Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rented an Impala LTZ (no charge upgrade from Enterprise!) for a week for a family reunion some months ago. Beautiful car. Smooth, quiet, good power (3.6L engine), roomy back seat, big trunk, and ~25mpg in mixed driving. I'm not a big-car fan for daily driving, but the Impala was MUCH better than large sedans of the past. Considered buying one but I really prefer a smaller car for my urban commuting.
FWIW- Consumer Reports 2020 Used Car Reliability guide shows the '17-18 Impala with a better than ave reliability rating, and their best rating for engine & tranny problems.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2020, 08:04 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I drove them for years as a company car and they were reliable good quality vehicles. We turned them in with 60k - 100k miles (it changed from 60k to 100k at some point when we switched leasing companies) so I'm not sure how they hold up with higher mileage.
Skyward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:07 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
It should be noted that GM has made some design modifications in the past few years to the 3.6L engine in an effort to eliminate the timing chain issues of the past. How effective these efforts are remains to be seen.
FWIW...The GM 3.6 actually has 3 timing chains. The issue as I understand it is that the direct injection causes pressure to build in the crankcase that then causes higher than normal oil consumption. When the oil gets low the timing chains can't throw off heat and then tend to stretch over time causing run issues. The solution is to check the oil level regularly and change it more often that stated.

The other issue with that direct injection (GM 3.6) engine was that early versions tended to get intake valve build-up that over time caused the intake valves to not seal and hence run-time performance issues. There have been a couple of improvements in the engine so that this is less of a problem with later models. Cheap gasoline (ie. not tier 1) tends to exacerbate the problem.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:22 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just returned from an LA turn around (320 miles each way) drop step daughter at UCLA and go back home with a stop at the Harris Ranch Steakhouse for supper. Twelve hours total, left at 11 AM and back at 11 PM.

No problem, nice car -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:01 PM   #45

Tier one gasoline is better?

Just regular or does the blanket statement cover all grades?

What about diesel?
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:31 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I run regular, Chevron or Shell.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:16 PM   #47

I guess that is my question .... independent testing to show it is different?

Seriously, I have used all sorts of fuel - cars, boats, trucks ... never have known or felt a difference in performance.

Kinda like oils 😂
Old 01-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #48
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Bogleheads think so.
After reading a lot there and other places, I now only use Tier 1.
We have to use high-test per Audi’s recommendations.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

after 35 years in the oil & gas business, I am in the camp that all fuels sold for vehicles in the U.S. must meet the appropriate ASTM spec and any enforceable local/state government specs.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:11 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I don't even know what "Tier 1" is.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:09 PM   #51

Re use of premium for Audi ... is it required or recommended?

Most report regular is just fine assuming it is a modern engine with fuel/ignition management controls.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:32 AM   #52

Quote:

Just regular or does the blanket statement cover all grades?

What about diesel?
Can't help with diesel.

Here's the deal why Tier 1 has measurable better outcomes in many GDI engines.

The GM 3.6 engine is (gasoline) direct injection. With such (improved) engines there is no gasoline flow over the input valves. Then the exhaust gas re-circulation system sends all the crankcase vapors back through the input system to be burn't in the combustion chamber. So since there is no gasoline flow over the input valves exhaust gas recirculation crust tends to build over the input valves. Eventually this causes problems with input valve sealing and performance.

Where Tier 1 gasoline helps is that less crankcase vapors are produced and therefore less buildup on the input valves take place for GDI engines. I have seen papers that suggest that the ratio of build up on the valves is around a ten to one ratio of less build-up when using Tier 1 gasoline in GDI engines.

There's quite a bit to read online - google something like GDI engine input valve problems and read away.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:51 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
We have to use high-test per Audi’s recommendations.
"High-test" reveals we're in the same generation. My grandfather called it ethyl.

Octane difference, sure, brand not so much IMO. Many of the no-name gasoline stations get their gas from the name brands. For those stations that do, they often also get their signage from that brand, which with a good eye one can discern.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:52 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I don't even know what "Tier 1" is.
It's called "Top Tier" (never heard of tier 1) and here is an article that gets into it. Basically, more detergent and Top Tier fuels may not contain metallic additives, which can harm the vehicle emission system and create pollutants. As of 2018, Top Tier Detergent Gasoline is available from 61 licensed retail brands and Top Tier Diesel Fuel is available from 5 licensed retail brands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Ti...rgent_Gasoline

Article by Clark Howard's team: https://clark.com/cars/top-tier-fuel-detergent-gas/

As far as the Impala...I have rented several and think that GM has really upped their game in the last year or so. I am not in the market for a larger car, but if I was, it would be a top contender.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:22 AM   #55

DM had 2. The latest is much nicer than previous gen. Very inexpensive V6 option.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:05 AM   #56
gone traveling

Quote:
Re use of premium for Audi ... is it required or recommended?.
Audi says: required.
It is an A3 Turbo.
I really don't care about motor fuel price. We only buy 200 gallons/year.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Did the wiki and looks like I'm good as Chevron and Shell are on the list. Also good to not have to use premium as it can have more additives.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:45 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I knew I was going to get a "large car" for my first new car buy. I was considering Lincoln, Chrysler 300 and Impala. I was a bit surprised to find that the Impala is bigger than the 300.

I've got 14,000 miles on now and I'm still smiling!
Old 01-08-2020, 12:16 PM   #59

So, did quick look re Audi "requiring" premium ... can't find anyone who posted a gas filler sticker photo or from the manual - and, it may vary by year.

However, the below indicates premium in most Audi's is "recommended," not "required."

This is an ongoing debate - and, usually comes down to:
- your engine's control systems manage timing and other factors to prevent detonation
- this could, although it is another ongoing debate, cause damage, but no one has any real data
- anyone who has an Audi has the money to buy premium (an irrelevant, but nonetheless oft repeated refrain - not sure if the refrain applies to used Audis :-))

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...2931706/page7/
Old 01-08-2020, 12:26 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Not to mention there used to be a big difference, now it's like a dime a gallon from reg to mid and a dime from mid to high.