Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-16-2009, 06:59 AM   #81
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm thinking hummingbird breasts.....
I'm thinking another kind of breasts
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Eat it raw?

on Mark Bittman's show he paid a visit to Hard Rock Cafe in Vegas one time. The chef there has a raw beef dish. not like steak, but more like raw hamburger meat. I think i had something similar at a local NYC area chain called Benihanna's. One year it was good, the next year not so good. but i never got sick from it.
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:06 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
True. I forgot that option.

However, I never have steak tartare, or carpaccio. I have not even tried sashimi. I don't think it would kill me, but cooking makes food taste better, IMO, even when the meat is rare. Man discovered fire for a reason, no?
any place that serves raw beef means it is very fresh and good quality. with fish they can get away with so so quality. tons of sushi places serve the cheapo farmed salmon with no flavor. the good sushi places server the wild caught that is worth the price
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

"there is a famous british chef who cooks bone marrow, forgot the name"

Fergus Henderson. I had the same dish (ripped off by Garbrielle Hamilton at Prune at 1st and 1st). Roasted veal marrow bones, spread on toast with sea salt and parsley, caper and shallot salad with lemon juice. Really, really good.

I don't think you could qualify Benihana's as a "local NYC chain".

As far as carpaccio or tartare is concerned, the quality of the meat is very important, as is finely chopping or grinding it yourself. You're not going to eat 16 ounces of it, but it is again great on toast points. Its not better or worse than a grilled steak, just a completely different experience. There's a great recipe in Bourdain's Les Halles cookbook.
randyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As kids, we'd often get a bite or two of raw hamburger meat when dinner was cooking. That was before Salmonella was invented. I still remember the taste -- quite good.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #86
Administrator

Don't forget kibbeh. It is prepared a number of ways, but raw with onions and mint is delicious...
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyman65 View Post
You're not going to eat 16 ounces of it, but it is again great on toast points.
Toast points? How cute!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

"That was before Salmonella was invented."

Another reason to choose your meat source wisely. Beef is rarely - if ever - contaminated with salmonella. e. Coli is the much more common problem, and is almost always because of the acid conditions of grain-fed cattle stomachs.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

"Toast points? How cute!!!"

C'mon. I didn't make up the term - I just use it when appropriate.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

I'm gonna ask my chef over at Mickey's for some of those. But first I'll have to figure out how to say it in Spanish, or Chinese.

Ha
Old 04-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Personally I think salmon and tuna taste wonderful raw. Tuna, IMO, tastes better raw than cooked. Salmon - either way is delicious. There is a fish called hamachi (translated as yellowtail, a Japanese type of amberjack) that is also fabulous raw. Gotta eat at a sushi bar that really has the fresh sashimi grade fish though.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
As kids, we'd often get a bite or two of raw hamburger meat when dinner was cooking. That was before Salmonella was invented. I still remember the taste -- quite good.
I still eat most of my beef raw, 3-5 times / week. Very lean steak and 4-10% fat burger primarily. Sometimes I zap the burger up to body temperature, add chopped onions and shredded cheese. Only 15%+ fat burger gets cooked, mainly used as seasoning. I inherited this habit from my dad 40 years ago. Much cheaper than sushi, which is also great.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ohhhh, why did I read this thread at 7:52 a.m.?......
well, by all means, let's continue the gross out session.
Ever heard of tripe?
It is featured on pretty much every small Italian restaurant menu in the local area.
A former co-w*rker ordered it one time while we were at lunch. She was ecstatic, I was trying not to be

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripe
Enjoy the enlarged view at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Trippa.jpg
Old 04-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #94
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
I still eat most of my beef raw, 3-5 times / week. Very lean steak and 4-10% fat burger primarily. Sometimes I zap the burger up to body temperature, add chopped onions and shredded cheese. Only 15%+ fat burger gets cooked, mainly used as seasoning. I inherited this habit from my dad 40 years ago. Much cheaper than sushi, which is also great.
I like raw beef, very lean. Grew up eating it that way. Saturday morning Mother would hit the deli and buy fresh ground chuck and some sour rye bread to spread it on; Father liked his with a slice of raw onion, I like a light sprinkle of kosher salt.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
well, by all means, let's continue the gross out session.
Ever heard of tripe?
It is featured on pretty much every small Italian restaurant menu in the local area.
A former co-w*rker ordered it one time while we were at lunch. She was ecstatic, I was trying not to be

Tripe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Enjoy the enlarged view at File:Trippa.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's funny how similar the ingredients of many southern dishes are to ethnic food. My mother made a tripe soup with hominy, kernel corn, green beans, tomatoes and onions that is pretty similar to menudo just not near so hot. I think it was because the people lived close to the land and were poor. After leaving home I never had tripe for years until I moved to LA. First place I lived was Brooklyn Avenue, formerly a Jewish community but by the time I got there Mexican. I lined up for menudo with all the hung over locals on Sunday mornings. The pepper seeds would hide in the tripe pockets-talk about hot!
Old 04-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Ever heard of tripe?
Yes, there's a fair amount of it posted on this board...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I'm thinking another kind of breasts
I'm sure you weren't talking about this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Yes, there's a fair amount of it posted on this board...
I'm sure you were talking about this....
Old 04-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, one more thing to add. Y'all are much more sophisticated than I am. No meat passes my lips unless it's been near fire...one way or another....
Old 04-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Its not sophistication, its just enjoying food the way it tastes best. I can steam littlenecks or eat them raw. Both are good, but you lose the taste of the clam which was in the water an hour before if its steamed.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh yeah, one more thing to add. Y'all are much more sophisticated than I am. No meat passes my lips unless it's been near fire...one way or another....
Make that 2 of us. I like my steaks and prime rib nice and rare, but it does have to be cooked.
Raw sushi? Just the idea of it makes me go Blech.
I do like the cooked fish sushi rolls. Does that count?