Cheese with my whine?

2B

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm getting tired of all this crapola. I remember when a 1% market move was a big deal either up or down. Now, a 1% market move is considered a "flat" day. I'm tired of hearing after the 800th time about "we're entering a recession." If I never hear about "deleveraging" again it will be too soon.

Oh well, I'm still down 25% for the year. I'm now 50/50 (equities/fixed) in my asset allocation and won't move back to my 60/40 until the market does it for me. I just hope it won't move me to 40/60 first.

Here's a chance for anyone interested to vent.... :rolleyes:

If you had an annuity you wouldn't need to whine about the market. :cool:

An annuity is the answer. Can the fees really be worse than a 40% market haircut?;) As far a venting goes, I'm to the point I've adapted my thinking to this crazy market. Nothing I can do now but ride it out. I'm factoring in 7 - 10 years to get back to where I was and that may be wishful thinking. I just don't know. Oh well, hopefully I can get in my golf today before the rain comes. I've got my cooler stocked with my daily medicine so I'm ready to go. :)

Right now , even an EIA might look pretty good (unless the underlying co. got in trouble). Those free dinner seminar guys will probably come out of the woodwork now.

What's nuts is, my real estate losses are now matched by my stock losses (percentage-wise). Yikes!

nothing to do but ride it out - what I have in stock mutual funds is dead money for several years.
What I want to whine about are those with defined pension plans and COLAs; social security and savings and asking - can I retire?

I expected this but not so soon and not from you. I should have known better.

As far as annuities go, I'd still be better off in CDs.

I expected this but not so soon and not from you. I should have known better.

As far as annuities go, I'd still be better off in CDs.

That's what the banks WANT you to think..........;)

:D:D:D:D

Ya still got it kid! (Sometimes you have to go high and tight, if the guy thinks he owns the plate).

2b has to have a little masochism working for him.:cool:

I used to listen to a radio show host, who touted his annuity all the time. I admit I often wondered if it would work for me. That was before I frequent this forum, and see so many are so strongly against it. At this point, I have to ask myself why anyone would trust the companies like AIG that brought the entire world into this mess? I read about one financial co. that was able to sell $60B worth of CDS, while having only $500M of collateral. Would you buy annuities from such companies?

nothing to do but ride it out - what I have in stock mutual funds is dead money for several years.
What I want to whine about are those with defined pension plans and COLAs; social security and savings and asking - can I retire?

Me too, on all of the above. We have a friend who has a COLA'd pension and social security AND pulled all of his money out of the market the first time it hit 8500 (some weeks ago). I guess you never feel safe, although a pension and SS would make me feel better.

As one who does have a rather modest pension coming to me, I can say that the stress of a 40% drop is still quite intense. Early retirement seems rather unwise at the moment. The only grace I see is that, during the 3-5 extra years I now have to work to make up for the losses, perhaps my savings will recover.

Ya still got it kid! (Sometimes you have to go high and tight, if the guy thinks he owns the plate).
Welcome back, Jarhead!! And check your PMs for an invitation.

2B, I think REW and Jarhead are teasing you in the sense of friendly camaraderie shared by everyone of their [-]advanced age[/-] seniority. Sort of a "Welcome to Our Curmudgeon's Club" initiation rite...

Personally I'm going to start working the phrase "doom&gloom" into these, uhm, "doom&gloom" threads. Then I'll be easily able to find them in 12-18 months for a "Remember when?" thread.

Personally I'm going to start working the phrase "doom&gloom" into these, uhm, "doom&gloom" threads. Then I'll be easily able to find them in 12-18 months for a "Remember when?" thread.

I was thinking the most depressing of them could be made a sticky so we could read it every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom