Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Changing Spouse's SS to Spousal Benefit
Old 12-14-2022, 10:34 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
Changing Spouse's SS to Spousal Benefit

I am 67 and 7 months old. My spouse is 77 and 1 month old. She took SS at 64 before we were able to marry. Her benefit would be larger as a spousal benefit than it is under her own record. I am considering applying for my SS next year probably at age 68. How do we go about changing her benefit to spousal? Can you point me in the direction of the info on the .gov site? Should I arrange a meeting to discuss with a SS rep?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2022, 12:11 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Spouse can't get spousal based on your PIA until you file for your benefits (unless there are age/birth year windows that are available to you that don't apply to me).
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 01:51 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would call them and do it over the phone. You should be able to do both on a single phone call. First yours, then hers.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 03:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I would call them and do it over the phone. You should be able to do both on a single phone call. First yours, then hers.
Yes, I've found the phone reps are great. You can both be on the same call and get everything set. You may need to make an appointment for them to call you, but if so they certainly will call, and on time too!
Old 12-16-2022, 08:47 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
Thanks for the assistance. I will call on the phone when the time is right!!

Tags
spousal benefit