Checking Investment Prices

Milkman

Recycles dryer sheets
When I am at work and have the computer running, I probably check my stock prices on my Yahoo page 20 to 30 times a day.

Am I being obsessive, or do many of you do the same thing?

Milkman

I dont know about 20-30 but I do check it several times a day. Its just too easy. We are working every month to put our money there- I dont think its all that bad to watch it.

I figure im not daytrading and it doesnt change my investment strategy Im not really doing any harm. I have also found that as it becomes more ingrained that Im just parking my money there for a long time I am not as tempted to keep going back.

Sometimes I hope that I will eventually be able to be like others on this board and not pay any attention to it except for once a year for rebalancing. But for now- with my miniscule amount there I cant help but watch.

I do it and it can drive me nuts. I just transitioned from nearly 100% equities to a 70/30 allocation, and at the same time I deleted my yahoo portfolio.

I'm going to update my tracking spreadsheet quarterly now instead of monthly, with the intent to move to every-6-months.

My thought process is that watching it and tracking it like a hawk is great when the market is going up, but is really going to be a pisser when we are in a bear market.

So I'm trying to transition to a set-it-and-forget-it 70/30, quit looking at it obsessively, and just maybe get some work done.

Sounds good in theory anyway, but in my heart I suspect it probably won't work !!

- John

Milkman said:
When I am at work and have the computer running, I probably check my stock prices on my Yahoo page 20 to 30 times a day.

Am I being obsessive?

:D :D :D

Milkman said:

Milkman
:D :D :D

Milkman said:

Milkman

I'll put it this way, I manage money for a living, and check the prices of the stocks I recommend WAY less than that............... :LOL: :LOL:

My job (until 6 months ago) was to design/write the parsers
for real time stock data feeds. Of course I wrote a small, custom
program to watch my portfolio in real time all day

I still check way too often, and am trying to break the habit.

Milkman said:

Milkman
Personally I check my accounts every few weeks, and sometimes I forget and go a few months. OTOH, Live is for living and enjoying, so if you enjoy it and are not making irrational trades based upon short term timing whats the harm?

Olav23 said:
Excel stock quote plugin. Then you can tie real dollar terms and create all sorts of wacky views of your money to drive you insane :)

Oh man, excel plus dynamic stock quotes?

I think I have to be alone for a few minutes.......

I have been getting much to focused on stock price movement, ever since I purchased two ETFs (I don't pay attention to Diana because it is a dividend stock in my mind). It is sooo easy to trade ETFs. Rather like watching a horse race.

I manage money for a living too I never look at prices that much either unless I'm watching specific issues and looking at a point to jump in or out.

In look at my actual portfolio MAYBE once a quarter.

I check prices in frequently. I take a peek at the index prices maybe daily or maybe once twice a week. If there is something happening in the news that may impact the market, I might look at the indexes a couple times a day out of curiosity.

I look at the portfolio about once a qtr.

Yeah, I also check Yahoo don't know how many times a day. I can almost get nothing done unless I'm really busy. I think watching over this net worth stuff is getting a bit annoying but can't help being curious. :p

saluki9 said:
I manage money for a living too I never look at prices that much either unless I'm watching specific issues and looking at a point to jump in or out.

In look at my actual portfolio MAYBE once a quarter.

Sounds like me, and I only rebalance once a year, in December............ :LOL: :LOL:

Man, I would really SUCK as a daytrader.............. :LOL: :LOL:

Through my bank, they offer something called Yodlee OneStop. Basically you can link up all your accounts by giving them your passwords/usernames and it polls all your online accounts. One feature I like is that it keeps track from month to month and you get a nice graph of your net worth (assets - all your bills/debts/credit cards).

I like to look at this every month and see how I am trending over time :)

I look once a day tops, in the evening after work. Every quarter I update a couple of spreadheets so that I can track returns, plot trends etc. I only re-balance twice a year if needed.

Couple of times a week and I think I'm over doing it. Only own a couple individual stocks, almost all of it is in good mutual funds. So barring a total meltdown I don't worry much.

I usually check maybe 4 - 5 times a day unless I'm busy doing stuff. Except when the markets down, then I may not look at all.

i check yahoo finance a few times a day mostly because i like to look at the volume throughout the day. most times by lunch you can predict the closing volume down to 50-100 million shares or so. if there are differences in the indexes like today where the nasdaq was down for half the day i like to look at the actives to see why.

Milkman said:

Milkman
I would say yes. I consider stocks a long term investment. Watching that often creates stress...always wondering how much money you are making. You don't actually make anything until you sell.

I usually check my portfolio once before I go off to work and then again when I come home and the market is closed. However, since I bought dndn (the only stock I own) a few weeks ago, I find myself checking that particular stock way more than once before I go off to work. I've also been calling a friend in the middle of the day to see how the stock is doing (it's not been doing so well lately).

I check the Yahoo graph of indexes a few times a day -- particularly when it is going up. When things are down for a while I stop bothering and check in every several days or so. During the 2003-2003 downturn I only checked about once a month -- at that time I was still dripping in so I didn't want to focus my attention on the fact that even some of my recent dollars were shrinking :LOL:

I generally check once during the day to see if it's going to be an up or down day. Then I check again after NAVs are updated for my funds. I don't actually worry if it's up or down, but I like to know how I'm doing. If I notice a big down day I might invest more. But in general, I do it out of curiosity.

Back
Top Bottom