Chartbook on retirement inequality

Big_Hitter

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The State of American Retirement: How 401(k)s have failed most American workers | Economic Policy Institute

"Today, many Americans rely on savings in 401(k)-type accounts to supplement Social Security in retirement. This is a pronounced shift from a few decades ago, when many retirees could count on predictable, constant streams of income from traditional pensions (see “Types of retirement plans,” below). This chartbook assesses the impact of the shift from pensions to individual savings by examining disparities in retirement preparedness and outcomes by income, race, ethnicity, education, gender, and marital status."

This article can be summarized to the following:

Some workers are able to save, some are not. The ones who do not save are worse off than the ones who do.

Some workers are able to save, some are not. The ones who do not save are worse off than the ones who do.

LBYM comes down to two primary elements - enough means to live below them, and the self discipline to delay gratification. Those people who are not prepared for retirement include some who genuinely did not make enough to save, but also some who made enough but would not resist the urge to spend it all.

I'd add that too many people who are now in charge of their own retirement savings don't understand investing so they follow unscrupulous advice, they aren't aggressive enough, they're too aggressive or they panic and sell out at the bottom.

Thank you for saving me the time.

I'd add that too many people who are now in charge of their own retirement savings don't understand investing so they follow unscrupulous advice, they aren't aggressive enough, they're too aggressive or they panic and sell out at the bottom.

Or put simply, the 401k did not fail, but the financial education process did fail.

The solution to all this inequality seems obvious.

They forgot to save, but they'll get it from you.

- Problem solved

I believe in Binary Economics, and The Capital Homestead Act, but don't expect it to happen in my lifetime.

Profit Sharing worked, until...:(

Back
Top Bottom