Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Checking / Savings account sign up bonus offers
Old 03-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Received in the mail yesterday an offer from Chase for $300 bonus for opening a checking account (with direct deposit) and $200 for depositing $15K into a saving account for minimum 90 days (5.3% annualized return if I did the math right). Last year bout this time I opened up a CaptialOne 360 checking account (direct deposit also required) and got $400.

I am wondering about any negative ramifications for closing out the CaptialOne 360 account (only opened it to get the $400 bonus) and opening up the checking and savings at Chase (which I plant to close out after qualifying for the bonuses). I don't think it will affect my credit rating but are there other databases that it might negatively impact?

Also ethically what are your opinions about bouncing around and opening accounts just to get the bonus? I am a little uncomfortable, but heck they must know some people are going to do what I am doing.
Billk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't see anything ethically at all. Heck, I sprung for Discover checking about a year ago for a measly sign up bonus $50 and 10 cents back for each check and debit purchase I make. .

That said, are you signing up just for the bonus or another reason? For me, I didn't like getting hit each time which high check printing costs at my then current bank, so switching for me was a good bribe offer I couldn't refuse. Now I get free check printing.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
No adverse effects from doing it.
I have done it repeatedly as a long time customer, it bugs me that they will give bonuses to new business, instead of giving continuing customers a bonus for staying with them.

I plan on doing the $200 offer soon as well.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've done a number of these. A couple were for bonus gifts, an iPod Nano and later an iPod Touch. Recently they have all been for cash bonuses. Both meant a 1099-INT at year end.

Carefully read the requirements and follow them to the letter. Some of mine have been as easy as 10 debit card transactions, another required a direct deposit of over $500 just one time. I usually do these just in my name for simplicity but for that one we had to do a joint account and move DHs pension deposit for one month.

For me the hardest part is going in to close the account after the required period. Some banks allow the teller to close it, others require that you see a customer service person and have a conversation. I'm always clear that I opened the account just for the bonus.

We did a nice one last summer with a checking and savings account for $250 that resulted in liking the new bank location and convenience so much that we dropped our bank of 30 years and moved everything to the new bank!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-06-2016, 12:23 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billk400 View Post
Also ethically what are your opinions about bouncing around and opening accounts just to get the bonus? I am a little uncomfortable, but heck they must know some people are going to do what I am doing.
I have no problem taking an extremely legalistic approach to any agreement I enter into with any corporation. I'll abide by the letter of the agreement but will not impute any moral obligation over and above what is in writing. I expect no more or less from the other side of the agreement.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:28 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:

I am a little uncomfortable, but heck they must know some people are going to
do what I am doing.
Don't feel a bit uncomfortable.

You are participating in a marketing scheme that the bank feels will bring them more money (customers). It worked~you joined up. You can now take home your prize and close the account as soon as you receive the cash

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #7

Check brokerages, they routinely have deposit bonuses for accounts. I have bounced money around over the years and collected a good amount as a result.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #8

I took the Chase $500 checking/savings offer last year. Still using their checking account but downgraded it to Total Checking to avoid any monthly fees. If their savings account interest rates were competitive with others I probably would have kept it but they aren't. Read the fine print about account fees if you make any changes after the promo period is over.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:07 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I did the Chase savings offer last fall-- couldn't do the checking part as I don't have any direct deposit options at the moment.

It took much longer to get the account set up than I thought it would, because they had to ask me all kinds of questions about my finances. And then they tried to sell me on private banking services. All told, I think I was in the branch for about 45 minutes. Closing it was easy -- just filled out a form and they issued me a cashiers check. So probably about an hour spent altogether, for $200. Not a bad use of my time.
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Are there any sign up bonus offers out there today? I had gotten one for Discover some time ago, but did not act on it.
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:47 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnot View Post
Are there any sign up bonus offers out there today? I had gotten one for Discover some time ago, but did not act on it.
Are you asking about checking/savings or CC offers?

Chase has this checking acct bonus offer: https://www.chase.com/checking/offer...DMKqlakCq4ID4g
Old 05-12-2016, 09:50 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes - to clarify I am looking for Checking/Savings. Thank you for the link - that is what I was looking for.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:01 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Last week did Chase, in name of my trust. They identify trust as business, so they shifted it to personal id account. CS told me, it I could find another coupon my wife could also open bonus accounts in her name. Thanks REWahoo for the link.
HpRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:12 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I received $5,000 from my brokerage when I told them that Fidelity had offered me that amount to switch. Not only did I not feel guilty, they thanked me for letting them match the offer!
Islandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:20 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Islandtraveler - Wow $5,000!