Chicken: Whole or Parts?

Thank you all for buying the yucky breasts. I'll help keep the chicken parts balanced by buying the packages of legs & thighs. (sometimes boneless/skinless thighs when on sale) (actually, still eating raw vegan stuff when dining at home...BUT, when I was cooking poultry - it's all about the dark meat!)

10# Legs and Thighs cost $4, on sale. Roast em up until the meat is all cooked. Yield about 4# of cooked chicken, plus at least 6 pints of stock. Altogether, maybe $15 to $20 worth of supper stuff for a direct time investment of maybe an hour, once you've done it a few times.
Plus the stock is unsalted (necessary, for us salt intolerant folks) and really tastes like chicken!

BTW, boning the thighs isn't too difficult. We often buy the big value pack, then I bone them and freeze them in sets of 4-5.

I work at walmart and sometimes they have chicken that is about to go bad and they sell it for nearly nothing. I bought four 10 lbs bags of things and legs for $2 a piece. Since they expired at midnight I made sure they were in the freezer by 11:30pm after I got off work.

I work at walmart and sometimes they have chicken that is about to go bad and they sell it for nearly nothing. I bought four 10 lbs bags of things and legs for $2 a piece. Since they expired at midnight I made sure they were in the freezer by 11:30pm after I got off work.
Nothing better than deep fried, almost bad, chicken "things"...:)

Yeah, there's nothing like an engineered chicken part which tastes like nothing and needs to be doctored to keep it from drying out.

I prefer the flavour of the dark meat. Good in Cajun cookin'. So, thighs for me.

Dang. Has anyone noticed how hard it is to find chicken livers anymore?

I prefer the flavour of the dark meat. Good in Cajun cookin'. So, thighs for me.

Local stores and farmers have livers hearts gizzards. When I lived in Detroit the stores had turkey innards.

It's true that not too many grocery chains carry it anymore. Good for your tastebuds, but bad for your arteries due to high cholesterol content. :(

Go to any store with black or Mexican customers. I love chicken livers and eat them once a week or so.

Also, my whole chickens usualy but not always come with all the giblets. ! Muy sabroso!

Ha

Whole Foods Market

if you have a lot of Russians living around you, find a Russian deli or grocery store. they eat that crap

They sell less of them these days, so they keep them in the freezer section in grocery stores around here. Same place where the frozen turkeys, ducks and geese are located.

Local stores and farmers have livers hearts gizzards. When I lived in Detroit the stores had turkey innards.[/quote

Maybe this was a Michigan thing but back in the 70's there was a chicken joint called Famous Recipe. Wife and I stopped there alot and one of our favorites was livers and gizzards. We'd get a pint of each to go with our chicken dinners. I agree, it wasn't the best thing for you but we couldn't resist. OTOH, never heard of turkey innards. That' a new one. Then again, did you ever eat the feet and necks? Did when I was a kid.

Local stores and farmers have livers hearts gizzards. When I lived in Detroit the stores had turkey innards.[/quote

Maybe this was a Michigan thing but back in the 70's there was a chicken joint called Famous Recipe. Wife and I stopped there alot and one of our favorites was livers and gizzards. We'd get a pint of each to go with our chicken dinners. I agree, it wasn't the best thing for you but we couldn't resist. OTOH, never heard of turkey innards. That' a new one. Then again, did you ever eat the feet and necks? Did when I was a kid.

Chicken foot broth is yummy, I buy the feet locally. I save up necks from chicken and make soup.

Back
Top Bottom