Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #41
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I prefer the flavour of the dark meat. Good in Cajun cookin'. So, thighs for me.

Dang. Has anyone noticed how hard it is to find chicken livers anymore?
Local stores and farmers have livers hearts gizzards. When I lived in Detroit the stores had turkey innards.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's true that not too many grocery chains carry it anymore. Good for your tastebuds, but bad for your arteries due to high cholesterol content.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:52 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

My retirement depends on everyone eating more chicken: Fried, Stewed, BBQ'd.
theloneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:04 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
My retirement depends on everyone eating more chicken: Fried, Stewed, BBQ'd.
Col. Sanders? Is that you?
Old 04-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I prefer the flavour of the dark meat. Good in Cajun cookin'. So, thighs for me.

Go to any store with black or Mexican customers. I love chicken livers and eat them once a week or so.

Also, my whole chickens usualy but not always come with all the giblets. ! Muy sabroso!

Ha
Old 04-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Whole Foods Market

if you have a lot of Russians living around you, find a Russian deli or grocery store. they eat that crap
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

They sell less of them these days, so they keep them in the freezer section in grocery stores around here. Same place where the frozen turkeys, ducks and geese are located.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are in the South, there should be no problems finding chicken livers.
theloneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #49

[quote=Khan;806923]Local stores and farmers have livers hearts gizzards. When I lived in Detroit the stores had turkey innards.[/quote

Maybe this was a Michigan thing but back in the 70's there was a chicken joint called Famous Recipe. Wife and I stopped there alot and one of our favorites was livers and gizzards. We'd get a pint of each to go with our chicken dinners. I agree, it wasn't the best thing for you but we couldn't resist. OTOH, never heard of turkey innards. That' a new one. Then again, did you ever eat the feet and necks? Did when I was a kid.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #50
Gone but not forgotten

[quote=JOHNNIE36;807056]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Local stores and farmers have livers hearts gizzards. When I lived in Detroit the stores had turkey innards.[/quote

Maybe this was a Michigan thing but back in the 70's there was a chicken joint called Famous Recipe. Wife and I stopped there alot and one of our favorites was livers and gizzards. We'd get a pint of each to go with our chicken dinners. I agree, it wasn't the best thing for you but we couldn't resist. OTOH, never heard of turkey innards. That' a new one. Then again, did you ever eat the feet and necks? Did when I was a kid.
Chicken foot broth is yummy, I buy the feet locally. I save up necks from chicken and make soup.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #51

Speaking of chicken, has anyone heard of "beer can chicken"? I've never tried it but you take a whole chicken, open a can of beer, stick it up the chicken's butt and set it upright on the grille. Don't know any details about cooking time, etc. but I hear it's great. Has anyone tried this? Think it's a Florida redneck thing.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Think it's a Florida redneck thing.
Ahem. I'm not from Florida, but I've done beer can chicken. It works well as long as you season the chicken well as the beer doesn't add much flavor. It does do a very nice job of adding moisture so you end up with a very tender bird.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #53
Gone but not forgotten

Some accessories:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Speaking of chicken, has anyone heard of "beer can chicken"? I've never tried it but you take a whole chicken, open a can of beer, stick it up the chicken's butt and set it upright on the grille. Don't know any details about cooking time, etc. but I hear it's great. Has anyone tried this? Think it's a Florida redneck thing.
Amazon.com: beer can chicken - Home & Garden: Home & Garden
Old 04-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I stopped eating livers when someone convinced me they were bad for you. True?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you are in the South, there should be no problems finding chicken livers.
No such luck, LR. I am in Calgary, Alberta, Canadistan. Baton Rouge is a far piece from here.

El Gitano
Old 04-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #56
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander06 View Post
The majority of the chickens sold in the supermarket are termed "frankenchickens" because the are a hybrid that matures in approximately eight weeks and must be butchered at that time because by that age they begin having heart attacks and their legs break due to their rapid excessive weight gains. Sounds gross to me!!!!!!! But nothing a little ketchup won't fix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha.
These hybrids are Cornish crosses. These are the chickens you buy at the store since they grow to ~10 lbs in 6-8 weeks!

We got 25 chicks for $0.85 ea. ~4 weeks ago. 3 died, most can't walk well, the legs grow slower than their bodies, and they have to be butchered before 12 weeks or they will die of heart attacks! Still cheaper to go to Costco etc to buy whole chicken since 50lb bags of feed is more expensive than buying truck loads like the large chick houses do. We thought we would give it a try. Next year we will try another breed that does not grow so fast and we will try to free range them. The Cornish Crosses do not forage well (too lazy to walk?).

The Cornish Cross: What is wrong with this picture?!
timekeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I stopped eating livers when someone convinced me they were bad for you. True?
the russians and others from the poorer european countries say otherwise. but who knows, over there they eat the non-muscle parts because it's cheaper.
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

The amount of dietary cholesterol has a pretty small impact on serum cholesterol levels. Liver enzymes have more of an effect of cholesterol profile.

That being said, I haven't found chicken livers to be restricted to poor people of any nation. On the contrary, its usually considered to be a delicacy.

While fresh chicken livers are - and should be - available in specialty markets, they are also available frozen in almost all regular supermarkets.
randyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Whole Foods Market

if you have a lot of Russians living around you, find a Russian deli or grocery store. they eat that crap
Not at all respectful.

Ha
Old 04-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not sure that someone who has enjoyed liver pate or other delicacies would necessarily call it crap. Other "crap" could include escargots, mortadella, morcilla, raw oysters, chicken feet, bone marrow, fish sauce, kimchee, pigs feet or any number of great food that plain jane palates don't necessarily like.
randyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote