Chevy Impala

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Looking for the big car ride. Has anyone ever owned or drive now the Chevy Impala? Some great deals out there now on 2019. I know 2020 is the last year of the production.

I drove a 2018 Impala rental for a few hours while my truck was being repaired last year. Seemed like a nice vehicle, although not exactly the living room sofa ride of the big cars of yesteryear.

I've owned several Impala's... The last one I had was a 1966 model with a 327 and a Turbo HydraMatic, which I sold a few years ago. It "almost" qualified as a land yacht, from my POV...I'm not sure my perspective is going to be of much value on newer Impala's. :)

Last edited:
They're quite a beautiful car. But my problem is with some of the mechanics. The optional 3.6 engine has the horsepower I would want as a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engine is not quite strong enough for such a large car.
The 3.6 engine has a long history of valve train problems--cam chains, gears and guides. Fixing the engine is a $3K+ expense.
My son has fixed his 3.6 engine once and it failed again. He sprung for a new GM engine and continues to run the car.
For the price range the Impala is in, I'd be looking to buy a Camry or Avalon--or even a Honda Accord. My 2018 Camry Hybrid was $27K, substantially less than an Impala and it gets 49 mpg in town or on the road.

Nice quiet, comfortable cars. I've had a few in the past. My last one had the 5.3L V-8 and was a torque monster. The new ones are a different story. If you are only planning to keep it two or three years, you would probably be ok. But as Bamaman said above, the 3.6 engine can have major issues down the road. I'd look at what Toyota, Honda, Subaru and Hyundai have to offer before making a decision on the Impala. Unfortunately, it's tough to find that big car ride anymore except in large SUV's. The low profile tires and tight suspensions on many new cars favor handling over ride quality, and result in annoying impact harshness on bumpy roads.

Last edited:
They're quite a beautiful car. But my problem is with some of the mechanics. The optional 3.6 engine has the horsepower I would want as a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engine is not quite strong enough for such a large car.
The 3.6 engine has a long history of valve train problems--cam chains, gears and guides. Fixing the engine is a $3K+ expense.
My son has fixed his 3.6 engine once and it failed again. He sprung for a new GM engine and continues to run the car.
For the price range the Impala is in, I'd be looking to buy a Camry or Avalon--or even a Honda Accord. My 2018 Camry Hybrid was $27K, substantially less than an Impala and it gets 49 mpg in town or on the road.
Thanks Bamaman. This info right here is enough for me to wave this car.

I don’t know. I never kept mine long because I leased them, but SIL has a 2015 LTZ with over 110K on it so it’s not like they all have engine issues. It’s a nice ride and if you get a really good deal, add a extended warranty and you’ll be fine. There may be better cars, but the Impala is a nice one. Personally, I’d be looking to see if there was good deals on the Buick LaCrosse. I really liked those. Buick’s are so quiet. But I’ve moved into driving a truck now. Not as nice a ride, but very useful to have around.

I saw a used Impala on the lot at the local Nissan dealership a few months ago, and was a bit tempted for a moment. It was a 2018 2LT or something like that, with about 35,000 miles, and I think they were asking $17K. Didn't seem like a bad starting point. I didn't look under the hood to see what engine it had. It was listed as having the 3.6 V6, but they also listed the EPA rating of something like 22/30, which I think was the 2.5 rating. I'm thinking the 3.6 is 19/28?

Anyway, the car crossed my mind a couple times, and there was a few times when I'd have a good day on the market I'd even think hey, I could cash out some and go buy that Impala! But, in the back of my mind, I was just getting a bad vibe about it, so I passed. And eventually, it wasn't showing in their online inventory any more, and I figured, no great loss.

I did drive one at a test drive event a few years back, a well-equipped model with leather, sunroof, and an MSRP of around $40K or so. I never thought the day would come that an Impala would sticker for that, but the Impala has definitely moved upscale with the later generation. I used to have a 2000 Buick Park Ave Ultra, and I'd say the Impala would have made a worthy alternative to that.

My Dad has driven Buicks forever, and he is into that cushy type ride and loves them and they last.....so you may want to check out the Buicks. For a non american car I would look at the larger Lexus as it also has the cushy ride.

I love my 2019 Impala. Smooth, quiet and strong.

Like this one RobbieB. Nice looking ride!

Attachments

• chevrolet-impala-midnight-925.jpg
    chevrolet-impala-midnight-925.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 45
Here's mine. I paid an grand extra for the Pearl Tricoat paint!

43980483311_3231ef6f2d_o.jpg

Beautiful! I remember them back in the day. They were very popular with the young car enthusiasts.

My Impala is still going strong after 55 years.
6740-albums252-picture2076.jpg

I live in NW Indiana so I am wondering how it will do in snow seeing that is front wheel drive.

That one has the 300 HP motor in it, I fear no onramps!

Better than rear wheel drive, but not as good as all wheel drive.

No and don't plan on it either. I can wait for spring to drive to Reno - :)

I drove a rental Impala from SW PA to Florida back in November. Not a bad car, it kept up with traffic at 90 mph, rode smooth, easy on gas, big trunk. We took three suitcases, and nine cases of wine to DBIL and DSIL. I usually drive a small pickup, a Trailblazer or a Torrent.

I drove a rental Impala from SW PA to Florida back in November. Not a bad car, it kept up with traffic at 90 mph, rode smooth, easy on gas, big trunk. We took three suitcases, and nine cases of wine to DBIL and DSIL. I usually drive a small pickup, a Trailblazer or a Torrent.

Trunk temp isn’t too hot for wine? I’ve never measured that but always suspected it could be an issue.

Back then, Impala was the top trim line, i.e. Biscayne, Belair, Impala, and not a model unto itself.

Back
Top Bottom