Join Early Retirement Today

Changed RMD Tables for 2022
Old 12-27-2021, 08:13 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I handle the RMD's for my 89 year old mother who is still as sharp as a tack. About 60% of her NW is in a tIRA so her distributions are relatively substantial. She always wants to take the RMD in full in January. Her money her choice. In any event I just looked at the RMD tables for 2022 in preparation of effectuating some sales to make the distribution next month.

FYI: I didn't realize that the Tables were revised for 2022 to reflect the Secure Act and revised mortality tables. The result is that her RMD for 2022 was about 20% less than the RMD for 2021. This was good news for her.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2021, 08:48 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been doing the same exercise for my DM.

Here's a great side-by-side table of old versus new RMDs, from Kitces:

https://www.kitces.com/current-vs-ne...count-balance/

I'm not sure how your mom's RMD dropped 20%, the tables didn't go down nearly that much (2nd to last column). If your mom was 88 this year her RMD factor was 12.7 on the old table, and at 89 next year it is almost the same at 12.9 on the new table (instead of 12.0).

Most ages are a 6-8% drop, and even less year-over-year as you age.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 10:25 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

This was very helpful. For some reason I was using the wrong factors from the IRS table and have changed to go along with this. For some reason what I had was 15.6 factor the first year instead of the 27.4 here. Continuing to learn and update my plans

The linked article shows starting this at 72 instead of 70 below
https://thefinancebuff.com/new-rmd-tables-2022.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RMD Table.jpg (311.6 KB, 135 views)
Old 12-27-2021, 11:01 AM   #4

Someone want to explain the rules for inherited IRA's inherited under the old rules? 2007 DOD in this case... Less is better, if possible!
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 11:04 AM   #5

IRAs inherited under the old rules continue to use the old rules.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Probably why it wasn't on my radar... Thanks!
Old 12-27-2021, 11:33 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
They use the old rules but the new tables.

There is a moderately complicated calculation to do in order to switch from the old tables to the new tables. See the "One Time Reset" section of this article for example: https://thefinancebuff.com/new-rmd-tables-2022.html. The only quibble I have with that article is they use the word "allow" where I think they should use "require". I believe switching to the new tables is mandatory.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 11:49 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
They use the old rules but the new tables.

There is a moderately complicated calculation to do in order to switch from the old tables to the new tables. See the "One Time Reset" section of this article for example: https://thefinancebuff.com/new-rmd-tables-2022.html. The only quibble I have with that article is they use the word "allow" where I think they should use "require". I believe switching to the new tables is mandatory.
You are allowed to continue with reducing the old distribution period by 1, which will cause you to take out more than 2022 reset would require. The M is Minimum that is Required to Distribute - they allow you take more than the RMD. But if you want to reduce your tax bill and don't need the cash, reset.
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 11:53 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
You are allowed to continue with reducing the old distribution period by 1, which will cause you to take out more than 2022 reset would require. The M is Minimum that is Required to Distribute - they allow you take more than the RMD. But if you want to reduce your tax bill and don't need the cash, reset.
Of course.

ETA: Of course, if the person wanted the absolute lowest RMD in a future year, at some point they'd need to go through the calculation to switch over to the new tables. For inherited IRAs you can't just switch to the new divisor in the new table.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 12-27-2021, 12:39 PM   #10

I made the calculation. It reduces the RMD by a decent amount. In a week, we will see if Fidelity agrees...
Old 12-27-2021, 03:50 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Of course.

ETA: Of course, if the person wanted the absolute lowest RMD in a future year, at some point they'd need to go through the calculation to switch over to the new tables. For inherited IRAs you can't just switch to the new divisor in the new table.
How I read the reset requirement it is a one time decision that happens in 2022. However you calculate 2022 RMDs, you then have to subtract 1 from the number used in 2022 for each future year.
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:06 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
I made the calculation. It reduces the RMD by a decent amount. In a week, we will see if Fidelity agrees...

I take the RMD for a pre-Secure Act inherited IRA early in the year and it has been posted to my Fidelity account. Looks like Fidelity agrees to me.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 02:53 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Simple as it should be, I'm still glad Megacorp/401(k) company does my one and only calculation for me. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:28 AM   #14

FYI, for anyone using Fidelity, I just checked, and while they link to the old tables in a couple of places, when I checked my actual scheduled RMDs that I set up with Fidelity when I inherited my (pre-SECURE Act) IRAs, the factor was from the new tables.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:04 AM   #15

My husband did a partial RMD yesterday from Fidelity and their calculated amount was using the new table.
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:28 AM   #16

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Fidelity applied the new table. Technically you have a choice, but Fido assumed everyone would prefer the option to delay liquidation and take more if they chose to do so.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:27 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard used the new tables on my Dad's IRA.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:08 PM   #18

DM has one tIRA of her own and one inherited.

Her own RMD was a simple switch to the new table.

Her inherited tIRA was scheduled to have a divisor of 0.7 by the old table for 2022, emptying it. For the new table, I substituted the new divisor for the year she started taking RMD's from the account, using her age at the time. My spreadsheet did all the minus 1's and updated the 2022 divisor to 1.1. So we don't have to empty the account this year, but there'll be just a drip left for 2023.

That all made sense to me, and the final result agreed with Fidelity's RMD calculations for both accounts.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:17 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

My (snake-bit) friend has had an inherited IRA which I help him manage since late 2012, when his remaining parent passed away. The divisor in his RMD calculation has been dropping by one each year, as expected, usually raising his RMD unless its year-end balance dropped by a lot like what happened in late 2018.

But for 2022, with the change in the tables, the divisor went up by 2 (years), lowering his 2022 RMD by about $300. This will be useful in the next few years because it will allow the cash-generating portion of the IRA to continue generating enough cash to pay the RMD without having to sell anything. I set up this auto-pilot feature to make managing his IRA a little easier for me (and he is fine with that).

He doesn't need the RMD to help pay his bills because he still works full-time (he is 58). We use it, instead, to pay some income taxes via 1099R withholding. This keeps his April tax bill down and assures him of avoiding any chance of underwithholding. It's all seamless and transparent, which he likes.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:09 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I just wish the IRS would make it simple. All their charts are so confusing.

For my first RMD at age 72, what percentage of my 12/31/2021 IRA Rollover balance to I need to withdraw in 2022?

Now I need to project my income for 2022 in order to setup future tax withdrawal amounts. Obviously, I'll be kicked up a notch or two in tax liabilities.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote