Join Early Retirement Today

Cheap Car Lease
Old 05-12-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cheap Car Lease

DW and I have a relative who needs (unfortunately) our help. Trying to get his life back together, has work, but no reliable car.

I want to get him into the cheapest leased new car I can. He has no wife, no kids, lives in a decent sized city. He needs wheels that will be reliable. No frills.

I don't want to get him into a used car because he can't afford repairs.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2018, 05:49 PM   #2

Any lease will be at least $200 a month, x36 = 7200 (plus at least a G down if not more). Find a 7 year old honda civic from a reputable dealer, and I'm sure that will be cheaper over a 3 year period, with virtually no need for repair, and chances are it will last way more than 3 years.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Any lease will be at least $200 a month, x36 = 7200 (plus at least a G down if not more). Find a 7 year old honda civic from a reputable dealer, and I'm sure that will be cheaper over a 3 year period, with virtually no need for repair, and chances are it will last way more than 3 years.
The inverse might be a grand down on a Honda Fit lease. Payments well south of $200. Same with a Toyota Yaris. IMHO, if reliability is a must, steer clear of the used car route. In either case, buying at end of lease is an option. And everyone knows how the car was treated.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #4

I understand how appealing the lease option is, but if this person needs help, is it fair to question his ability to keep the lease car in good order? Remember, you will be responsible for any damage at lease turn in. Also, what about insurance? Insurance cost on a lease vehicle is about the highest you can get because the lessor requires more than basic coverage. Not to mention your liability - unless you're going to give money and the car will be leased in his name. In that case, look out, his credit score will not allow you to take advantage of those great lease deals you see advertised. I could go on, but this doesn't sound like the best way to help someone out while maintaining your financial security.

Give him money to buy a used car and agree to pay for any repairs for two to three years whichever period of time you were going to lease the car for him. Bonus is that when the deal is over, if he has actually gotten his stuff together and been responsible for the three years, he'll have a car that should go awhile longer.

If you're going to help someone, that's admirable, but be careful. A few bucks more in aid and some further involvement on your part could be a lot cheaper than being personally liable for something he does even if it is a pure accident. I've been this route with my DD and at 35, she and her DH are finally in cars that I have nothing to do with. I know a lot about this if you want to discuss further.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #5

Jerry1 has a good point.
If Homer Simpson needs help because he stayed too long at the bar, you need to be financially detached. If, in my example. Snow White missed the carriage ride, be involved and engaged.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I understand how appealing the lease option is, but if this person needs help, is it fair to question his ability to keep the lease car in good order? Remember, you will be responsible for any damage at lease turn in. Also, what about insurance? Insurance cost on a lease vehicle is about the highest you can get because the lessor requires more than basic coverage. Not to mention your liability - unless you're going to give money and the car will be leased in his name. In that case, look out, his credit score will not allow you to take advantage of those great lease deals you see advertised. I could go on, but this doesn't sound like the best way to help someone out while maintaining your financial security.

Give him money to buy a used car and agree to pay for any repairs for two to three years whichever period of time you were going to lease the car for him. Bonus is that when the deal is over, if he has actually gotten his stuff together and been responsible for the three years, he'll have a car that should go awhile longer.

If you're going to help someone, that's admirable, but be careful. A few bucks more in aid and some further involvement on your part could be a lot cheaper than being personally liable for something he does even if it is a pure accident. I've been this route with my DD and at 35, she and her DH are finally in cars that I have nothing to do with. I know a lot about this if you want to discuss further.
points well taken. thank you.

thanks to everyone for your input.

this sucks, by the way...I may have to just back off and let him figure it out...but it's probably really not my decision anyway...c'est la vie.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #7

+1 Jerry1 comments.

A lease requires good credit history usually and full coverage insurance so that takes from the bottom line (paycheck).

Work is not good if it costs alot to maintain. It might not be a good job after all.

Can the person walk, use a bike (even an electric bike), or public transportation?
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

How about a certified used car, usually a low mileage lease turn in. Generally well maintained, low mileage, and with most a very good service warranty offered to the new buyer.
Bflotomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Stay out of the situation. Let him handle his own transportation.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

No good deed goes unpunished.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:29 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

What Jerry said.

We're in a similar situation and were advised to have no legal attachment to the car.

Around here however there are deals on (Toyota, GM, I don't remember) for something like $129 a month and $2K down.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
No good deed goes unpunished.
yeah, ain't that the truth...
Old 05-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #13

How about a power assist bike? If this is totally out of your experience, you will likely reject the idea before you read this far. Where your relative lives will have an impact on the success of this approach. But, it is a proven and viable alternative for many.

With more info, I might be able to provide some thoughts about how to make it work. No matter your direction to help your relative, good luck.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
DW and I have a relative who needs (unfortunately) our help. Trying to get his life back together, has work, but no reliable car.

I want to get him into the cheapest leased new car I can. He has no wife, no kids, lives in a decent sized city. He needs wheels that will be reliable. No frills.

I don't want to get him into a used car because he can't afford repairs.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance
If he lives in a decent sized city, why can't he take public transportation until he can save enough money to take care of his own car needs?
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #15

I love lease hacker. They have incredible deals. Nothing current but check out last month's deals. Most are $0 down and CHEAP payments.

https://leasehackr.com/blog?category=Latest%20Deals
Old 05-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
How about a power assist bike? If this is totally out of your experience, you will likely reject the idea before you read this far. Where your relative lives will have an impact on the success of this approach. But, it is a proven and viable alternative for many.

With more info, I might be able to provide some thoughts about how to make it work. No matter your direction to help your relative, good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheitlQueen View Post
If he lives in a decent sized city, why can't he take public transportation until he can save enough money to take care of his own car needs?
I can't definitively answer these questions. I have another relative who lives in the same city (Pittsburgh). Well, he lives out in a suburb. He has done a lot of work helping our mutual BIL get on his feet. The two jobs he works are a long way from where he lives (with a daughter), and commuting from his bed, to one job, to another job, after midnight....I don't think the public transportation option, or a motor assisted bike, is going to work very well for him, especially when the snow starts flying...

But I spoke with the BIL who has been helping and he is well connected to see that our mutual BIL can get a decent used car, and he has a trusted mechanic...so I suspect we'll be going the route of getting a (hopefully) reliable, no frills used car. We are going to be exploring the option of my DW and I cosigning a loan, and hoping that he can make the payments.

He is a willing worker. Not a druggie, or an alcoholic. He went through a divorce, made some bad choices about employment opportunities that didn't work out, followed by a very serious, nearly fatal health issue.

Gotta do what you gotta do, sometimes.

thanks again, all for the constructive and instructive advice. It is much appreciated.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I can't definitively answer these questions. I have another relative who lives in the same city (Pittsburgh). Well, he lives out in a suburb. He has done a lot of work helping our mutual BIL get on his feet. The two jobs he works are a long way from where he lives (with a daughter), and commuting from his bed, to one job, to another job, after midnight....I don't think the public transportation option, or a motor assisted bike, is going to work very well for him, especially when the snow starts flying...

But I spoke with the BIL who has been helping and he is well connected to see that our mutual BIL can get a decent used car, and he has a trusted mechanic...so I suspect we'll be going the route of getting a (hopefully) reliable, no frills used car. We are going to be exploring the option of my DW and I cosigning a loan, and hoping that he can make the payments.

He is a willing worker. Not a druggie, or an alcoholic. He went through a divorce, made some bad choices about employment opportunities that didn't work out, followed by a very serious, nearly fatal health issue.

Gotta do what you gotta do, sometimes.

thanks again, all for the constructive and instructive advice. It is much appreciated.
Lucky to have you in his life.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #18

Thanks for sharing the "how and why." Like GravitySucks said, he's blessed that you are there. But, to keep yourselves honest, please (internally) consider the used/leased car as a gift. If you do get repaid, so much the better.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I got a marketing mailing saying Nissan Sentra (or maybe Versa?) for $109/mo for 36 months.
Here is link to "cheapest" new cars: https://www.caranddriver.com/flipboo...cars-of-2017#1
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Take a look at people trying to get out of a lease... I saw a few that were really cheap... one had like 5 months free on like 18 months left on a lease...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote