funds to large-cap index funds, you're comparing apples and oranges.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Oh well, I guess since many of my mutual funds beat the S&P500 index funds over those time periods, I guess that seemed like lots of funds to me.

Gosh - the S&P500 was only up 3% last year.* Many of my mutual funds did 3x that. Some even better than 3x.* Only one did worse than 3%.

I guess the "statistics" never jibe with my personal experience.* And that's been going on for 6 years now. I guess there are a whole lot of really dog funds with high expenses out there that provide such poor comparisons.

I would not have expected to beat the S&P500 in the 90s.* It was smokin'.* 2000s have been a whole 'nother story.

The S&P500 as an index never made any sense to me.* It's cap-weighted, and the change it at least once a year to let the "sexy" companies in and boot the "boring" companies out.* Sounds like a recipe for buy-high and sell-low to me.

Audrey
Old 01-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Of course, if you compare small-cap active funds to large-cap index funds, you're comparing apples and oranges.
Seems like a lot of them do this for as a marketing scheme.